The 20 Gallon Goldfish Graveyard. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The 20 Gallon Goldfish Graveyard.

Where goldfish go to die.
Well in all seriousness this is not my tank. But rather my friends mother's tank.
She for a long while, has been trying to keep a fancy goldfish alive. After many years and many many goldfish we finally managed to convince her that maybe, just maybe, a 5 gallon was not the right home for a goldfish.
As is her normal way, she just went ahead and bought a new tank. This time it was a 20 gallon high. She just refuses to go any higher with the tank. So a larger one is in the future.
But since this tank was bigger, she could get more fish right? Thats what she thought. She went ahead and bought 3 oranda's. And has been buying 3 orandas almost every month or so. For the past 2 years.
During one of the good bouts, where the goldfish lived longer than two months. I came over and planted my friends 5 gallon betta tank (still going weird as it has LED over it) one day. And her mother decided that live plants were the most ownderful thing since sliced bread. She had 1 T8 incandescent bulb on top of a 24" tank. I believe she came home with an anubias nana vals, somethign called frill, shoreweed, water wisteria, red ludwigia (lots of red ludwigia) and hornwort. All of them died except the anubias hornwort and red ludwigia. She tore them all out becuase of how scraggly they became.
Shortly after that her two goldfish died, leaving her with one. Which she promptly bought another and introduced a terrible case of ich that killed them in matter of days. She also overdosed the tank with medicine killing the plants off and probably the goldfish.
She blamed all fo this on the plants, but still wanted to try.
Which brings me to the present day. We managed to convince her that continuously buying fish and plants was far more expensive than investing a proper setup from the getgo.
We got an aquaclear 50 and started cycling it. One of the most frustrating aspects of all of this is how cheap she is. She is really not willing to invest in a proper setup.
She refused to change the tank, or replace the light fixture. She was willing to change out the bulb for something in the 6,500 k range. Were hoping it makes a difference. She refuses to get rid of the large plastic tree stump in the direct middle of the tank. And she refuses to get rid of the pink purple and blue clown puke gravel.
It is getting better though. She bought the bulbs. And let us handle the plants and scaping.
The stump was moved to the far left, and a sloping wave was added.
Anubias was added below the stump one one side. And a large clump of java fern was added to the other.
It was looking real good. It was at that time that she told us she wanted a stem plant in there. But wasn't willing to drive to get one, or order one online. we had to get one for $10 or under locally. Which, in all honesty, petsmart is the largest supplier of the most variety of plants near me. So I was not sure what to do. What stem plant would even grow in that light let alone be available locally.
I didnt really find anything but we diced to chance it on a large pot of creeping jenny form a pond store.
We planted it today and are gonna see what happens. It is on a hill at least 5 inches form the bottom fo the tank. Heres to hoping.
Oh. And we got her hooked up with a koi breeder that imports specimens of quality show goldfish from japan. He had some beautiful tosakins. She also agreed to keep just one fancy in that tank. And only one.
Sorry for the long story thing. I felt like I should give some background on this thing. I will take a picture next time I am over. Looks pretty cute. From now on it will be updates and changes in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The anubias, fissidens, java fern look the same.
My friend.. We will call her Melissa. Because that is her name. Lol
Anyways, she had been regaling with tales of how horrifying the creeping jenny had been looking and how the whole plants was melting into a fine brown mush.
I got there yesterday to see a healthy bunch of plants with a few dead leaves. It isnt thriving but so far is isnt dying.
We are facing a few common problems with this tank that we normally face. The plants grow. But they never look great.
Our main concern is the java fern. We are never really expecting the stem plants to look good. But how to get a lovely green big bushy bunch of java fern is a mystery to us. We would love to figure it out though.
Another thing that eludes us the algae. This things has a near constant supply of brown diatoms, fuzzy slimey clearish white stuff (no idea what that stuff is, looks like a thick layer of biofilm), a slimey dark green algae that coats the glass only, and eventually if not scrubbed, stays forever. And cloudy water.
Since I'm not there all the time. they tend to get lazy and not maintain the tank. But since upgrading the filter and the lighting and slowly cycling the tank we were hoping that some of the algae would go away. But the green and white stuff is back, and the diatoms. but not as bad as before. I have a nerite snail being shipped and Im hoping it helps. I might try to add an oto or two in the future but that tank is pretty much overstocked as it is with one goldfish.
I'm hoping to get a healthy tank together in the future.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode