Frenchy's 40 breeder - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frenchy's 40 breeder

Hey yall i just took my goldfish out of this tank as i think this will be the best tank to use for what i want to do.

I have been lurking every once in a while on this site and i finally joined (yay!) and i figured i might as well get my journal started up.

Tank: 40 gallon breeder
lighting: 36" nova extreme slr
substrate: Black diamond blasting sand
filteration: Rena xp1 supplimented with 2 powerheads for better nutrient circulation
ferts: EI dosing
CO2: 20 lb tank with all the gagets

Im not sure how soon i will be setting this up but i have been collecting the stuff that i know i will need to have a high light setup.

Fish will mostly be rainbow fish that i work with. probably threadfins, gertrudes, and then some other fish like a pair of german gold rams, smudgespot cories and some otto cats and a SAE.

Plants are not decided as of just yet but im finding a lot of what i like. Mostly red ones but im not doing a tank full of reds but i wonder what it would look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
If I was going to start a tank and wasn't in much of a hurry,I'd think about mineralized top soil. I've been wishing we had a substrate that provided some nutrition. You can read about it here on this forum...I'm not sure the cost, but I was assuming it was cheaper than aqua soil or Eco complete..

Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

i was looking at the substrate sub-forum and i think i found what i want to go with its called black diamond blasting sand....i can get it rather easy and since its cold now here i cant get the soil going like i have read. Plus i will be setting the tank up in a few weeks just not right now.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

well i was looking around on some sites today and came across aquatic plant centrals plantfinder....that thing is amazing but needs more info...

i have a small start of a list to some plants that i have seen for sale on here and what i found on the plantfinder. i hope im not getting into way over my head but i always like a challenge.

here goes:

Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Barclaya longifolia
Blyxa japonica
Cabomba caroliniana 'Silver-Green'
Cabomba furcata
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko'
Cyperus helferi
Eichhornia diversifolia
Helanthium tenellum
Hemianthus glomeratus
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila difformis 'varigated'
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'
Limnophila repens 'Mini'
Limnophila sp. 'mini vietnam'
Lindernia rotundifolia 'Variegated'
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia sp. 'red'
Ludwigia senegalensis
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Nesaea sp. 'Red Leaved'
Nymphaea lotus 'Red'
Nymphaea micrantha
Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon stellatus
Pogostemon yatabeanus
Ranunculus inundatus
Rotala macrandra
Rotala macrandra 'Variegated'
Rotala sp 'mini'
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'
Staurogyne Repens
Staurogyne sp 'purple'
Utricularia graminifolia

do i sound crazy?! LOL i think so but there is so many pretty plants out their that i would like to try....the sky is the limit
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think most people when they are first getting started out they end up going crazy with plant species. Then slowly they figure out what grows best and what they like best and scale back. So I don't think it is crazy just get a few at a time.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

i think its like fish you buy some and then figure out you like how they act and their personalities and get rid of the rest.

im going to go dutch i think. i have been looking at some tank around here and online and i like how grouped things are and how they look like a garden outside....so thats what im going with
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
That's one heck of a list, Frenchy! Good luck!

I started with tons of plants, and collected anything that looked cool. It was fun for awhile, but now I focus more on getting plants that look good with my scape. at one point I had around 40 species in my 75 gallon. Now I'm down to a little over 20.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

its a start to see what i like....im sure i will get rid of many once i figure out how they grow....
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Canon pimp #002

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchymasters View Post
its a start to see what i like....im sure i will get rid of many once i figure out how they grow....
That's a great way to do it, so you are on the right track!

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I might go pick up my blasting sand this week if i can get all my christmas shopping done in a reasonable doller amount as i have alot to still get and im only spending the play money....

if i have time to im going to get my co2 tank filled up and get my goldfish out of this tank and into their new home.....

list of things to do but no time to do them! i keep looking at my 125 and wondering if i could do what darkoon did with low light and co2 and ferts.....but thats alot of root tabs....any idea?!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Canon pimp #002

Quote:
I keep looking at my 125 and wondering if i could do what darkoon did with low light and co2 and ferts.....but thats alot of root tabs....any idea?!
Frenchy, have you considered using a layer of MTS (Mineralized Top Soil) capped with the blasting sand? That would give you plenty of substrate nutrients. You can make it for dirt cheap ( No pun intended) Or you can get it from various users on this forum for a decent price if you aren't into the mess of making it yourself.

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
You have a 125 and you are messing with the 40?! Put some dirt in the 125 man!

Lol. I kid. But for real. If you want a lot of bang for your buck. Go with the MTS or MGOPM. You will not regret it.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary908 View Post
Frenchy, have you considered using a layer of MTS (Mineralized Top Soil) capped with the blasting sand? That would give you plenty of substrate nutrients. You can make it for dirt cheap ( No pun intended) Or you can get it from various users on this forum for a decent price if you aren't into the mess of making it yourself.

i really like stem plants and i thought that was for crypts and such....will it grow most of the plants i have on my list?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
You have a 125 and you are messing with the 40?! Put some dirt in the 125 man!

Lol. I kid. But for real. If you want a lot of bang for your buck. Go with the MTS or MGOPM. You will not regret it.

cable im a girl! not a man! lol

i like them both. in my 125 i have my collection of larger bows so alot of my smaller fish would just wither away from starvation competeing with them. blus i have some predetors in that tank.

again can i grow my list of stems in this mts?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
cable im a girl! not a man! lol

i like them both. in my 125 i have my collection of larger bows so alot of my smaller fish would just wither away from starvation competeing with them. blus i have some predetors in that tank.

again can i grow my list of stems in this mts?
Whoops. My bad. I meant to say, Stick some dirt in that tank girl.

How big are the larger fish?

You should be able to grow anything in MTS. Stem plants like nutrients in the water column as well though. They benefit from that more than in the substrate. But crypts and rosette plants like that will love the MTS.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode