Candy Store: 20G Blackwater Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Candy Store: 20G Blackwater Riparium

20G Blackwater Riparium

I have some nice riparium crypts here that have just been kicking around and sitting in growout tanks and I think that I would like to put together a little display riparium setup for them. I am intrigued by the idea of blackwater fish and that is what I have in mind right now.

Can anybody suggest any especially cool fish? This will be a high-humidity riparium, so there will only be eight or so gallons water in the tank. Here is one quick idea that I have for a more unusual fish...

SeriouslyFish.com: Barbus jae

I had a 55 set up for crypts, Anubias and ferns a while back. You can get an idea of what this new riparium will be like if you just imagine 1/2 of this older one...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I would definitely recommend some aphyosemion killies. There are several attractive species of aphyosemion, but A. australe is generally the easiest to find. They're very hardy fish, but will probably thrive in black water conditions.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
That was an interesting read on the barbus jae, I learned there is a difference between schooling and shoaling behavior - something I didn't know before. I've been using both terms to describe fish that swim in a group. Now I know why my Buenos Aires tetras pick on each oether - they are shoalers, and establish a defined pecking order. Now I also know how to scape the tank better for shoalers - thanks!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
I would definitely recommend some aphyosemion killies. There are several attractive species of aphyosemion, but A. australe is generally the easiest to find. They're very hardy fish, but will probably thrive in black water conditions.
Hey that's a great idea. I just read a bit about them and it sounds like they are more or less a blackwater fish. That A. australe is such a bright orange fish I think that I would prefer to combine them with something maybe blue for contrast, so I would be less inclined to use the Barbaus jae.

I pondered using some kind of killi in my 11.4, which I am revamping, but that is an open-top tank and I figured killies would jump out.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
You could keep a few Sparkling Gouramis along with your school of Barbs. I just got a pair of them for my 30g and they've totally stolen my heart. They make this awesome clicking sound when they display for eachother: you tube

Also, I was doing some reading up on Crypts last night and apparently Sparkling Gouramis are found in a lot of the same blackwater streams as our favorite crypt species.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Jewel Gouramis would be different

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What are jewel gouramis? I have looked around some but can't find any pictures or anything.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
You could keep a few Sparkling Gouramis along with your school of Barbs. I just got a pair of them for my 30g and they've totally stolen my heart. They make this awesome clicking sound when they display for eachother: you tube

Also, I was doing some reading up on Crypts last night and apparently Sparkling Gouramis are found in a lot of the same blackwater streams as our favorite crypt species.
Yes I have considered sparkling gouramis. I was shooting for something a bit more unusual. A similar fish that I might consider would be a Parasphromenus licorice gourami. Actually, I one of those or a pair would look really good with the Barbus jae.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I wanted to post quick the list of species that I am shopping from. I am going to place an order this Monday for express shipping. Here's the list...

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/i...d=51&Itemid=66

I am not trying to make a strict biotope at all but I would like to use a combination of fish from either West Africa or Southeast Asia.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I just placed my fish order. Here's what I included...
  • SIX - Ladigesia roloffi
  • ONE - Parosphronemus deissneri
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Pretty cool set up.

**** Green ****

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That picture above is from an old setup.

I should have a shot or two of this new one sometime this evening. I'm setting it up right now.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I've never heard of either of those fish - both are really sweet! I can't wait to see your pics of them in the tank!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The jelly bean tetras (Ladigesia roloffi) and the licorice gourami (Parosphronemus deissneri) should get here Tuesday with UPS. I hope they'll make the trip OK.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The box with the fish just got here. The fish are in great shape but itsy-bitsy; I'll have the grow them up.

The jelly bean tetras are really cool little fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode