Impulse Buy -- New Acrylic Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Impulse Buy -- New Acrylic Tank

Was trying to kill some time this morning and was checking out Craigslist for fish stuff when I saw an ad that had just been posted for an acrylic tank, so I emailed asking for dimensions and a price.

The dimensions are 60" x 18" x 16" -- it's essentially a 40 breeder that has been stretched out another 2 ft -- I love the dimensions and the guy needed to unload it fast so I left immediately to pick it up. I live out in the middle of nowhere, so I NEVER see good aquarium stuff for sale, local Craigslist only ever has 55 gallon tanks with $300 asking prices.

The tank is actually in really good shape, there are some minor scuffs on the outside and some small scratches on the inside, but nothing that can't be buffed out. I have NO IDEA what I am going to do with this tank, I just bought it because it was a great deal and I never see tanks for sale around here. I'm not a big fan of the stand, so I'll be building a new one as soon as I figure out what I want to put in the tank.

Once the tank is cleaned up, I'll be drilling it to use with an extra wet/dry I have here. I just need to figure out a scape and lighting.

Here it is sitting in my garage...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
That looks gigantic! Did it come with that stand as well?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, it came with the acrylic column stand and an acrylic canopy, I'll probably be selling those or giving them away, but it would be nice to sell them and bring the cost of the tank down even lower.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
aw that tank looks awesome!

I would probably go with 2 dual bulb t8 fixtures or something for lighting. should put you at around a low-medium light level or so..

I would personally turn that into a giant shrimp tank! lol but thats just me :P

Looking forward to what you do with this ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Interested to see how it looks after you buff out the scratches and it's super shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
I would personally turn that into a giant shrimp tank! lol but thats just me :P
Oh ho ho ho ho. That would be awesome. I wish different species that don't interbreed can stand the same parameters, or at least similar parameters, so you can fill a giant tank with 10+ different species. Sadly... I think the most you can do is like 4ish :[
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It looks nice but scratchy, I use a product on my Harley windshields that is made for these new car headlights that are huge and get scratched and yellow after a couple years of service. If I remember I'll look next time I'm in the garage but it works great, and you might be a little sore after your finished but it will make that tank look like new.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After doing some measuring today, I am thinking that I might move my rhom to this tank and get something else for my 75 since my rhom would definitely use the extra foot of length.

Did a test fill today and she definitely holds water...

Now I need to order stuff to buff out the scratches and start planning out a stand.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
It looks nice but scratchy, I use a product on my Harley windshields that is made for these new car headlights that are huge and get scratched and yellow after a couple years of service. If I remember I'll look next time I'm in the garage but it works great, and you might be a little sore after your finished but it will make that tank look like new.
It actually looks worse in the pics than it really is because of the flash, the scratches on the tank aren't very deep and should come out pretty easily. I'll most likely refinish the entire tank to get it looking new tho, start with sandpaper and work my way up to Novus polish.

I'm hoping to borrow a buffer from someone to help save a little wear and tear on my hands and arms, but if I can't track one down, I'll just spread the work out over a few days.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
If you clean up that stand, it's worth as much as the tank. You might be able to sell it recoup you buy $$$ and pay for the buffing. Might not be too heavy to even ship.

List it in the nearest big city's CL....nothing to lose right?

Good Luck.

My vote would be Iwagamui & 5doz neons.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually was planning on giving the stand away just to get rid of it, but I was looking around last night and apparently they sell for over $400 new. Haven't been able to find the acrylic top to see how much that's worth, but I won't be needing that either.

I paid $100 for everything and thought the tank alone was worth more than that, so if I can sell the rest of the stuff to bring the price of the tank down even more, that would be awesome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode