New 40 Breeder Setup -- Updated 1/24 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
New 40 Breeder Setup -- Updated 1/24

I purchased a 40 breeder about a year ago and built a stand for it, but I scratched the glass when I was removing the sand that was in there initially and it was driving me nuts, so I bought a new tank last month during Petco's famous $1/gallon sale.

I was also able to score a really good deal on some Eco Complete using a coupon code I had gotten in an email paired up with an online sale -- had 5 bags delivered to my door with 2 day shipping for about $60.

Tank Specs

40 breeder AGA
Eheim 2217
Hydor Koralia Evolution 750
Hydor 200w Inline Heater
Coralife Aqualight 2x96w PC Fixture
Eco Complete substrate

Here's the abbreviated stand build...

Initial set-up w/ old tank...

And here it is now after I set up the new tank, still very much a work in progress -- right now it's just a bunch of needle leaf and anubias nana with a dwarf sag foreground, there's also a Crinum calamistratum and a few small Hygrophila pinnatifida in there...

I am waiting on some more anubias nana to fill in the left side and I need to figure out what to do with the hygro and crinum, if they do stay in there, they definitely won't be where they are now, but I'm leaning towards putting the hygro in another tank.

Once last pic, this is the Serrasalmus compressus that calls the tank home...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JoeDizzleMPLS; 01-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
Tank looks awesome

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Doing a nice job with your scape.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Wowsa!

Amazing job! I your stand and your scape are fantastic!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, it's got a ways to go, but I'm pretty happy with it so far

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is still a bit of a mess, but I added some more anubias nana...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
i love that you chose one fish thats big! Your tank is really cool too. i feel like im in a jungle setting
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Wow this looks very similar to my tank except better! This is the type of thing I should have done....I might have to copy you lol....

~
~
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Been a bit since I updated this tread -- not much has changed with the tank, just removed the Crinum and the Hygro. I want to spread the hardscape a bit more to the right, will probably do it next water change.

I am picking up a new 125 this weekend, so I started some prep work around the house this last weekend. My first job was to move the 40 breeder from the living room up to the bedroom -- thought it would look crowded up there but it actually looks pretty good I think.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
hey thats a great looking 40b setup dude! I love how everything just flows together and the simplicity of it! keep up the great work!

-=:Sketch804:=-

Fluval pimp #31

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's kind of tough to scape tanks with larger fish like this because I need to leave plenty of open space for the fish to swim around. The other option is to go with an oversized tank so you have room for tons of plants and hardscape while still allowing plenty of room for the fish to swim around -- it will be easier to put something together when I get done with this fish's permanent home, which is a 5' acrylic tank.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very nice set up. You should add red color fish or shrimp for contrast.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by depech View Post
Very nice set up. You should add red color fish or shrimp for contrast.
I tried that and they disappeared overnight -- this fish doesn't like tankmates

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I do the same thing, my tank should have 54 CRS and 10 Amano's but I haven't seen any in a while, when the lights go out all h3ll breaks loose. You have a nack for using negative space in your scapes and it looks good, also your stand was simple but it turned out nice, I have started painting the inside white and it really helps you see things a lot easier.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
SWEET! If only there were such things as "dwarf" piranhas, I'd be all over those for my tank.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode