Scott's 50 *Update 3-28-05 (56k Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Scott's 50 *Update 3-28-05 (56k Warning)

Hey everyone, thanks for looking.

Well, I've been browsing this forum for weeks now, enjoying so many of your tanks. It's been a real pleasure seeing how each tank has evolved over time. Because they all seem to get better, I decided it's time for me to post so mine will get better too

(I'm not a great photographer, so bare with me)

Thought process: Because I intend on keeping altums one day, I decided to create a biotope-type 'scape. I wanted an aquascape that provided room for my fish to swim, looked natural, and is maintainable by a newb such as myself. I know my tank isn't the best representation of a biotope, I'm working on that, and Im at a loss for ideas right now. I decided to use mostly swords (I'm even considering an all Echinodorus 'scape) because they are semi-easy to grow, don't require a lot of maintenance, and, because of their large leaves, still allow my fish to swim among them. I tried stem plants, they grew too quick and took up too much space for my liking. I didn't want too complex of a foreground/middleground, so I decided to plant the majority of the tank with hairgrass, still providing a decent amount of "swim space."

Plants: Echinodorus 'ozelot green', Echinodorus bleheri, Vallisneria spiralis, Echinodorus uruguayensis, Echinodorus martii, Eleocharis parvula, Echinodorus 'red rubin,' Echinodorus angustifolius, and Echinodorus 'harbich'

Fish: 3x Angels (2 paired off), 6x Black neons, 5x Black phantoms, 1x Pearl gourami, 2x SAEs, 3x Otocinclus

Equipment: 50 Gallon Tall (36l x 20h x 15w), EcoComplete Substrate, Rena XP3, DIY Reactor, JBJ 2x96 watt PC (4 WPG), JBJ Solenoid w/ 5lb Tank

Ferts: Just started EI per WfxXx dosages. I'm anxious to see if it's an improvement over last routine.

Currently I'm waiting for the hairgrass and swords on the left to grow in. Contemplating the purchase of a 90 gallon tank so i can provide more room for the fish.

If anyone has some comments/suggestions on how to make the tank more "biotope-like" or anything to improve, feel free to post. I won't be offended; I value constructive criticism.

Last edited by sawallace; 03-29-2005 at 03:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice! i would trim away the old sword leaves every few weeks, it will give the plant more strength and it will grow bigger and fuller.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:06 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looks like some good healthy growth going there. I'm clueless on the biotope thing, so no comments there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks good, how is that hairgrass growing for you?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great lookin start, Scott.

I have a couple suggestions (per my own personal tastes )... I think the vals could use a small, mid-ground plant in front of em - off center, to the left a bit possibly... It also looks like you gave those vals a crew-cut. Maybe trim them at different lenghths next time for a more natural look.

You've done well, planning for your fish. Angels really need that open space, and I think vertical plants enhance their shape.

Kudos for joining in the photo extravaganza . I look forward to updates.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
how is that hairgrass growing for you?
My newly planted hairgrass has yet to "take off." When I planted hairgrass previously, I trimmed the hairgrass to about 1" before planting it. I read this would accelerate new growth. Unfortunately, it made it easy for my angels to uproot it, so I elected to plant it "as-is" this time. It seems to take a bit longer, but I don't have to replant it everyday.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Looking good Scott.. Good to see you joining in

Craig

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:52 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Angels and swords go together like Saturday and Sunday
Good lookin tank, when the hairgrass fills in it will be a charmer. My Angels are doing the same with the hairgrass but they eventually get bored with it. LOL

Thanks for sharing the photos, keep it green and healthy !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Not again!!!

That dreaded haze is back! UhOh, I know what that means..... GW Hopefully it was caused by me moving a sword around and not my new dosing regimen. I stirred up quite a bit of mulm the other day. UV is in place so hopefully it won't get too out of hand.

Just in time to capture it with my new camera.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
If you have a UV no need to fear GW.. if it continues to haze on you, ease up on the fert's a bit...

Craig

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE 3-28-05 (what was I thinking?)

After reading PJAN's excellent post as well as several posts on types of aquascapes, I decided to try and experiment with different layouts and see what I like best. I'll be getting a bigger tank soon so I thought it would be a good idea to mix it up a little and see what I like best. Most 'scapes I like generally follow the "concave" format, thus I tried my hand and I didn't fare so well as you can see. I trashed nearly all the Val. It was really just a breeding ground for snails as well as a collector of mulm/debris. Plus it cleared up a lot of room for my fish.

The only things I did beside move the Vals out were: I divided the Echinodorus angustifolius into 3 and placed them in a way create some kind of middle ground. I temporarily moved the Echinodorus uruguayensis to better light, it wasn't doing too well.

I'm hoping the hairgrass will do better now that they're getting more light. I'm also trying to prune a few leaves on the swords every week to create fullness.

As always, any comments/suggestions/criticism is welcomed I can't get better unless I know what I'm doing wrong.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I dont see anything wrong with it.. It looks nice!

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode