African theme nano paludarium, construction/final photos - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
African theme nano paludarium, construction/final photos

Seeing photos of people's vivariums/paludariums etc. and seeing the shots in the AGA contest, who wouldn't want to try it right? So I had the idea that if I usd a HOB filter, and constructed an island in front of the outflow in a terrarium design, the outflow would continuously moisten the plants allowing me to grow anubias, mosses, and ferns above the water line.

Going for a theme, I decided to use only african plants.

I figured out the original hard scape at home:

Bog wood, pea gravel, and river rocks collected from a local stream.

Then, the planting:

HOB filter is from Blue Whale, a Japanese brand.

My plan is to eventually move a pair of N. Eggersi to live in this tank, keeping consistent with the african theme. Here are some shots of the pair housed in a planted tank at home for now:

Hope you guys enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is one nice little tank setup.

It works well and the fish are nice as well. I see anubias, but what are those other plants that are growing above water level?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what the fern sticking out of the left side is, nor what species the moss are-- I just yoinked them out of my yard's rock wall on a rainy day. However, the other plants above water level are anubias nana, water sprite (african floating fern), and bacopa moeneri. All african.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Ever tried a palm filter? They are tiny, but work great. The set up is great but that filter seems huge, and what is with the yellow button thing. Kinda sticks out. But I love the set up!

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Ok, it might be odd seeing a filter meant for a 20g tank on a 3g tank, but I wanted the width of the waterfall. The outflow of the filter hits the entire length of that hunk of wood sticking out of the ater, and drips water onto the emersed anubias on the far left as well as right in front of the out flow. As for the yellow button-- oh well, nothings perfect. What's wrong with a yellow button for adjusting flow?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Nothing, and the flow is nice. I am partial to the whole waterfall thing too. But the button is so yellow....lmao!

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Heh, it is pretty hilarious.

Hmm . . . Interestingly, the water sprite isn't doing so hot out of water. I thought it was like a fern or something, and it's grown out on its own for me in the past, but planted emersed a lot of the growth is withering up! Maybe it's dying before switching to a different leaf form (I hope)?

In any case, the bacopa is really something! I planted it only a few days ago, bu the plants I put under water are already an inch above it, and the plants I planted emersed are shooting for the light! I might have to trim and replace the sprites with more bacopa . . .
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Algae Grower

Where did you get that lovely tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

To be honest, I don't know anything about the brand or whatever-- my LPs has always carried these clear tanks--Very nice to be sure. There are bow fronts too. I'll ask about it next time I'm there. The tank itself set me back $20.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:49 AM

Aren't you worried about your fish jumping? Killies are NOTORIOUS jumpers, I've known them to perform some real feats with their jumping abilities.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor
Awesome tank, but loose the yellow flow valve on the filter-j/k. I think the fern you have in there is a rabbits foot fern ( http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2...tore_Code=BJTS )

-David

The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, is the day Opeth dies. -Mikael Akerfeldt
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

marty-- well NOW I'm worried! Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to do something to prevent that!

audio-- thanks man! That looks just like my fern!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's a great nano tank! I really like the African theme there. But are you sure there's enough space for the Killies in there?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

it might not look like it, but there are some sizable gaps in the rockwork, and a good amount of swimming space behind it. Like a network of spacious caves sort of. Not sure if the killies will make use of it, but at least that means there is enough total water to keep things stable.

Maybe I should take OFF the yellow button for photo shoots.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode