First planted Dual Nano Cube setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
First planted Dual Nano Cube setup

Well I've been coming here since the summer time and fell in love with the Nano cube setups I saw here. I was going to get an ADA or Up!Aqua cube tank down the road, but I was in a LFS (Sharkey's in Point Pleasant, NJ when I was living in Jersey at the time) back in September, he had 3 cube tanks set for sale for $75...it included a 12x12x12, a 10x10x10 and a 8x8x8 cube tank.

I had grand plans of building a stand for the 12x12 cube as a test of concept for when I setup a 75 Gallon Planted Community tank down the road. Between buying a new house and all the stuff that is needed for it, spending another $400 on a Compound Miter Saw, plus materials is out of the question for the time being (not to mention me being impatient LOL)

I changed up my thinking on the stand and decided since I couldn't make a stand, I might as well look for a stand that would fit my needs...then thought might as well setup the 10x10 cube with it. The big issue I had was I needed something that could support the weight and big enough for tanks, but also not having enough room around the tanks so my cats decide to rescape the tanks for me!

I did some searching and found this stand at Petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11330032

Perfect...big enough for the tanks and small enough to keep the cats off! Plus I like the idea of having additional storage space for things under it and it matched my Computer desk in the room also.

I think I'm going to do an Iwagumi style tank with the 12x12 cube with CO2 and the smaller 10x10 cube is going to be just a planted tank (with a Moss Wall) with shrimp.

Equipment:

Lighting: 2x Finnex 26W CFL Cliplight

Filtration: 2x Finnex PX-360 also have two 3W mini UV Sterilizers to use in the tanks if necessary.

CO2 Equipment: Fluval Mini CO2 set...will be replaced by a PaintBall CO2 setup after I use up the Co2 in the Fluval set.

Heater: Fluval E50 for 12x12 cube and 50W Finnex HMA-50 for the 10x10

Substrate: GLA Natural Black Lava, ADA new Amazaonia Mixed type and powdered type

Flora: 12x12 Hemianthus Callitrichoides 'Cuba' to start with, 10x10 TDB

Fauna: Crystal Red Shrimp in 12x12 Cube, other shrimp split between the two tanks depending on compatibly

Photos:

Tanks on Stand:

Substrate:

Equipment:

I still need to get rocks for the tanks, I'm planning on doing that Thanksgiving weekend, since my GF parents are visiting this weekend and my parents are coming next weekend.

Also looking for suggestions for plants for the 10x10 Gallon...I don't want to use Co2 on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Cool stuff there Marylander, it looks like a good plan and you already have some nice equipment so I can't wait to see it come together.

Were is Charlestown MD, next to Charlestown WV?

BTW where did you buy all the Finnex stuff I would like to take a look?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post

Were is Charlestown MD, next to Charlestown WV?
Nope I'm in Cecil Co...inbetween Perryville and North East

Quote:
BTW where did you buy all the Finnex stuff I would like to take a look?
Amazon.com...is my friend. Free shipping and good prices

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well Finally getting this up and running....quick question...is my substrate too thick on my 12x12in Tank? I have a layer of GLA Natural Black Lava then ADA new Amazaonia Mixed type and I'm going to finish off with some powdered type.

First shot is of the 12x12 Cube

Next is the 10x10 Cube

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode