Beginner's Fluval Edge 12 gallon. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beginner's Fluval Edge 12 gallon.

Got the itch for another Edge so I got the 12 gallon, going to try a low light aquatic set up. Dwarf puffer fish is the main fish I want, along with a Otos.

Fish: 1 - 2 x Dwarf puffer. A Otos.
Substrate: SeaChem Flourite Red.
Plants: Low light plants, probably some Anubias Nana and some Crypt.

Waiting for the tank to cycle a bit before I grab the Dwarf puffers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I had that exact same blue gravel for my first tank, but decided to go with natural gravel eventually. Is that your tank set up in the other 2 pictures?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal907 View Post
I had that exact same blue gravel for my first tank, but decided to go with natural gravel eventually. Is that your tank set up in the other 2 pictures?
nope, that the older Fluval Edge I have. I did exactly the same thing you did, brought the blue gravel because it looked good but now I'm going to Flourite Red.

They are two different tanks, one is the smaller 6 gallon and the new one I haven't set up yet. Still waiting for the Flourite to lose all that cloudy dust.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Member

Ahh, well good deal will be looking forward to how you set it up. What kind of plants were you thinking for the little puffer to hide behind?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not too sure but I think I might go with some Amazon Swords and a few Anubias Nana.

The pretty girl at the fish store said they're getting some puffers next week, so hopefully my tank will be cycled by then. She told me I could have 5 dwarf puffers in there but I'm thinking of 2 - 3 and an Otos for the algae.

Check out how clear the water got in 2 hours, the whole tank was a light chocolate brown.

Oh, and does anyone know how to get rid of the air bubbles in the AquaClear HOB 20s. It's not a steady steam, my other AquaClear 20 is at max power.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

The amazon swords will quickly outgrow your tank, but the anubias sounds good. And from the looks of the last picture, you're getting bubbles because your water level isn't high enough.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Is there a good low light hardy background plant? I want to cover the intakes of the AquaClear and try to hide the back of the tank from showing.

Oh and about the bubbles, I was talking about the AquaClear intake pipes. It's not a complete stream of water going in, but a very weird shape intake. I'll snap a picture, it's this. See that intake into the filter , there a air pocket in there. My other AquaClear 20 is completely filled at that intake.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Planted Member

How about Wisteria? Watersprite, hornwort, etc. Lots to choose from Those just grow really fast.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lookin' good... are you planning to get some small snails for the puffers to munch on? It's always awesome seeing them give a big crunch!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
In my experience the air bubbles in the Aquaclear intake will just work themselves out over time.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have the same problem with the filter on my edge, everyone says it'll work itself out in a few days but mine still has air in it after 3 weeks. The dang thing is still a little noisy too.

Good luck with your 12 gallon, I can't wait to see it all setup with plants in it.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

THANKS Heathbar, your 12 gallon long looks amazing! Where did you get those rocks? I'm trying to do something similar in my tank but it's slim picking over here.

I took some media from the old 6 gallon to the new one, just some floss and water to cycle it faster; anything else I can do to speed up the cycle without fish?

Notice to owners, my 12 gallon tank has very poor silicone seal, it's almost as if Hagen rush these tanks out.

I was thinking of ripping the excess off but that might rip the whole thing off. This is before adding the water, there a lot of excess silicone on the inside and a bit on the outside. Not really what you expect for newer product, the old Edge was flawless.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
I got the rocks at a LFS, it's petrified wood.

For the cycling, did you add the bottled bacteria Fluval includes in the box? My 6g came with it, not sure if the new ones do still. That, your old filter material plus plants and I think the tank will cycle super fast, if not instantly.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

There was actually two bottles of the stuff and it did speed up the cycle, I'm getting some good numbers from my API kit.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the rocks, those are wood? If so, did they release Tannin in the water?

Can't seem to find anything that resemble the ADA driftwood they have on the net. Would you happen to know a plant that releases a lot of oxygen? The new Edge has the same filter and same size opening in a bigger tank. Not sure how I can add more oxygen to this beast.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the rocks, those are wood? If so, did they release Tannin in the water?
Petrified wood is fossilized wood that is millions of years old. Most of it comes out of the American Southwest, but I believe it can be found other places as well. Its the same stuff I have in my Edge

If you want to encourage your cycle you could add a bit of fish food... it will give your growing colony of bacteria something to feed on. Adding plants will also help... there is no need to wait for your tank to cycle before you start planting.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode