I've been getting dirty... setting up my new 10g planted! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Talking I've been getting dirty... setting up my new 10g planted!

It's my second tank, but first journal!

Bought a 10 and 5 gallon tank through craigslist for 10 bucks and decided to start up what will eventually be a shrimp tank!
Ordered some Manzanita through PC1 here on TPT (could not be happier btw) and just got it today! Threw it in there in a way I liked and now trying to figure out how I want to set up my rocks.

Before I get to the pics, here's what I have planned for the tank:
Goal temp: 70-74F
Lighting: low-medium
DIY CO2, API leaf zone dosing
Flora: Java moss, Wisteria, and dwarf sag
Fauna: 1 BN, shrimp eventually (Cherries)

This is what I've come up with so far, but some input would be lovely.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well since I got no feed back I went for it because I was tired of waiting. I figure I can always change things around later if I hate it.
Here it is so far with some wisteria and hornwort floating around and a dwarf lily planted. Manzanita all mossed up and staying sunk!

Also, I got these "tester" shrimp at Wally world for 26 cents/ea. They were labeled as Algae eater and that's it. It looked to me that 2 of the ones I got were berried, but I can only find one atm. Trying to identify what they are, but I'm pretty new to this and am having a hard time. My best guess are wild Neocaridina Heteropoda. Anyway, here's my first mama! Sorry about the crappy pic. She wouldn't stop moving around...

Ah ha! They must be glass shrimp! Which I am totally ok with because that means I can still have cherries some day!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Glad to see you over here as well.

The tank looks good.

The wisteria will do much better planted in the substrate. And those are definitely ghost shrimp. The eggs won't survive, as they need saltwater at some point. (I could be totally wrong on this. It has been known to happen. Lol.) And if they are ghost shrimp, they are more carnivores than anything else. They will eat a little bit of algae, but small fish (fry mainly), shrimplets, and snails are not completely off the menu. If they are something else, once those shrimplets get out, watch your parameters really closely. That tank is gonna have to cycle.

What did you use for substrate by the way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Well, I just saw this. Is it going to be shrimp tank? and I was curious if you're going to have carpeting plants on the front at all? As far as scaping, specially rocks, they seem to lined-up perfectly, hence, they don't look natural. And they could be too many of them (big ones). Since this is just beginning stage, I would move things around until you're satisfied. Just my suggestion.

**** Green ****

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is the tank roomy enough where you could turn the driftwood so the stump is at the bottom and the branches reach upwards? Just my humble opinion, really depends on what you like though! Tank looks good so far, what other plants do you think you'll get??
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think those are ghost shrimp.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
It looks nice but the shrimp will crawl up and out of the tank on the driftwood so I would suggest rearranging the wood to be completely in the tank. Also, I've had ghost shrimp have babies in my tanks and had them grow up just fine without ever having to use salt or special food.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Great start, I like the looks of your rocks and the driftwood. I agree with green_valley though, if you spread the rocks out a little more randomly I think it will look more natural.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow! I kind of thought I'd be talking to myself on here lol Well I will try to address all questions/comments, but if I forget, just holler at me or something

Quote:
The wisteria will do much better planted in the substrate. And those are definitely ghost shrimp
Just stuck the wisteria in the ground this morning. They were floating about temporarily so as to encourage root growth with as much light as possible. I've read its a common misconception that the ghost shrimp need brackish waters to reproduce. The shrimplets apparently hatch in the larval stage, but are freshies all the way. Also, I am doing my best to keep the parameters under control! The shrimp weren't supposed to be there till monday, but I just got so antsy I couldn't help it :\

Quote:
What did you use for substrate by the way?
About 1 - 1.5" of dirt and some aquarium gravel capping it. I know its not the best for shrimp, but its cheapish and I actually really like the look of it.

Quote:
Is it going to be shrimp tank? and I was curious if you're going to have carpeting plants on the front at all?
This will be mainly a shrimp tank. Once everything is planted I will have some corys and my BN in there as well. The dwarf sag should be on its way! Just ordered some off here and hoping it will be in by monday. I figure the sag will grow up covering most of the rock and leaving them to be "algae cultivators" for my cherries and corys.

Quote:
Is the tank roomy enough where you could turn the driftwood so the stump is at the bottom and the branches reach upwards?
Unfortunately no, the branches stick out quite a ways and i can't bring myself to cut them because this tank is just a hold over until I move back to AK. Ran out of planting room in my 3.5 gallon :P I was hoping to go for more of a mangrove root look, but clearly, thats not how it turned out haha. I have wisteria and red lilies coming in today, maybe some more hornwort depending on how I feel about it, and dwarf sag in the post!

Quote:
rearranging the wood to be completely in the tank
Ruh Roh. If I see ghosts of ghosts in my room then I will have to get some plexi glass for the top because I dont want to cut the driftwood. If it is still a problem, I might have other plans for the tank in mind

And as always, thanks for the interest!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal907 View Post
Wow! I kind of thought I'd be talking to myself on here lol

Lol, you just have to give us a little time to reply.. crazy work schedules etc...
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So lost 2 shrimp, maybe 3, but the others are still in there and are doing fine. Got some tiny little corys too! 2 albino and 3 peppered. I'm afraid I'm going to have to trade in Miss Spartacus (BN) at my LFS :'( Unless anyone call verify that it will be ok to add her in a heavily planted tank with the others, I just want her to be happy. She's only 2.5", but I know they have a heavy bioload and her happiness is most important to me.

I have a problem with falling in love with pretty much any animal I touch, but I'd rather be heartbroken than have her unhappy.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I like your little set up and Ghost shrimp are fine but all shrimp are a little delicate in term of water parameters so you might want to wait 3 months or so to let the tank cycle. I know Amano shrimp need brackish water to breed but not sure on the Ghosts but Cable may be correct and you should ask him about the committing suicide but my Cherrys don't jump out of the tank. The pleco should have bigger tank and they can get a little destructive at maturity, just because they have needs like eating wood, etc. but it could certainly be a temporary home until Petco has there $1 per gallon sale and you could get a 20 long or bigger, not sure on the sale max size limit.

But you should scape it like you want, cause so folks will have the nerve to say "I think you should paint the door on your stand blue" I mean it make you want to reach out and touch someone. Keep up the good work and let us know if you see any shrimp making their way to the fridge late at night.

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I added in some mulm from my other tank and am adding new plants everyday, so I'm hoping the cycling is going quick. I've been checking params every day and it looks like the ammonia is staying pretty low. Its hard to tell on the little color sheet what color the liquid is, but its pretty yellow.

As for the BN, I'll either be able to keep her in the 10 or no because I cant buy anymore tanks (moving soonish). She hasnt become destructive in her temp home (3 gallon), but she still has some growing to do. So I just dont know . Probably will just sell her to LFS now rather than later.

And thanks for the kind words 150EH. I don't particularly like how it looks, but most of the rocks will be hidden behind the dwarf sag once I plant it, so I'm hoping I'll grow to like it.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I was totally wrong and Ghost shrimp do need lightly brackish water to breed, 1 tsp of Aquarium salt to 10 gallons of water, I just wanted to correct my mistake.

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I was totally wrong and Ghost shrimp do need lightly brackish water to breed, 1 tsp of Aquarium salt to 10 gallons of water, I just wanted to correct my mistake.
Not sure. I have not had a chance to research it at all. I always thought it odd that they needed access to the ocean. If that was the case they would not be sold as feeder shrimp.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode