Zach's 3.5 iwagumi and 17g nature aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
Zach's 3.5 iwagumi and 17g nature aquarium

Hey guys both of these tanks will be my first planted tanks and the first time I will be making a journal so hopefully it comes out nice. My first tank is a 3.5g ada mini-s. The stand is a 14g biocube stand which ended up fitting pretty good. Ive got a eheim 2211 for filtration with ada v-1 and p-1 glass pipes. Substrate is a mix of fluorite and ada amazonia 2. Im running pressurized co2 at about 1 bps 24/7. Ive currently got hc and ug planted. Tank as is has been up about 3 days.

Now for the 17g. So far I have 1 sheet of birch that I will start to cut tomorrow and make my ada stand, once thats up Ill add the farmica. The tank will be a GLA 60-L since Ada won't be getting anything until around christmas time. Pretty much same dimensions as the 60-p but not low iron The stand should be done by wednesday to thursday and the tank should be here by friday. Also have a GLA regulator and 10 lb. bottle on the way for my co2. Filter Ive decided to run is my old eheim ecco pro 80g. I figure the more the better and at the start I can always lower the flow. Ill add pictures of the 3.5 progress weekly-biweekly and also continuous pics and updates as I make the stand and begin setting up the 60 L.

Last edited by zchauvin; 11-07-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think this looks very cool. kind of want to see another rock to the right of the main one built into the slope to add some more strength to the main rock and the substrate grade around it. nice start!!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Awesome start (but take bigger pictures!) Show off the lights and stuff too please.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I can't seem to get anything bigger to upload. My camera is broken and as for my phone, unless I'm using tapatalk it keeps taking pictures 3x larger than this sites allowed pixel size. I worked about an hour last night trying to get them to the right size but failed sadly... Fatguy, the only reason I don't have more rocks is due to size. It may look bigger but I only have about 1 inch from the back of that rock to the glass. I tried quite a few different layouts, but with multiple rocks they would've had to be small rocks that quickly would have been lost in the HC carpet.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Perhaps I'll hold off on finishing the 17g and buy myself a rebel t2i/t3i on black Friday.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quick update for today guys, have the stand built so far. I will get farmica tomorrow or Wednesday and apply to stand and door then finish putting together. Will be the same color gun metallic silver and the inside will have a few coats of polyeurethane to water proof it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1320707490084.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	37304

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Perhaps I'll hold off on finishing the 17g and buy myself a rebel t2i/t3i on black Friday.

Nice cameras. Im currently looking for a new DSLR to replace my current Olympus. Your stand looks great so far. Once you cover it you'll have an awesome stand.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks man, it took about an hour to do. Once I get it finished it should be really nice and much much more economic
.. the only camera I did have broke yesterday so I'm relying in a phone now.. those t2i look real nice and the other also for a bit more though, hopefully best buy will have good prices on them black Friday. If so ill be in line
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Today I got the holes drilled and cut out for the grommets and the inside polyurethaned. Tomorrow I hope to be putting on the formica and my tank will arrive thursday... Now to figure out the light situation.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I finally got the farmica ordered but it won't come in for two weeks... I'll use extra to make a stand for my mini s also. Having a down fall on that guy as the hc is dying off

Anyways the tank came in today so here's a pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1320981808706.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	37420

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Alright my hc has finally taken off in my mini s but is covered in diatoms. I've been cleaning all the glass things ect, but what should I do to remove it from hc? Also getting a bit of white stringy algae on the hc, anyone know what this is/

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
ottos love diatoms. or you can just wipe it off or wait, diatoms are with new tanks. they'll go away
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok, but they don't negatively effect the plants correct?

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Alright my hc has finally taken off in my mini s but is covered in diatoms. I've been cleaning all the glass things ect, but what should I do to remove it from hc? Also getting a bit of white stringy algae on the hc, anyone know what this is/

water changes and patience for the diatoms. white stringy algae sounds like a type of hair algae. use a toothbrush to manually remove (is what I have done in the past)

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, I'm still doing 50% eod right now. Came home yesterday to some pearling which was unexpected. Only problem is that when I try to clean the hc it uproots very easily. It's rooted into the aquasoil but if I touch it, it pops right up. All in all the tank is looking pretty good other than the diatoms but if it doesn't effect the plant growth I'm not to worried.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode