29 Gallon, First Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 Gallon, First Planted tank

Well, I had a 29 Gallon Fish tank I got as a birthday present a long time ago. I went off to college, and left it with my mom. I was keeping goldfish. That was a few years ago, so now I decided to start it up again at my new apartment.

The good/bad news is my mom took my light and ruined it. My camera is charging, but when I can I will take a pic of the plug. It seriously looks like she placed it in a wood chipper or something. I was a bit upset, but I decided this is a good excuse to start a journal and buy some new stuff! I will preface this with, I am a poor graduate student, so I'm a budget here. Or if I do cave and buy nicer quality things, I will have to just wait a bit long before I get everything up and running successfully.

I have to scrub the tank clean, and get rid of the gravel. I had white gravel, and I loved it, but I've always wanted some Elocharis acicularis (Dwarf hairgrass) and possible some Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC) in the front and do a Iwagami type tank. I've always like something like this, maybe even a little more simple than this.

I have always enjoyed things like this as well

Well with that being said I have been doing some browsing for a new light fixture and some CO2 things. I have been reading mixed reviews on almost everything I find, so I thought the best way to go was to ask if any one had personal experience with some of the things I am looking at. This will be the first time I jump into new lighting outside of the lighting that comes with the tank. So I will try to list what I have and some of the options I am looking at.

Tank:
29 Gallon Dimensions: 30 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 18 3/4"H

Stand: PetSmart Stand

Lighting:
I am shooting for something at least in the medium light range.
Possible choices:
First choice is getting this combo of CoraLife and Aqueon. I think the Aqueon can be picked up at Petsmart. Here is an ebay like with the lights [Ebay Link Removed] Don't outbid me! LOL!

Second choice is this light: 30" 3x24 T5 HO Light with moon lights: [Ebay Link Removed] The only thing is I have no idea what the brand is, but they look decent. Maybe someone will recognize the brand

Third choice of lighting is [Ebay Link Removed] These are the 30" Odyssea 4x24W T5 HO with 2 LED Moonlights. These things are cheap, and I have seen some people claim the reflectors are bad or the ballasts are, and some people say everything is fine and plants grow well. Everyone always says they hate the leg stands, but I figured I maybe just hang it from the ceiling, but since my tank seems deep I would most likely have to hang it so it was was essential sitting on the tank anyway.

There is a fourth choice, but it would be over $300 bucks, so if the general consensus is that all three of these are absolute garbage, then maybe I'll get this choice, but at this point I want to avoid it. It is [Ebay Link Removed] It's the 30" AquaticLife 4x24 T5 HO light, and I am guessing, this would be suitable for any plants I decided to grow.

So in all honesty, I would like people's opinion on the first three choices. The two plants I think I would want to grow in the foreground as of right now is Elocharis acicularis and Hemianthus callitrichoides. I am thinking the first three would be suitable for E. acicularis but for the H. callitrichoides I think I may have to cave and ge the Aquatic Life.

CO2 Setup:

Tank: I found a good deal on a CO2 tank, I am thinking I will get [Ebay Link Removed] My question is how long would a 5lb tank last me on a 29gallon? I am hoping a long time, and even be enough that I could split it to another tank one day.

Regulator: [Ebay Link Removed] It's an Aquatek CO2 Regulator. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Substrate: There is some local fish shops by my school I plan to check out during the week to see if they have any good substrate or deals before I go shopping around on the internet.

Anyway, I think everyone on here has a lot of experience, and I would like to do this right from the get go and enjoy the tank, so I value anyone's opinion. So please HELP!

One day I'll go get all ADA or GLA. I hear GLA is getting a 120gallon Rimless. I will want that one day.

AHH! All the ebay links were removed! I am guessing it's because of the Swap N' Shop rules. I think everyone should get the idea of what I am looking at though? But if not real quick: 1. Aqueon light 30" T5 from PetSmart 2. Well, I don't know the brand, but its description is 30 inch all BLACK SOLAR T5 HO AQUARIUM LIGHT FIXTURE - 3x24- WITH 12 MOON LIGHTS// SHIELD / FEET 3. Is a 30" Odyssea 4x24W T5 HO With moonlights, and 4. Is an 4x24W T5 HO From AquaticLife. I think people may be familiar with it. However its over $300

As of right now I think my choice will be to get the 30" Odyssea and get the bulbs I want.

I almost forgot the fish!

Livestock:

Tetra's. I saw some Gold Bar tetra's on here that I thought looked really neat. No idea where I will get some, but I'll find a way somehow!
I was also thinking about some Red Cherry Shrimp!

A pathogenic fungus walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The bartender says we dont serve your kind here. The fungus says, "Well youre no host!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm just going to reserve this for tank updates as I go along.

A pathogenic fungus walks into a bar and asks for a drink. The bartender says we dont serve your kind here. The fungus says, "Well youre no host!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the tank as it stands now with no lights. I think I have decided on all the equipment I want.

Hopefully all the stuff I ordered/will order comes soon!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Before you put in any water be sure to get the substrate that you want to use in there. If you're going ADA style then I would recommend going with their substrate. A bottom layer of Power Sand followed by a thicker layer of Amazonia. Going this route makes maintaining water PH just right for the type of tank you're going for and is good for the plants too.

Also you showed pictures of what you're going for and mentioned that one day you want that rimless tank... if you could possibly do it right now, I say go for it because going ADA style does look better (my preference) with a rimless tank. It's expensive for sure, but in the end it's actually one of the cheapest things you get in total. And it's the very first thing people will see.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode