update 55gal 3/7/05 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
update 55gal 3/7/05

I thought I'd post several pics from first attempts at aquascaping to present.
I haven't had too much problem growing the plants I have tried, or with algae that much. It is the aquascaping that I am not satisfied with and can't for the life of me seem to master. Anyway here they are. Some of these have already been posted, but I want them all in one spot.

This is the tank currently I am trying the high point in the center and slope downward on the sides. I think once my glosso grows around the island of plants and the transplanted stargrass grows in it will look better.

Also the cabomba I think will have to go, just waiting till things grow better.

Through all of the changes. I never really had an algae prob. But, I changed in stages once a week. As always kept ferts inline.

This site is so good for info and ideas.

By the way, I am running my new coralife 4x65watt over this 55gallon. 4.7w/gal.
It had 2 4xodno t8's before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Please I need some const. crit. from the experts
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I am no expert, but I can give you my opinion.

I liked the aquarium much more earlier on. The Rotala and the stargrass on the left side of the aquarium really caught my eye! I'd have love to have seen you add some stone into that patch of Rotala and stargrass and work another plant along the back next to the Rotala (the L. glandulosa?). The stargrass and wood on the right looked great as well. Your foreground was perfect! You had some shape and style there, however you started to move away from it.

I think I understand where you want to go, but I just can't seem to visualize it along with you. It now looks like a collection of stem plants. A lot of up and down. It will probably look better when things grow in, but you may wind up with a group of stem plants of a similar size.

Honestly, I'd love to see you move back toward the set up you originally had. That seemed to have a little more style than you have working now. Your gut instincts were right there and your initial placement was wonderful! I really liked it! Some hardscaping and even Amano would raise and eyebrow in approval!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Scaper in (very early) training here! Before reading Mike's posts, I was going to say that the first two shots were my favorite as well. I really liked where that was going. Then again, that is a similar look to what I'm trying to achieve, so I might be biased .

Brian.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for responding. The first one WOW. That was my first try at it. I am kind of impatient with the look of the tank. I can never seem to let them grow in fully. I see the tanks on this site get the I want that eyes.

One thing good about the high light is it does not take long to change and see some results.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
You must be a natural! Hey! Why not!

Your first instincts were right on. Maybe you should slow down a bit and trust those instincts? I mean, I really loved the first set up. It just lacked some stone or wood in my opinion.

Trust your own eye! I think you have a good one. Let things develop!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1st 4 pix + hardscape =

Raf
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looking at those pics I would have sworn that the first pic was the latest setup.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I too think the first aquascape was better. More balanced.
The "central" aquascape is more difficult. At least that's my opinion, because you must beware of using too much plants in the central and it requires a not too busy lay-out.
But... I am very impressed with your skills... looking forward to the future

Gr. PJAN
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for comments fellas, I am still new at this maybe I get it one day.
It is still fun experimenting with different layouts.
I am going to stick with the central layout for now it is only 3 or 4 days old.
Probably will change some of the plants to more of the same type. I have a few ideas. Going to let it grow out for alittle while for now.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thats what I like about this hobby, you can change things any time you want. I have never been able to keep the same scape for more than a month.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

updated 4/6/05

I made a few changes. It seems with a 55gallon it is a little bit easier to have the V type setup because of the depth problem. I have a better grasp of that one anyway. Just kind of a collection right now. I bought some wisteria from pmart and I am waiting for it to change from imersed to submersed growth to move it around alittle more. Anyway.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Tank is looking great- I liked the first layout also. Im sort of in the same situation as you. Trying to figure out what layout works best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Marc, That tank is still changing, I got a pot of dwarf hair at pmart and planted it because I have never tried it. Anyway the flagfish won't leave it alone.

I also just got a 58 gal oceanic 36inch long 18inch wide. Ordered lights already. I am not sure if I am going to take the 55 down or run both. If I do both I would need a new co2 setup and several other things. Still waiting on lights and trying to find a nice driftwood piece for the 58 before I get it going.

I have a newer pic I will post later tonight.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
You can plant the hair grass pretty deep. Also trimming it from the top so about an 1 or 2 inches sticks up helps it spread faster.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode