Adam_T's Elos Mini - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adam_T's Elos Mini

My first Freshwater setup (been in reef keeping for 3 years now).

Any advice or opinions are greatly wanted and appreciated! This is the upcoming pictures of my FW setup were taken 48 hours after setup.

Tank:
-Elos Mini (17x17x16) 20g cube
Maintanance:
-Elos Sump (7 gallons)
-Elos Stand
-Elos Top Off Compartment (3 gallons)
-Avast Marine ATO Controller
-Avast Marine Media Reactor (running Matrix stones)
-Azoo 100w Titanium Heater
Lighting:
-Aqua Illuminations Nano w/ AI Controller (2 Cree XM-L Cool White, 2 Cree XP-E Blue, 2 Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs)
Livestock:
-Substrate: CaribSea Instant Aquarium
-A bunch of plants that I can't remember the names of...but I will find the receipt somewhere.
-A single Cory to help the cycle along (currently dosing Stability for a week)
-2 pieces of driftwood

(light on just to show contents of sump and for me when I need to work in there)

Elos Mini | AI Nano | Freshwater n00b

Last edited by Adam_T; 10-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Welcome to freshwater and the Planted Tank Adam, what you've done so far looks good but I'll try to give you a few pointers.

I don't know what your substrate is in the tank currently but with a substrate that is high in nutients it will be easier to keep even a low tech tank

Without CO2 and high light you should only be doing water changes every other month and a light to med. livestock load can help with nutients, and if you ever feel you need a booost in growth you can try a little Excel using the second day dosing instructions, I always ship the big first day dose.

Plants that are good for low tech will be most of the Cryptocorynes, Anubias, Lotus, and things like that, you can grow other plants but you may not get the desired result, check at Aquarium Plants .com for a list of low light plants to get you started.

You may get some algae during the cycle but it's normal, just try to clean the best you can without going nuts, you don't want to clean away the nitrifying bacteria your trying to build, but I'm sure your used to being patient coming from saltwater tanks, good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to the "Light Side" of the hobby!

Planted tanks are first and foremost about lighting- the right light fixture will make or break your goals with any tank setup.

If you want a low maintenance planted tank, then you need to make sure you've got low lighting (a tiny fraction of the lighting you'd need for a SW tank).

I read through the specs you posted, but don't see info on the light you've got over this tank?

And I agree that a substrate containing nutrients will make your life easier if you want to minimize time spent dosing the water column with ferts. Also there are some plants that will grow much better in substrates containing nutrients, especially carpeting plants.

You'll also find that setting up your filtration system to maximize mechanical filtration (rather than bio or chemical) will make your life much easier. Planted tanks produce TONS of debris, but the plants themselves are extremely good bio and chemical filters so you don't need too much of the latter.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have my light on: 20% white, 5% blue, 2% royal blue....so not bright at all.

My substrate is the CaribSea Instant Aquarium gravel. 30lbs

My media reactor is running Matrix stones inside of it....which is highly recommended over bioballs and other stuff. Would your recommend something different? I was told to stay away from Carbon with my type of setup.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The carbon thing is mostly myth, but then again I wouldn't go out of the way to keep any carbon in my filters, unless your getting ready for the big photo shoot and need the water polished.

When I get new filters I leave the carbon pad in, it does polish the waternicely for a week or ten days, then it's just another pad collecting bacteria or bio-media but when it's time to clean the filter it gets tossed, they are good to have on hand if you needed to get medication, etc. out of the water, or if you like you could use carbon 24/7 with no ill effect to my knowledge and I think most of the folks using HOB filters use carbon that is built in to their filter pads.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

:-) Thanks for the info. I'll keep running just Matrix like I am doing now, but if I want/need to add carbon in the future for any reason...I'll be sure to add some to my media reactor!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode