Here we start.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
Here we start....

... with 35x16x24 tank we got on craigslist, a huge step up from our tiny 5g

It's a bit empty for now, but more plants are coming soon. The right side will be completely rearranged. Can't wait ! I also need to add a background, and learn how to take better pictures

Here is the first inhabitant
I plan to have a pair of kribs in this tank, they should love the hollow wood... I hope...

The tank was far from perfect, unfortunately I didn't notice this chip on the side before getting it. It got me really nervous when filling it up, so far so good... I spread some epoxy on the chip too, just to feel safer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Looks good to me, I wish you were closer I have some Pelvicachromis sacrimontis Green Kribensis I would like to get rid of, one male and 3 females, he's a Morman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks but the Green Kribs are larger than the regular ones, right ? I'd rather get the smaller ones, so that it leaves some room for the tetras waiting in the old tank....

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
No, the same size as Pelvicachromis pulcher, Rainbow Kribensis but these breed easier and as long as you provide plants, wood, or a cave along with clean water these guys will deliver multiple clutches of eggs every year, so they are fun fish.

They both get 5" long so if your planing on shrimp or any tiny fish you better have good hiding with thick plant growth, a good ground cover, and some floating plants. They are good community fish but if it fits in their mouths they'll eat it and they will also pull out dwarf hair grass but will leave S. repens alone which is a good ground cover for shrimp.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's good to know. I don't plan to have dwarf hairgrass anyway. I'll use Dwarf Sag in the foreground... for the rest, it'll be Java Fern, Java Moss (already in place actually), Anubias, Crypts, Jungle Val / Corkscrew Val, Sag Chilensis. Hopefully there'll still be room for the fishes to swim
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got the plants yesterday ! The water is still a little bit troubled, but here are some pictures:

Anubias, Crypts, Lace Java Fern, Java moss, Amazon Sword, Wisteria, Sag, Dwarf Sag and Corkscrew Vals.

These Zebra nerites polished the rock overnight. Look how white it is !
2 of them died, but the remaining 4 are very active.

Side views...
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Very nice looking! Can't wait to see it totally finished. =)
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, look at all of those plants! Makes my tank look bare! Are you running CO2 in this tank or keeping it low tech?!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I like the jungly look.

It's low-tech all the way I have about 2wpg light, No Co2 (I use excel, but definitely not every day. Maybe once a week).
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice. It's very good that you went plant heavy at the start.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, make sure to post lots of updates I'm looking forward to seeing how this tank develops as mine is also low tech and just starting out.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Layout is nice.

It would probably look awesome if you threw in a little red in there. Maybe even a red tiger lotus? They're low maintenance and mine aren't picky at all with conditions (CO2, low/high light, etc.)

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your tank looks very nice. I had bad luck with kribs in a community. I have a pair of albinos that I had to move to a separate tank. They hunted down the tetras at night. Not pleasant.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood View Post
It would probably look awesome if you threw in a little red in there. Maybe even a red tiger lotus? They're low maintenance and mine aren't picky at all with conditions (CO2, low/high light, etc.)
Well actually, there are 2 red cryps on the left, behind the wood. And I'l going to put red rood floaters on the top right for balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky
I had bad luck with kribs in a community. I have a pair of albinos that I had to move to a separate tank. They hunted down the tetras at night. Not pleasant
Ouch. I hope mine will behave

-
-
- RAOK club #2 -
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The cat really likes this new TV I set up for her, too

-
-
- RAOK club #2 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode