UPDATED: Ben-Jammin's 75g Tank Journal 56K WARNING (Help Please) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
Post UPDATED: Ben-Jammin's 75g Tank Journal 56K WARNING (Help Please)

Alright so here we go....

First off these are my first two planted tanks, ever. I would like to do this in order for me to keep track of growth, dosing, problems, and how I solved them with the help of others for me to look back on as well as others to learn from.

So, here we go...

Tank 1:
Gallons: 10
Filter: Hydro I sponge filter/AC 70 turned all the way down till I can get a smaller one.
Lighting: 18" Marineland Double Bright LED about an inch from the top of the water or about 13 inches 11 inches from substrate
Substrate: 1.5 inches of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil capped with 1 inch of a mix of black blasting sand and black gravel.
Ferts: Homemade Osmocote Ice Cubes pushed under dirt about 4 inches apart, and also was thinking of dosing some dry ferts Micros/Macros about 2 X a week.
Plants: Anubias Nana, C. Wendtii, C Lucens, C. Beketti, C. Undulata, some Hornwort and some Java Moss
Fauna: 1 BN Pleco, and soon to have around 35 RCS to add in.
CO2: None at this time

I started this tank on 10/23/2011, added all the substrate and had the filters establised already from prior tanks I took down then. Got it all filled up, Planted, and add the BN I do to keep the cycle going till shrimp come in.

Tank 2:
Gallons: 75
Filters: Eheim Pro 3 2075, and AquaClear 110
Lighting: Coralife T5HO 2 X 54w 48" (1 x 10,000k and 1 x 6700k) On legs on top of tank, so about 20 inches from the substrate
Substrate: Black Blasting sand
Ferts: Osmocote Root Tabs and Dry Fert dosing EI of KNO3, PH2PO4, and CSM+B as per instructed for 60-80g tanks but cut in half since I am not heavily planted.
Plants: Anubias Nana, Anubias Lancelota, Java Moss, Jungle Val, Hornwort, C. Wendtii, C. Lucens, C. Undulata, and C. pontederiifolia
CO2: PB setup with 20oz tank and ceramic diffuser running around 3 bps.
Fauna: 6 Black Calvus, 14 Cyprichromis Leptosoma "Kerenge Island", Neolamprologus Multifaciatus, 4 Zebra Nerite Snails, 4 Albino BN plecos, and a few Ramshorn Snails.

This tank was setup for almost a year and recent switched out the PFS substrate for the Black sand and planted it on the same day as 10g 10/23/2011.

There is a start to my journal at least and will continue to update as I go along. Hope you all enjoy and can lend a hand when needed as I go through this learning experience hope to end up with a lush tank that looks half as nice as the ones I see on here!

Here are a few pics of the tanks as of today.

The 10g thats within the stand for the 75g

Here is the 75g

One anubias nana flowering

Thanks for looking and any/all comments or critique welcome. Like I said tho, my first time at aqua scaping with any live plant so go easy on me lol.

Last edited by xxbenjamminxx; 12-24-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some pics of the fish in the 75g as of now. Would also like to see how these progess in this journal.

The Cyprichromis- Bought on Aug. 28 2011 at about 1 inch.

As of the week of Oct. 13 2011

The Black Calvus F1

Multies:

More pics to come when I dont have 3 kids running around tonight!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those black calvus are stunning. I've never seen them before!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you, I have always liked them alot and was determined to get them. I love how they remind me of the old guy on the corner that would spray you with the hose when you cut across his lawn on your bike.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Planted Member

lol, well if you say so, they remind me of a cross between a bass and a pike... very interesting fish!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wanted to talk about my dosing regime a little if I could get some input from some more experienced members then myself.

I am going with the EI method of dosing dry ferts for the 75g.

I am mixing 1 tbls of CSM+B with 500ml of water and dosing about 20ml 3x a week, as well as dosing about 1/2 tsp of KNO3, and around 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4 3x a week (alternate days of CSM) with a 50% WC once a week.

Now with that being said do you think I am dosing too much, too little???? I would def say that I am lightly planted especially since all my plants are small at the moment. Is my only option to keep reducing my doses till I see a change in my plants? What kinds of changes will my plants display signaling a deficiency?

One of the reasons that made me think of this is since planting my Crypts like 4 days ago I have seem to have some Staghorn Algae pop up. It is mainly just on the couple Jungle Vals I have and some of the Swords I have. Also seems to be on the mature leaves rather then the newer sproutlets.

Besides that I have noticed that my Crypts are already starting to "Melt" after only 4 days of being in the tank. Doesnt seem to be all of them, but rather a few leafs on a few plants.

Finally for the 10g, I have also noticed some melt in there, almost like it seems worse in the smaller low tech tank than above in the big one.

For this tank I have been dosing 2x a week about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of KNO3 and a pinch of KH2PO4 and then giving about 5ml of the CSM+B that I prepared for the larger tank. Now without CO2 and only having the LEDs for lights is that way overboard? I am gonna be getting some RCS for this tank this week so dont wanna be doing something that will jeopardize them such as nitrate poisoning.

Any and all help will always be appreciated. I am really looking forward to what these tanks will look like in a couple months!

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well after doing a nitrate test this afternoon I found out I have been adding WAY too much KNO3 for the 10g and prob even a little too much for the 75g.

I have been doing a lot of reading and am gonna try just going with a "Pinch of KNO3 and KH2PO4" along with about 5ml of my CSM+B mix only once a week. Trying to get it to the point where I wont have to do much for water changes to try and keep the CO2 levels somewhat stable in the 10.

As for the larger tank I have not decided how much I should cut my doses down too. I was going with 1/2tsp of KNO3 but am gonna go as far a 1/4tsp and see how that tests out after a week of. I want to make sure my fauna doesnt get negatively affected from Nirtrate poisoning or anything similar.

If anyone sees anything that I am doing wrong or thinks I should be doing it differently please let me know.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am glad to say that what I thought was the dreaded "Crypt Melt" must have been limited to just a few leafs or it has yet to come on at full strength. I noticed about half a dozen leafs that started to form a couple little holes in them and a couple started to melt in from the edge. It seems to have stopped progressing and even have a few new leafs starting to sprout from the base of these new plants!!!! I know this is a common thing and nothing special really, but for a guy with my luck, this is doing pretty darn good so far. (Hope I didnt just Jinx myself!)

Also I will be starting a new thread about this but these two little plants have sprouted out of the Java moss that I have tied to some rocks and would like to see if anyone could ID these for me.

Here are a couple pics of the 2 mystery plants, really small yet, leafs are only about 2-3mm wide and overall height is only like Id say around 10mm or so.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been a little bit since I updated. I had to get my first refill on my PB system yesterday. It was running almost 2 months at at least 5bps. Cleaned my diffuser and am looking to upgrade it as well. Also got some Java Fern "Windolev" that I added to my tank today along with a few more Vals I picked up at the LFS.

While at the store today I seen he had some MTS (trumpet snails). He gets them from other people to feed the puffers in the store and said he would sell them for pretty cheap, like 50 cents each cheap and have been thinking of grabbing some to stir up the sand. What do you all think of that idea? How many to start with? I do have Ramshorns and some Nerites in there already so didnt wanna do an impulse buy on these and regret it later. Is there and down sides to have these in your tank other than a possible over population?

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbenjamminxx View Post
I wanted to talk about my dosing regime a little if I could get some input from some more experienced members then myself.

I am going with the EI method of dosing dry ferts for the 75g.

I am mixing 1 tbls of CSM+B with 500ml of water and dosing about 20ml 3x a week, as well as dosing about 1/2 tsp of KNO3, and around 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4 3x a week (alternate days of CSM) with a 50% WC once a week.

Now with that being said do you think I am dosing too much, too little???? I would def say that I am lightly planted especially since all my plants are small at the moment. Is my only option to keep reducing my doses till I see a change in my plants? What kinds of changes will my plants display signaling a deficiency?

One of the reasons that made me think of this is since planting my Crypts like 4 days ago I have seem to have some Staghorn Algae pop up. It is mainly just on the couple Jungle Vals I have and some of the Swords I have. Also seems to be on the mature leaves rather then the newer sproutlets.

Besides that I have noticed that my Crypts are already starting to "Melt" after only 4 days of being in the tank. Doesnt seem to be all of them, but rather a few leafs on a few plants.

Finally for the 10g, I have also noticed some melt in there, almost like it seems worse in the smaller low tech tank than above in the big one.

For this tank I have been dosing 2x a week about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of KNO3 and a pinch of KH2PO4 and then giving about 5ml of the CSM+B that I prepared for the larger tank. Now without CO2 and only having the LEDs for lights is that way overboard? I am gonna be getting some RCS for this tank this week so dont wanna be doing something that will jeopardize them such as nitrate poisoning.

Any and all help will always be appreciated. I am really looking forward to what these tanks will look like in a couple months!
For a 75 gallon tank shouldn't you be dosing 3/4 tsp of KNO3 instead of 1/2 tsp? I'm telling you this because I have a 75g as well. Is there is specific reason you're only dosing 1/2 tsp 3x a week? Just curious.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually I am dosing even less now. I was dosing the 1/2 tsp and at the end of the week with a 50% WC I was still at like 60ppm of KNO3. Figured that there isnt a need to keep it that high and was basiclly wasting the extra KNO3. Keep in mind that my tank is not heavily planted by any means, but is slowly getting there.

I am also concerned about the fishes health that are in there with it being that high. I have been slowly increasing it but even when I was doing 1/8 tsp I was staying around the 20 ppm mark throughout the week. If this doesnt sound right please correct me. I am still trying to learn all this as I go along.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbenjamminxx View Post
Actually I am dosing even less now. I was dosing the 1/2 tsp and at the end of the week with a 50% WC I was still at like 60ppm of KNO3. Figured that there isnt a need to keep it that high and was basiclly wasting the extra KNO3. Keep in mind that my tank is not heavily planted by any means, but is slowly getting there.

I am also concerned about the fishes health that are in there with it being that high. I have been slowly increasing it but even when I was doing 1/8 tsp I was staying around the 20 ppm mark throughout the week. If this doesnt sound right please correct me. I am still trying to learn all this as I go along.
I'm not an expert either when it comes to ferts but maybe you're water source has some decent levels of nitrates in it. I know mine has 5 ppm to begin with.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never thought to check that. I will do that in a few min and see what I get. Thanks for the idea.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well been awhile since I have updated this so.... here we go.

Got some more plants over the last couple weeks, so let me know if I can list them and in my next post I would like to try and get a couple IDs if possible to be sure.

Today I got some Anubias Nana "Petite" ( 4 of them), Water Wisteria (about 10 6 inch trimmmings), and an unidentified one that I was told was called "Red Temple". I am in the process of adding them to the tank now and it is really starting to fill it up nicely now.

About a 2-3 weeks go I got 20 plants of Corkscrew Val and have them planted in there but are definitely not taking off yet. I have a few new "screwy" leafs coming up from the vals but can't wait until it starts sending runners and really filling it in. I planted them in the substrate fairly deeply and then pulled them up just until the rhizome was poking out of the substrate.

Also I have added some Dwarf Water lettuce that is really growing like a weed and taking over the surface of my 75g. Been giving the stuff away locally and posted a RAOK for it so hit me up if you need some.

I added a Crypt. Cordata 'Rosanervig', some Rotala mexicana 'Araguaia' , and some Blyxa Japonica as well. The Blyxa is starting to turn around, is taking hold with some roots (finally) and it tossing out some new leafs? blades? (whatever you call them). The Rotala is starting to finally grow, but I moved it all over to one side while planting the Wisteria today so hoping that will not set them back too far. The Rosanervig is looking good. The leafs are reaching for the lights and I can see the root spreading around it, and the best part is that I experienced pretty much no melting at all from any Crypts. I think that is about it for what I have added since my last update.

I did remove the Neolamp. Multifaciatus and sold/traded them for some of the plants and cash. I really like them, but they are def not meant for a planted tank since they are like little bulldozers, they move that much substrate on you and in a hurry too. I am planning on someday replacing them with some Eret. Gobies from lake Tang, most likely the ones referred to as Blue Spotted Gobies. The scientific name is Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot. Would like to add a group of 3-4 if I could someday, but prob not until summer time now thats its freezing here already.

Now for a question if I may.

1. While planting Wisteria do you plant it in the substrate or do you just weigh it down?

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode