90 Gallon Altum tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
90 Gallon Altum tank

Thought that I'd move this here instead of the general forum. Here's an updated picture of the tank; need to do some trimming and rearranging sometime this week.

Still not fully awake yet, so they're still schooling, instead of pushing each other around :

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful Altums. What is your plan with them. Like when they start pairing off. Is the tank big enough for each pair to have their own space or will you have to eventually move some of them?

Also, how has your experience been with wild fish, ie de-worming, acclimation, etc.?
post #3 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Planning on adding four more to the group and eventually grow all 10 of them out. As they age a bit more, I'm gonna try my hand at breeding them. They're actually at a decent size right now, the largest one being 3" long and 6" tall. I've bred P. scalare before at that size, but altums are a bit more finicky.

The tank is a bit small for the group, but they find enough refuge in the plants from each other. They still haven't paired up yet, although the two that usually hang in the front of the tank are starting to leave each other alone. As they pair up, I'll separate them and perhaps set up individual breeding tanks (still too early to tell).

Gonna have to pick up a couple more 10,000K bulbs soon and see how they work for pics, or turn off the 6,700k...they're coming out very green-yellow.

Wild fish haven't troubled me much. I didn't bring these altums in myself and another person did. I picked them up a month later and most of them had regrown their full finnage. I just went through and dewormed them to make sure, but other than that not much else. They've come down with ick before, but I just leave them alone and let their immune systems fight it off. Usually, wild fish are vulnerable when they're first introduced, but once they're acclimated, they generally more hardy than commercial bred ones.

I've shipped in other wild fish before in the past (green neons being the last fish), and they're placed in quarantine tanks. The batch of neons had two DOAs, but they were refunded and the rest placed in quarantine. While in quarantine, they're dewormed and treated for other ailments (fungus, ich, etc.). After two weeks, they're added to the main tank and basically left to fend for themselves (usually no medication is added, unless a sizable of the population is affected).

Eric

post #4 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Wow those altums are looking good eric! I remember when they first came in. They were pretty tough still but developed fin rot. Some furan 2 cleaned them up quickly. Good luck with breeding!
post #5 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (116/100%)
wow! awesome looking fish there Eric! Where did you get them hehehe.. they are so big now! can't wait for you to add 4 more. 10 altums schooling together would be awesome. ehehehe.
post #6 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see some more of them together. The picture was taken last night and they were starting to wake up, otherwise, they don't school as close as that.

Eric

post #7 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looking into the tank it looks like it goes on forever, the background really adds the effect.
post #8 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks good, the altums blend in with the tank!
post #9 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Looking into the tank it looks like it goes on forever...
White walls for backgrounds are highly underrated, IMO.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #10 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Haha...yeah, white wall is in, when it's actually white. The 1/2" glass really gives off a greenish tint to the pictures, and it gets worse since it eventually has to penetrate the other 1/2" on the other side...never had this problem before, but that was with either acrylic tanks or in glass tanks w/thinner glass.

Anyways, had to put a big chunk of driftwood in w/java ferns attached. Got it this weekend from Dan and it's been sitting outside of the tank in an empty bucket. Figure that I had to get it in the tank before it wilts any further. Here's the massive chunk added to the tank. Also trimmed some of the plants down.

Eric

post #11 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 04:16 PM

Eric,

I am glad you found a place for the driftwood and Java Fern. Your tank looks great! I can't wait until I can set mine up again. It will probably be about a month if all goes well. Thanks for helping with all the fish. I am sure they found a happy home.

Dan
post #12 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Hey, Dan. Glad to see that you are still abouts on the board, even among the moving. The piece of driftwood and java was just too good to pass up and definitely works in the setup; thanks, once again.

I'll be redoing the tank sometime soon to open more of it up and will use that as a centerpiece. Let me know once you're settled and have started that tank up.

Eric

post #13 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

beautiful tank.very natural
post #14 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

great tank, the marselia has really taken off. I love those altums! How big will they become in the end? Too big for a pair to be in a 35 gallon?

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #15 of 203 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man thats nice!

Good going Eric!

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode