6th grade classroom planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
6th grade classroom planted tank

Hello!

A while back, I posted a thread in the Swap 'n shop asking for cheap goods so I could set-up a tank in a classroom. Well, I should have guessed this, but this forum is amazing and donated ADA substrate, a CO2 regulator, Fish, shrimp, plants, a light, a canister filter, and the list goes on and on. This tank would not be possible if it weren't for such giving members.

The tank is really cloudy right now, and I need some more plants, but other than that, its coming along nicely thanks to everybody.

Here are some specs:
  • Substrate - 9L of ADA amazonia new type ---- THANKS AZFISHKID!
  • Filter - SunSun [/B]---- THANKS Mordalphus, Moonshinetheslacker, and Craigthor
  • Light - 48w odyssea ---- THANKS Pepetj and to Bsmith for providing the bulbs
  • 5lb co2 set-up ($250 retail plus shipping ) ---- ALL THANKS TO BETTA TAIL!

Plants:
  • Hygrophila polysperma 'sunset'
  • Blyxa Japonica
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Persicaria hydropiperoides
  • Eichhornia diversifolia
  • Glossotigma
  • Narrow leaf pink chain sword
  • Lindernia sp. 'india'
  • Hygrophila sp. 'tiger'
  • Rotala indica

Thank you Mscichlid and Azfishkid for most the plants!

Stocked Fish
  • 3 assassin snailss
  • 20 espeis rasbora
  • 4 otocinclus
  • 15 Red Cherry shrimp (but soon to be a colony!)

Thanks Msjinkndz for all the fish!

Pictures!

The Teacher next to the tank (aka my father, like his awesome beard?):

Why yes, it is just a big cloud of water right now (clearer pictures to come tomorrow):

Here is the complete list of people who donated/contributed. Thank you so much to all the donors!

• Azfishkid,
  • Msjinknds,
  • bettatail,
  • Bsmith,
  • pepetj,
  • duff,
  • Craigthor,
  • mscichlid,
  • jeffvmd,
  • Mordalphus,
  • home grown,
  • Axelrodi202,
  • non conductive.
  • jkan0228
  • HypnoticAquatic
  • Speedie408
  • PC1
  • YellowDawg
  • Southern Oak Aquatics

I 'think' I may have left some people out, but I looked. If you donated and are left out of the group, shoot me a PM and I'll make it right

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran

Last edited by Da Plant Man; 02-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
way to forget me and my crypts.....

Take some pics once its clear!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
cool can't wait to see it clear....wait that's your dad? I though the unibomber was in jail already?....lol...j/k...

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
cool can't wait to see it clear....wait that's your dad? I though the unibomber was in jail already?....lol...j/k...
Yup! He never actually went to jail, that was just to make the people happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
way to forget me and my crypts.....

Take some pics once its clear!
Going to take some pictures tomorrow. Your name has been added

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Nice Job, I was thinking of going back to sckool (school) after I saw all the ROAK's pouring into your thread, it's good to see you've got the journal started and I can't wait to see more.

Subscribed!!!!!!

post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cool thing to have in a classroom! I wish other people/teachers would do this so that other people can learn! just remember to keep all the stuff either under watch or lock and key as some people look to destroy or steal and mostly if it's worth something!

<--- My tank!!!

post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

If my dad isn't in the classroom, the room is locked, so we should be good as far as equipment safety goes.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
sounds good as I wouldn't want the stuff that was donated to you would be stolen by some other kid or even an adult...

<--- My tank!!!

post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
nice man cant wait to see clear pics later. is that glosso doing alright for ya?
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

The glosso kinda sorta died a little. It's coming back though. I think most of it was that it went from submersed to emersed and then back to submersed. Its just a little bit confused

BTW, your name has been added to the list.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1

Last edited by Da Plant Man; 10-25-2011 at 05:20 PM.
post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Glad to see you got the journal started. Keep us updated on the progress.
You have now made me decide that I have to re-do the 20g in my wifes class room (3rd grade)

Semper Fi
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
can't wait to see how it goes!

question for you though, before you add snails, does this ada soil also suck out the hardness? If so, you may want to nix the nerites as their shells will erode
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

You know...I don't know if it does take away the hardness. I'll measure the kH and gH later. If it does, thats fine, I just wont get nerites. Thanks!

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
p.s. i like dad's beard.
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Went to the tank today, after having it in the classroom for one day, I was told that most the kids love it, and the teachers have never seen real aquatic plants before. So far it has gained some interest, one other teacher in particular likes aquariums, so maybe I can get him hooked on planted aquariums

I took pictures today but have no way to upload them. They will be uploaded tomorrow though

I am also looking for around 30-40 stems of a rotala. I got money that I earned from working for my neighbors, so if anybody has a redish rotala and ALOT of it, lemme know. Preferably 20 stems of a rotala and 20 stems of another type of rotala/plant that grows well and makes nice bushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
p.s. i like dad's beard.
His beard is amazing. I hope I get to have a beard like his one day.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1

Tags
20g, aquarium, classrom, da plant man, high tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode