120P Mr. Aqua -- update 3.26.12 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
120P Mr. Aqua -- update 3.26.12

I've had this thread open in my local aquascape club (SCAPE)... but I thought I'd share it here now that it's finally growing decently. That said, I will begin updating the threads concurrently as the tank continues to age.

Specifications:

HARDWARE:

✔ 65g Mr. Aqua Rimless
✔ Custom "ADA" style stand
✔ extra thick foam mat
✔ 4ft, 4-bulb, T5HO Fishneedit light
✔ 4 Large bags of Fluval flora substrate
✔ Rena Xp4 canister
✔ Acrylic Lily Piples

Here's the dry setup when I was trying to figure out the hardscape...

Beginning the scaping process (this was all very tentative):

After a while when I figured things out a little better:

-------------------------

It's still very much in the process of growing out, but I hope to have a much fuller set of stems and foreground within the next couple of months. I've been trying to be patient. Here's an update... the tank is approximately 1 month old.

Haven't really been dosing at all aside from the root tabs... I will start after the levels get better. There's still issues with algae because of the excess in nutrients.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dtsuyuki; 03-26-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants list:

Anubias Nana and 'petite'
Elatine Tiandra
Didiplis Diandra
Ludwigia sp. 'Cuba'
ludwigia ovalis
bolbitus
needle leaf java fern
fissidens fontanus
mini pelia
peacock moss
'mini' christmas moss

120 lbs+ seiryu stone
5 bags fluval stratum substrate

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks great!

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I cannot believe that more people have not commented on this post! Your tank is AMAZING. I LOVE what you did to it, love the way you scaped it... Seriously envious! Come fix my tank lol.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Wow...that's a hot looking tank...nice Scape...I mean SCAPE!

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Member

Very nice so far. I love the rock.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really like the SCAPE!!!

<--- My tank!!!

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
I cannot believe that more people have not commented on this post! Your tank is AMAZING. I LOVE what you did to it, love the way you scaped it... Seriously envious! Come fix my tank lol.
That's really nice of you to say. Thank you so much. And thanks to all that posted comments.

Any critical suggestions? All are welcome...

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Critical suggestions my butt, this looks like an ADA contest winner. Really amazing tank, what are you doing for fauna?
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Looks good even with the algae!! How much do one of those tanks run?

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by koebwil View Post
Critical suggestions my butt, this looks like an ADA contest winner. Really amazing tank, what are you doing for fauna?
Fauna? About 50 of these suckers... (Neon Green Rasboras)...

Quote:
How much do one of those tanks run?
I think like 400 or so... Not exactly sure.. My amazing girlfriend got the tank and stand for my bday. Ya.. I know.. totally spoiled. haha.

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

btw. anyone have experience with rena xp4 (or 1-3 models) filters? I'm really not liking the air that continues to accumulate in that filter. I'm running that with an eheim 2213 on this tank, and the eheim is so much easier to deal with. I have to constantly shake the xp4 to release the air, which only comes back in like 12 hours.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM
ShrimpRetirement

The rena that I have XP2 I believe sucks! It burps out air at least once every few hours and once it loses power, you have to reprime the sucker or it won't cycle water at all. I'm thinking this issue can possibly lead to a burned out motor or worse a fire I'd imagine.

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
The rena that I have XP2 I believe sucks! It burps out air at least once every few hours and once it loses power, you have to reprime the sucker or it won't cycle water at all. I'm thinking this issue can possibly lead to a burned out motor or worse a fire I'd imagine.
seriously.. btw man.. your tank is awesome.. and the photography.. I only wish you were my neighbor so I could have you take some decent pics of my tank.

I'm stuck with an iphone and photoshop. Not much to work with in terms of resolution...

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Thanks bro. Move to the Bay We got a better club up here called SFBAAPS

I'll take all the pictures you want for you then.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode