My 20g High ***New Updates 12/2/11*** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 20g High ***New Updates 12/2/11***

My tank has been running for a little over a month now... And after losing 2 female electric blue rams and just finished up switching out my white gravel to some Eco-complete, this is where I'm currently at...

Tank Specs:

20g High
Aqua Clear 50 HOB filter
Marineland Heater (dunno how many watts)
2x24 Current USA Nova Extreme Freshwater T5HO 12k and 10k bulbs
Eco-Complete

Temp: 82 degrees

Fish:
2 boesemani rainbowfish
1 gold balloon ram
1 electric blue ram
3 angelfish
2 zebra otos

Plants:
banana plant
anubias barteri on driftwood
anubias congenisis on lava rock
ambulia
java fern
java moss on slate rock
lindernia sp india
ludwigia arcuata
*Rotala rotundifolia
*Limnophila aromatica
*Rotala rotundifolia
*Limnophila repens 'Mini'

*plant species were id'd on this forum for me

I plan on getting a pressurized CO2 setup but can't justify getting a pricey regulator so I may look into the Fluval 88g CO2 or something comparable.. Any suggestions are appreciated..

Now on wit the photos..

Started out like this..
[IMG][/IMG]

Bought a stem package from Herns, but only had room for this (the remaining plants went to a friend and are doing real niice!)
[IMG][/IMG]

12 hours ago, it looked like this
[IMG][/IMG]

Drums please...

It currently sits like this (but not so cloudy)
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for the [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty camera phone pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^a collection of mix downloads inspired in part by my fish tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DeeJayA1; 12-03-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looking good. As for CO2, I have been doing research on them for my next high tech planted tank. In the long run, those fluval will be more expensive as you have to refill CO2 more often, compared to those more expensive regulator.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ooopss, double posts. Sorry

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I was looking into a DIY CO2 setup, but i don't like the fact that you can't "turn it off." I don't want to wake up one morning and see dead fish due to the CO2 overdosing the tank... The pressurized setups are definitely nice, but I haven't come to terms with spending that kind of cash for my 20gallon. With that said, do any of you have suggestions and more importantly, experience on a lower cost pressurized paintball system?

Also, I still have yet to figure out what kind of tank setup i have... Is it low tech, high tech?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you considered doing a low-tech no CO2 setup? Thats the route I've gone with mine. your tank looks much better with the real plants
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
Have you considered doing a low-tech no CO2 setup? Thats the route I've gone with mine. your tank looks much better with the real plants

I still don't really know what the difference is between low tech and hi tech...

On another note, any recommendations on a dosing regimen? I'm currently dosing the tank with flourish excel and api leaf zone... for excel, i dose with 1 cap full weekly after my water change every saturday and an estimated 2 ml every wed... for the leaf zone, i do 10 ml after the wc and 5ml on wed. I have api root tabs in the substrate as well.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Just added my cleanup crew yesterday... Picked up 2 zebra otos and they've been going to town... My airline hoses are clear again!!! Like everyone says, a fat oto is a happy oto. I just hope the algae can keep up to keep them nice and plump.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayA1 View Post
I still don't really know what the difference is between low tech and hi tech...
It depends on how you look at. I think, anything without CO2 is low tech. Just my opinion. Here is a link I started about it:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...nk-really.html

Nice otto. I love them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks for that! definitely cleared things up for me... With the amount of maintenance I've done and plan on doing... i guess it's sorta high tech haha. still debating on the co2 but i'm gonna have to wait till my plants grow out a bit more before i decide what to do next.

I hate having to play the waiting game, tho.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Plants are starting to grow in decently... but dealing with the early stages of BBA... hopefully I can get past my algae woes...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Didn't go into the office today so I decided to rescape my tank... again. But this time, I decided to go for something that I won't mess with for a while... Please let me know what you all think...

I opted for recycling the tank water to keep with my weekly schedule (I do my WC's on Saturdays) and placed the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and heater and went to work...

After about 2 hours, I was pretty much done and it ended up like this..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode