Planted "Shrimps and Snails Heaven" tank *Updated 01/09/12* : Sick of tea water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Planted "Shrimps and Snails Heaven" tank *Updated 01/09/12* : Sick of tea water

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my journal of my 10G (these all can't be done without the big support and help from my girlfriend). This tank is basically my fundamental of the whole project that I've been working on, which is a 140G aquarium. This 10G has been helping me in the past few months from water cycle, aquascaping, hospital tank, breeder tank, etc etc. From gold fish, to tetra, to cory, etc etc.

Out of all those experiences and experiment, I love rescaping it. In early stages, I really didn't care about those plants. All I care was looking good. As time goes by, my plants didn't even die. They actually kept on growing and growing. This contradicts with what my LFS told me, that I will be wasting my money on plants. I wondered, those plants were growing without anything, just pure gravel and thought, what if I really feed them. First thing comes to my mind: rich substrate. Then finally I did a research on substrates and how to care the plants.

That's why I decided to try this MiracleGro Organic Potting Soil, covered with Sand (Pool Filter sand). Here are some of the previous pictures of my tank:

Ok, so I got all the things that I need and I have a few hours to work on it. I will be taking pictures for my "REAL" planted tank progress. I am so excited. I will be posting some pictures hopefully later on tonight.

Thanks,

GV

Last edited by green_valley; 01-10-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Looks great! I don't want to be the downer, but some of your plants are not aquatic. That 'bamboo' isn't aquatic and those tetra need a 29g or larger IMO (some may disagree).

Can't wait to see it progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Looks great! I don't want to be the downer, but some of your plants are not aquatic. That 'bamboo' isn't aquatic and those tetra need a 29g or larger IMO (some may disagree).

Can't wait to see it progress!
Thank you and thank you for your critics. You're not the downer, and I actually agreed with you about the bamboo. I don't actually like it. I just didn't want to throw it away, that's why it's there. I would agree with you too. They stay there just because they were helping my water cycle. Talking about tough and hardy fish, you can't go any wrong with them. They went through the summer when it reached over 90 degrees and amonia level went through the roof. None died.

As for progress, I got them done, and I got more plants tomorrow. I'll be posting them soon.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Going to follow along for the ride on this one.

Watch out for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes for the first few weeks when you put the soil in. It is going to go through the roof the first week or two. I just did something like this on my 2.5 gallon and was trying to figure out how long it took for the levels to come back down. I put the dirt in there on 10/2 and was still getting small readings as of 10/19. Just something to watch out for. If you want to see more on it, you can find all the info in my thread and the smaller threads I link in the first post of mine. Or feel free to PM me with questions. Also, and excellent resource on this forum would be wkndracer. He is pretty much the dirt guru around here.

Good luck man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

P.S. - I like how the tank looked in that last picture. It worked well with the sand and rock pile.

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Going to follow along for the ride on this one.

Watch out for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes for the first few weeks when you put the soil in. It is going to go through the roof the first week or two. I just did something like this on my 2.5 gallon and was trying to figure out how long it took for the levels to come back down. I put the dirt in there on 10/2 and was still getting small readings as of 10/19. Just something to watch out for. If you want to see more on it, you can find all the info in my thread and the smaller threads I link in the first post of mine. Or feel free to PM me with questions. Also, and excellent resource on this forum would be wkndracer. He is pretty much the dirt guru around here.

Good luck man.
Thank you, Sir. I will for sure be watching the amonia level just like you suggested. Yeah, I believe wkndracer convinced me to try the potting organic soil .

Quote:
P.S. - I like how the tank looked in that last picture. It worked well with the sand and rock pile.
Thank you, but unfortunately it's gone now. New scape is coming tonight
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Thank you, Sir. I will for sure be watching the amonia level just like you suggested. Yeah, I believe wkndracer convinced me to try the potting organic soil .

Thank you, but unfortunately it's gone now. New scape is coming tonight
The ammonia spike will be significant the first couple of weeks. Are you planning on putting your fish elsewhere while you do this.

Looking forward to it.

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tanks looking good, if I'm perfectly honest, I really liked the scape in the first pic... I would space out the plants but I love how the rocks looked in the first one
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The ammonia spike will be significant the first couple of weeks. Are you planning on putting your fish elsewhere while you do this.

Looking forward to it.
Yeah, ...remember I got my big bad boy I am so excited to post the pictures, but I got home late and I am exhausted. I can't wait to see what you think. It's looking good and wanted to share it so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
Tanks looking good, if I'm perfectly honest, I really liked the scape in the first pic... I would space out the plants but I love how the rocks looked in the first one
Thank you for being honest. WOWWWW, I was surprised you like that. It's my very very very first scaping. I love rocks, and they're from my backyard. I totally agree with you about spreading the plants.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Yeah, ...remember I got my big bad boy I am so excited to post the pictures, but I got home late and I am exhausted. I can't wait to see what you think. It's looking good and wanted to share it so bad.

Thank you for being honest. WOWWWW, I was surprised you like that. It's my very very very first scaping. I love rocks, and they're from my backyard. I totally agree with you about spreading the plants.
It's cool. Take your time with it. Nothing wrong with that.

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes, finally i got some little updates.

As much as I love the last scape, unfortunately, it's time to get some new looks. So here we go step by step:

This is when I took the last scape down. Redo the whole thing from Zero, I got the water drained, plants were moved, and just need to clean out the gravel.

The tank is clean and ready from the scratch.

These are all the equipment needed, and not to mention my best fried: The thick and long cotton towel

I was SOOOOOO Excited that I was about to try this substrate. Specially knowing that this has so much nutrition in there. I just wish that I bought smaller one. It has tons of them. Too much for this project.

I was even more excited when I puored the soil. It was lumpy here and there, but It wasn't too much problem at all. I thought there would be more barks, but not at all. And those lumpy things, easily crushed by hands. Then level it out.

OMG OMG OMG This is the best part of all. I love laying down (topping off) the Potting Soil with Pool Filter Sand. OMG OMG......I had so much fun, and just level it out with piece of wood.

That's it, all done with 1 inch of soil, and 1 inch of cap PFS.

**** Green ****

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't wait to see more!! I'm jealous of your pool filter sand honestly...
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nice.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
Can't wait to see more!! I'm jealous of your pool filter sand honestly...
Not to rub it in, but I LOVE this filter sand. They're not too big, and not too small either.

Quote:
Very nice.
Thank you sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, So here is more updates:

Getting more excited. Time for the water in there. So here is the tupperware that I used to pour the water. I used a very very small siphon, that way it won't disturb the PFS. Slowly but surely.

My previous planting, I planted first then filled up water. This time, I wanted to try the other way, water first then planted. Since I wanted carpet (minuta), I filled up enough water just to get them planted. I am telling you.

I am inspired by iwagumi style. I love the rock. So the rocks from previous scape will be here as well. I love doing this, moving things around, here and there. LOVE IT

I AM STILL IMPRESSED with PFS, it is so light to move around for planting, but yet, it will hold the plants. Whoever discover this idea, credit for him/her. There goes minuta...being planted.

Now, it's time for the longer plants. Yeah, I know, the bamboo is still there. But I just can't throw it away. I will just put more plant in front of it. This method worked pretty nicely, this way, the taller plant will somewhat floating and really help planting a little easier.

Background:
- Anacharis
- Rotala
- Bamboo

Foreground:
- marsilea minuta (love these guys)
- Dwarf Hairgrass
- Dwarf sags
- Moss (but not sure which moss)

Fauna:
- MTS
- RamHorn snails

I totally forgot about the name of these two plants. I really wanted to see if they can survive. They were somewhat yellowing and melting. Hopefully they will come up stronger.

There are a lot of spaces, and yes, they are more plants coming. I can't wait to have this tank full of plants. If you have any suggestions, opinion, etc. Please dont hesitate to comment.

Thank you,

**** Green ****

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Scape looks good.

The first plants looks like a Bacopa. Not really sure though.

The second plant is a Peacock Fern and is not aquatic at all. You can use it as a house plant though. If I were you, I would yank that one right away. As for the bamboo, if it is allowed to grow out of the top of the tank it could do well in there, if not you can put the base in a small bowl with the dirt and pool filter sand and put it in a window. It will grow with It's feet wet, but it gets really tall. Google lucky bamboo, and you should see some planting ideas.

Good luck.

P.S. - What other plants are you getting? And any ideas on fish yet?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode