28 Gallon(?) Bowfront "Danger Lurks" Habitat - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
28 Gallon(?) Bowfront "Danger Lurks" Habitat

Ok so I figured I'd try this journal log thing so whenever I have issues I can post it for those following along and not have to give my life story to everyone over and over again

I have been out of the hobby for a few years - I originally got into planted tanks back in Boston, but had to sell my 55G when I moved down to Miami - Now, after stumbling on this 28G Bowfront MarineLand tank for $9.97 on clearance at Petsmart I figured, "meh, why not".

I tossed in some gravel thinking it would give me the look I wanted, but didnt think much in regards to planting. Now I am going to swap that over to a mix of the natural pebble thats in there, top soil, and eco-complete.

I bought 6 plants (buy 2 get 1 free) from petco, tossed in 20 feeder guppy's and 20 ghost shrimp and let them start cycling the tank - also grabbed a piece of filter media from my friends LFS and squeezed that in the tank too

Needless to say, the water is doing rather well LOL

Im waiting on my light fixture to arrive before I toss in the Co2 setup - for now I am just blowing in it gently for 5-10 min at a time a few times a day - if this actually offers any benefit I have no idea, but figured why not.

I will be running 2 X 24W T5HO's on the tank - and not the 2 X 11W Ikea Lamps that are balanced on there now LOL - they actually fit quite well surprisingly. I have those on there just to keep the plants doing their thing.

On the back is a new Aquaclear 50, ummm... Co2 will be DIY through an Airstone hanging right next to the intake of the filter.

My plan is to set up the tank to house my baby Senegal Bichir - it is approx 3 inches, and I figure atleast for the time being it will offer plenty of space. I am keeping it densly planted at the top and sides to offer some protection for fry of live bearers, and a food source for him - going to leave a rubber lipped pleco in as well to keep the glass clean and a syd-jaguar cat just cause its good looking.

The plant are all just free floating around at the moment.. Just wanted to get them out of their shipping materials.

So here's the recap, and the pics! Offer any suggestions you guys have!

BTW - How do I plant the last plants that are bunched but do not have any root development!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finished planting the tank - drained out 80% of the gravel as it was raising my PH and drained 1/2 the water - dumped in about 10lbs of topsoil - which, FYI DOESNT SETTLE!!! - drained the rest out, added more dry topsoil to make a mud, capped with eco complete and started filling. I put a rock in to splash the water off of rather then stir up the bottom again, but even tho it was cloudy as hell so I had to wait several hours before planting, during which I'd stuop for 20-30 min at a time to clear up and plant more.

This is the final product - hopefully when my T5HO's and Co2 are setup it fills in nicely

EDIT: Those are feeder guppies killing brine shrimp all over the place.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Member

Can't wait to see it when it clears up I used miracle-gro potting mix capped with blasting sand and the potting mix drives me NUTS, somehow it always finds a way to float up to the top... Might be my own fault though, maybe I didn't cap it quite enough...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode