*RIP* 8.5 Gallon Erio Riverbank Scape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
*RIP* 8.5 Gallon Erio Riverbank Scape

This tank is no more..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ADA; 04-20-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Sweet new tank man. You know my vote. A. all the way. You can always turn A into C later....haha...

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Iwagumi + shrimp!

It's the perfect footprint and width for Iwagumi and brightly colored shrimp look awesome in Iwagumi tanks.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A + B all the way
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Haha thanks! A and B sounds good for now.. the problem is though...

Iwagumi kind of requires high tech/Co2... shrimps hate Co2.. how does one get around this??

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Ahhhhhhhh, it looks so clean and sparkily!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
Haha thanks! A and B sounds good for now.. the problem is though...

Iwagumi kind of requires high tech/Co2... shrimps hate Co2.. how does one get around this??
That's why I voted A + C. You'll need to pump CO2 for a proper carpet. Maybe this could be your cull tank and you can pump CO2 anyways.

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
I'm running CO2 in all of my cherry tanks. Also have three iwagumi currently that have shrimp and CO2. You won't have losses or stress if you stay within balance. And based on your existing tanks, I think you're more than capable.

Whatever you decide, I absolutely cannot wait to see how this turns out. Your other tanks have been amazing.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Make a really nice nature aquarium style, with java fern, wood and make it look great. The reason why I chose this one is that I see a lot of nice Iwagumi, but not as many aquascaped nature aquariums, more just jungles.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
That's why I voted A + C. You'll need to pump CO2 for a proper carpet. Maybe this could be your cull tank and you can pump CO2 anyways.
Excellent point, Sir.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
Make a really nice nature aquarium style, with java fern, wood and make it look great. The reason why I chose this one is that I see a lot of nice Iwagumi, but not as many aquascaped nature aquariums, more just jungles.
That sounds good.. I have some really nice pieces of Manzanita, and plenty of Koa and Carissa wood that has lovely characteristics. I'm certainly going to consider this carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I'm running CO2 in all of my cherry tanks. Also have three iwagumi currently that have shrimp and CO2. You won't have losses or stress if you stay within balance. And based on your existing tanks, I think you're more than capable.
Hmm, I don't have any Cherrys, which are tough little critters. Typically RCS can handle a large variety of water conditions, but CRS, particularly the high grade ones are much more sensitive. Co2 is possible, but it has to be done extremely carefully, especially when you have $100 a piece shrimps!! haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Whatever you decide, I absolutely cannot wait to see how this turns out. Your other tanks have been amazing.
Thanks.. that's very nice of you to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Ahhhhhhhh, it looks so clean and sparkily!
Thanks! It does, doesn't it! I LOVE rimless tanks.. there's nothing quite like a nice sparkly brand new one.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Updates coming soon! I just installed my nice shiny new Fluval 306! Beautiful, WHISPER quiet, and super powerful filter. It was a very good purchase.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question is what haven't you tried and what would you like to try? Make the aquascape more challenging or something you haven't done before so it's less like a clone of another tank

Also, shrimps can do fine with fish too (as long as they're not aggressive obviously) so maybe also try for some fish you haven't tried before to keep things fresh Keep us updated of course!

Just curious, how's the Fluval 306 flow on the tank? I assume you're using a lily pipe and inline heater - does that reduce the flow enough for a tank this size? I'm actually about to get a canister filter for my 10.5 gallon tank and I want to make sure the flow doesn't blow my water out the tank! =)
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Question is what haven't you tried and what would you like to try? Make the aquascape more challenging or something you haven't done before so it's less like a clone of another tank
I did something new! made a "river" of sand.. the challenge was to get the sand part to stay separate from the Aquasoil.. I used acrylic, melted it into the right shaped "edges" and super glued some aqua soil onto it so you can't see the plastic and so it blends with the Aquasoil bed. It worked great!

Quote:
Also, shrimps can do fine with fish too (as long as they're not aggressive obviously) so maybe also try for some fish you haven't tried before to keep things fresh Keep us updated of course!
I'm not planning on keeping shrimp in this tank, although I'll likely end up with all of my CRS culls from the other tank in there! haha.. I'm thinking about having a pair of Blue Rams in there.. 8.5 Gallons should be enough.

Quote:
Just curious, how's the Fluval 306 flow on the tank? I assume you're using a lily pipe and inline heater - does that reduce the flow enough for a tank this size? I'm actually about to get a canister filter for my 10.5 gallon tank and I want to make sure the flow doesn't blow my water out the tank! =)
Omg.. this is the best filter I have ever tried.. it's incredibly quiet.. I can't even hear it's on. It's SO much more powerful than the Eheim 2215 I had on there, but it's adjustable. I can set the flow to exactly where I want it. I have it on full right now, and it's a bit of a whirlpool in there. I'm hoping the extra current will help to deal with some of the algae I have growing in there. I know there are other things (light/co2/fertz) that are very important to reduce algae, but I reckon good flow will help too. I don't use a heater (Hawaii) and at this time I just have the stock flow pipes installed, but I'll be putting lily pipes on soon. The stock pipes have a lot of flow, but as long as the outflow is pointed in the right direction, it works fine.
It will work fine on your 10 gallon. I would't worry about having too much flow.. like you said, adding inline things will reduce flow, and with the adjustment lever that's built into this filter, you're going to be fine.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I was hoping for some new pics, you gotta show the good with the bad!!!

Rams are nice fish and your almost guaranteed some fry too.

I have always been an Eheim guy but was also surprised at the leap in power from the 2215 to the 2217 but there is no flow adjustment, etc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode