New 2.5g nano shrimp tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New 2.5g nano shrimp tank!

Hello all, I'm very new to the hobby and the forum and recently found a berried CRS in my community 10g which prompted me to attempt a 2.5g nano in which to raise the shrimplettes. I'm a young married guy and very much on a budget so, like my 10g, this tank is VERY low tech. The tank is a 2.5g with tahitian moon sand for substrate. The light is a simple 36 watt desk lamp with a "low" and " high" setting. Three stones for an iwagumish look. The Only current fauna is a Marimo ball and some hornwort clippings from my 10g. I also squeezed the biobag from my 10g's filter into the new tetra whisper mini I'm running on this tank because I've read this aids in cycling more quickly. I'm really hoping to eventually have some nice mosses for the shrimp but i can't find any locally so if anyone has any extra on the cheap... any advice and comments are most welcome, as I am so new I would love some feedback. This community has been such a valuable resource to me. Below are some iPhone progression photos of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHQpy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	36338  

Name:	uVNUG.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	36339  

Name:	ZntRG.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	36340  

Name:	ztX6b.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	36341  

Name:	ZM7kA.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	36343  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 AM
SCAPEr

Mind telling me where you buy your 2.5G? I cant find it anywhere... only 10G the smallest tank.

cool marimo btw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks pretty good! I have a few shrimp tank projects up and coming... its like a spreading fever lol and you guys are not too sparing of any antedotes How many shrimp can you keep in a 2.5 g?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. The tank is actually a standard Petsmart topfin brand tank. I imagine petco, petsmart, or any larger pet chain would carry them. This really is an addicting hobby, I just setup my 10g just two months ago and I'm already onto tank two and thinking about three. My wife is probably going to Kill me. As far as a shrimp to gallon ration, I don't think one has been officially established but I know shrimp have a very low bioload. I'm a very new to this hobby so maybe one of the more seasoned shrimp keepers could comment. My ultimate goal is to have a colony of OEBTs but that's a long way down the road. Please keep the comments coming!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
low tech is the best way for shrimpers!

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. Low tech really does seem to be the way go with shrimp. After lurking and reading horror stories of mass deaths due to too much CO2 or ferts it was a no brainer for me. The ultimate goal of this tank is to provide a safe place to build a small stable colony of CRS. I hope to remove the hornwort and aquire some mosses as well as very small piece of driftwood and then, HOPEFULLY leave it alone. Any scaping suggestions or moss and wood recomendations are greatly appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode