The Planted Tank Forum banner

Reginald's 40b

Tags
40b
7K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  Reginald2 
#1 ·
This tank has been set up for about a month or so. It's cycled, but still has some "new tank" to it. So it's a little rough around the edges, I don't think I'm really going to touch it for a couple of months to let everything settle. This is also the first glass tank that I've had (other than my pico) since I was about ten or so.

It's a 40b 3*39 T5HO (but two are only on for a few minutes a day so most of the time it's just 1 bulb)

CO2 injected (no bubble counter and I really have no idea if I'm doing that part right).

Eco-complete with a bit o' dirt on the bottom layer.

Eheim 2217 for filtration.

The plants are not all in the right places due to some poorish planning on my part. A couple of the plants are collected, some bought here and some have been with me for many moons. There are a couple of species I've never tried before and I'm looking forward to seeing them grow.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sad news: After the appearance of staghorn, I fiddled with the CO2 (I don't have a bubble counter and really have no idea how much I was putting in) and gassed the fish.

I lost a fish and assumed that he jumped, but I'm guessing he became a little ammonia spike instead.:angel:

I then freaked out and adjusted the CO2, with no way to tell what my base level was, backed off in fear. Then had to try and blind dial a needle valve to an inline diffuser (real hard to look at that one and tell what's going on).

These pictures are from a couple of days before the incident.

Views from my chair:

#7 · (Edited)
I need an adult

So,

The tank has been plugging away for a few years now. actually I moved and had to move the tank which (went fairly smoothly). When I moved it had to move the filter to the opposite side and thus adjust the 'scape. Which brings us to today. My scape has disappeared.

The pinch of java moss has taken over the vast majority of the tank, enabled by the horrible duckweed screen that it has most of the time. The fissidens(sp?) has swallowed most of the super miniature hair grass (belem or maybe something that starts with an e or i). The miniature sword attempts to come out and completely overtake everything in the tank all the time. This is actually after removing most of it from the front.

Several other plants have been lost to the various overgrowths. Add to this the generations of guppies (boring I know, but baby fish are cool) and the cherry shrimp.

I don't know what to do. I don't think I can look at this tank objectively. I love it, but it doesn't look good. I need some hard truths and I would greatly value any opinions.

Left side:

Right side:

#10 ·
A couple of changes. I'm not a thousand percent sure of where I'm going with this. I saw the wood at the lfs at a good price. I decided I needed it. I really like it, but I'm not sure how to plant it just yet. I took out gobs of java moss, and sadish fissidens. Most of the tank was under a thick canopy of duckweed (not even once) and was without co2 for a long time due to life getting in the way.

I was sad to see my belem had been eaten by the fissidens, so I got a little more hairgrass, not of the small variety. it's still all emersed growth, we'll just have to see how it comes in. I got some crypto parva to see which one I end up liking more, and a little bit of wisteria, just to add another weed lol.

There are a couple of plant species in life support in there, and I've got some flow problems and my co2 isn't dialed in... basically, just keeping planted tanks. :)

#11 ·
Not many changes, but I tried to get some better pictures... I didn't do that great of a job.

I also added in a Hydor Koralia Nano 425 to address a dead spot in the front. The fissidens is just all over the tank. Right now I'm just trying to get the new plants established. The CO2 is looking good, but I'm thinking the lighting is not quite right. We'll see.

I really like that piece of wood, but I'm not too positive on the placement. I sort of think it needs to shift to the right a little. To be honest, the jungle on the right side hasn't been addressed. Hopefully the new increased flow will help spawn some ideas.

#12 ·
Not too much different. This is before the maintenance. The CO2 is just about right. I'm still in the process of trimming back the java moss mountain and trying to organize the fissidens more. It looks a lot better, but the java moss gets wound up in the fissidens.

The hairgrass is a lot bigger than the belem that was in there. I'm not too sure how I feel about it. It's still all the emersed growth from the LFS (they mostly do reefs and saltwater. I'm lucky there are any plants.). The belem might have a chance of coming back, there's just so little of it left. It sort of got ate by the fissidens. In my mind there would be a lot more belem with little fissiden bushes... the best laid plans...

The HM and the rotala are coming back. The rotala(-sp?) is kind of ragged now as I'm trying to get enough of it to plant a little section. I think it'll stay right where it is. The HM is responding well. I'm hoping for a little bush of it.

I'm not very good at taking pictures.

A couple of the little shrimpies:
These little guys make me wish the tank wasn't on the other side of the room.

#13 · (Edited)
Well, I tackled a little more of that moss on the right side. I also cut down that ragged rotala, topped it and replanted that. i'm happy to say that it has enough growth since last week to start peeking up from the substrate. I'm also happy to the the parva has grown (or I think it has, hard to tell).

The front is still a little bald, I probably need to do something about that. I don't think the parva would grow quick enough to be effective there. I really only noticed it as a big area in the picture below. From my chair it doesn't look so bad.

I've got pretty mixed emotions about the hair grass. It's a bit tall. I might hack some of the sword/val mess in the back and try it back there in the next couple of weeks. I like them hiding the filter pipes, but it gets a little beaten up right at the surface, and there's some bba spots that I have to prune anyway. Maybe I'll get both those birds with the same stone.

I had been really concerned about hacking down all the moss as the shrimped seemed so fond of it, but it looks like they've busied themselves elsewhere now. I was also a little worried that the shrimp wouldn't like the flow from the powerhead or that it would be too much for the fish, but they both seem to swim around in the current without issue. I think the fish really like it.

Other than that, the tank had been on autopilot for a long time, so aside from fighting moss (duckweed was the first battle). I'm going through and cleaning the filter every couple of weeks. I always get nervous about making a whole lot of changes at once, so I just pick a spot, or a plant, or a whatever and get to it, settle back and wait a week.

Also, my bulbs were about four years old, so I picked up a replacement for one of them and I'll keep an eye on the co2 for a bit to make sure it's up to snuff.

I think I'm going to get a little tank going again and I might look around and see if I can find some additional plants for this guy.

It's no work of art, but it's a lot better than it was and makes me happy. I sort of feel that the wood may need to come to the right a bit.

I think this has grown enough to top and plant.

I flipped this damn picture in windows and on photobucket and it's still wrong. Nevermind, I guess it was just cached wrong.

#14 ·
About two weeks ago I finally got around to doing something with the right side of the tank. I ripped up all the vals I could, quite a bit of some swordish plant that was over there as well and some more java moss. After such a big change, I haven't done too much with anything. I did clean the filter out really well a week ago, but nothing really this weekend.

I moved the dwarf hairgrass to the back, a good move if it's going to be six inches tall, not the best choice if it's going to be two or three inches. it was all emmersed when I got it, so I'm still not too sure. The CO2 is cranked, I'm actually dosing and running two t5ho's. I'm not really getting the growth I want. except the fissidens, which along with the java moss is quite invasive in this tank. I probably should have cut off the CO2 before taking the pictures. Does everyone else's tanks look like this? I'm debating a CO2 reactor. I'm not sure I like the fizzy look. I know that's a pretty bold statement after a couple of years lol. It's nice to see the flow, but it sort of makes everything look cloudy in person.

I am putting more CO2 and light into this tank than I have in the past. I've got a pretty good surface ripple and the inhabitants all seem happy enough. It's sort of a classic tank-without-a-plan. I feel like I only see a plant I want once in a blue moon, so when I do I grab it before it melts at a store tank and stick it somewhere. In other news, I've got a couple of nano tanks and I'm thinking of setting them up again. Maybe I can plan those a little more and shop out of this one. I need to use some fissidens in one of them. It's a plant that I always wanted, so I don't think I could part with it entirely.

Any suggestions welcomed

You can barely make out the belem that actually looks like it's doing ok with some crypto parva to the left

I believe this is supposed to be Staurogyne Repens, but it looks really leggy in my tank. This was topped from a plant that had reached the surface though, so maybe a trim, or maybe I need some more light or something.

The HM I haven't fixed yet. It's a happy little plant. I'm just not sure where to put it yet.

and this little oddly colored shrimp

#15 ·
I snapped a couple of shots after the CO2 went off. It looks a lot nicer without the bubbles. I'm thinking I might look into a reactor. I saw one on ebay that looks ok. Clear PVC doesn't seem to exist in my town, or at least I don't know where to look for it.

I lost a shrimp and a fish. I'm not sure if it's CO2 related, or not. I'm a bit paranoid about CO2 sometimes. I also did a pretty hard core cleaning of the filter about two weeks ago, but I never noticed any cloudiness or anything and threw in a couple of extra water changes just for the heck of it. I'm always worried about any big changes though. I know the fish can harass each other and I know they bother the shrimp sometimes too. Not too sure of what happened. I did a couple of huge water changes just in case.

THe CO2 has been off for about 12 hours now and I notice my drop checker isn't blue. It is right after a water change though, so maybe it's just the water level being so high. I have two t5's and plenty of CO2, but not a lot of really fast growers, so I may dial it back a bit.

I'm sort of half considering building a new stand for this tank. It's a bit past my diy skills, but it's awfully painful bumping around under this thing. The stand it's on looks ok, but it's got a tiny door and my inner gear head is always looking for more tank toys. I've also noticed the mdf seems to be separating a bit on a couple of the corners, I don't know if it's something to worry about or not the stand is probably about six or seven years old at this point and just one of those cheap ones.

The view down the side looks pretty dramatic.

I really need to do something about that HM, I want to set up a nano to use some of that moss, but I've still got a few things to pick up for it. Mostly rocks. I don't know what I'm going to do about that yet.

#16 ·
A little necro post because that's kind of fun. :)

This little fella is still up and kicking.

I've thought about rescaping or tearing it down numerous times, but with all the guppies and shrimp I'd feel bad.

It's basically an overgrown, algae-covered swamp; but I guess it's home to a small mess of critters and still makes me happy staring at it across from the living room.

#17 ·
Almost ten years into this tank.

I decided I'd go in for a bit of a haircut and have given this guy quite a few trimmings over the last little while. It's still up and quite stable. I always try to change just a little bit at once, but any tests I've done show zero of the bad stuff. I also have realized that it just won't have nitrate if I don't dose it, so I've tried to get a bit better about that. This tank keeps chugging though and there's constantly new little fish and shrimps, so I guess some things are going ok. I've tried to yank as much duckweed as I can out of it. I think I'll have to wage a further assault on the HM that's growing out of the top to get it all. I may do that a bit more over the holiday. My goodness though, that stuff is prolific.

The guppies are generations old, by this time. Half of them from the local Pet store, and have from an online retailer. The shrimp, likewise are half from ebay and half from the local fish store and some from an online retailer. (I put in a quite small, but expensive, order not too long ago when I realized nobody had any fish/shrimp locally and I was thinking it would be good to get a little genetic diversity in there).

I did pick up one of the fancy led lights that gives you a sunrise and sunset. It seems like a little thing, but I've gotten a real kick out of it. Due to my own laziness I now have 3 5lbs CO2 tanks, and I realized that I'm having a little trouble figuring out which one is full and which one is empty. If anyone knows how to tell, I'd be grateful. I finally had to replace my inline CO2 diffuser after about six years or so, it just didn't want to do anymore despite the many bleachings.

Now that I think about it, I think the only equipment still in place is the glass, the substrate (dirted), & the filter. Everything else has been slowly upgraded over time.

I think for my next tank, I might try something a little more scaped, this one has a pretty big place in my heart though.

Overall, I still love this little tank. I know it's nothing special, and I'm a terrible photographer, but I enjoy the view.

#24 ·
Almost ten years into this tank.

Due to my own laziness I now have 3 5lbs CO2 tanks, and I realized that I'm having a little trouble figuring out which one is full and which one is empty. If anyone knows how to tell, I'd be grateful.
Nice! Greetings from a fellow long hauler. Also love the look of the new lights. Or is it the hard trim? Anyway, the new look looks good!

Anyway, if it's not too late for this question. You take it outside, point the opening away from you, and away from anything that you don't want frozen, and (slowly! just to be safe!) open the valve! ha .. hah!

no. j/k. you can weigh it. My beer peddler weighs it on his handy bathroom scale that he just happens to have near his filling station to show me he's not ripping me off.

empty co2 tanks have a known weight. Think it's even marked on it if you look carefully enough
https://www.homebrewhappyhour.com/co2-stamps-mean/

But roughly:
~7lbs for aluminum. Full would put you +5 lbs to 12lbs total! Isn't that grand? who knew the 5lb size meant something :D
googling a steel one comes up at ~12lbs empty so look for ~17lbs full.

#20 ·
Well, if my goal was a little genetic diversity and companions for my guppies. I have achieved that goal. There are an alarming amount of guppies. I'm mostly alarmed as it seems they are eating the male guppy babies and leaving the female guppy babies. So now I have two male guppies and I have no idea how many female guppies. I may have made a miscalculation there. My napkin math indicates that I may need to get a pool or something. I probably should not have done this, but my guppies have friends now... and their friends have friends and their friends as well. I should cut back on the feeding I guess, and let them sort it out on their own. The trouble is that I like feeding the fish. They get all happy and it helps me to have little happy fish. I love seeing all the little baby guppies in there hanging out and learning how to be big fish like their parents.

I've been feeding this bacter ae stuff for the shrimp, but everyone seems to like it. I'm not sure if it's a gimmick or not, it sounds a bit like hogwash, but I like buying new fish foods and feeding the fish. Also: why are all the fish foods in such disproportional large container sizes? I don't really feel like I need 35 years worth of fish food. Honest to god, I don't know that I've finished a whole can/pouch/tub of fish food ever... well, maybe algae wafers.Also, If anyone has any fish food suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

It looks like some of the shrimp I got may have been the natural color variant as now I have a bunch of brown, black, and clear shrimps along with my red shrimps. I'm slightly miffed, due to the cost, but... I like them too lol and they're in there making baby shrimps and living busy shrimp lives doing whatever-it-is-they're-doing-so-busily. Some of the brown ones are real pretty too, like neat little patterns and designs, harder to find in the tank, but that might be a good thing if you were a shrimp I guess.

I recently took to performing a much needed, and long overdue, cleaning of the filter and it's associated pipes and tubing. In doing so, I not only made my once silent filter noisy but I also caused a little ammonia spike and some fresh diatoms and a burst of bba. NEAT! So, some furious (read: angry) pruning and fussing and excelling, and water changes things have changed up a bit. Full disclosure: I sort of love changing water. It's something that I used to do as "me time" when I was working and married and still in school and it's still one of my favorite chores.

The absolute mass of rotala indica has been removed (mostly, my collectoritis is real)

Also, my duckweed is back even though I got rid of every single piece of it (collectoritis does not apply to duckweed).

I yanked a bunch of vallisneria out. I aim to remove more. I've gotten rid of that plant entirely a few times too.

The right side is now crowded with Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus (the right side must always be crowded). I like it, it's not as baby shrimp/fish hidey as the rotala was, but I have too many guppies.

I also got some Cryptocoryne Tropica, and a banana plant, because I have a problem.

Oh and some monte carlo, because I wanted to see if I'd like that in the little tank I was just about to set up: a good reason and not indicative of my aforementioned problem.

The Hemianthus micranthemoides (I think) is all over the little stump that reaches the surface. It is a big jungle-ie mess that shades half the tank and needs to be cleaned out, so I can continue hunting duck weed, but it's filled with shrimplets and guppylets and sort of makes me happy even though it's a bit unsightly.

As always: overgrown and algae covered:

#21 ·
I bred Endlers, essentially guppies, a few years back. I had to stop. I was separating them by sex every single week and still the population was exploding. Of course the tank crashed and I lost most of them. The few I saved I traded for store credit at my LFS. I still miss them and am thinking of getting a group of just males.

#23 ·
So, I really love my little fennix 24/7 that I've had about two and a half years. BUT, I really wanted to be able to dial it back a bit and raise it off the tank and keep the 24/7 schedule. I really enjoy the low light mornings and eveningsk and being able to see in there and watch fish and feed fish kind of whenever i'm in here and awake. The light was a hair blinding sitting right on the side of the tank though, I knew if I moved it up I'd always have those little spots all over my eyes and have to permanently squint at the tv. So I picked up some expensive lights that I don't really need. I got a pair of Prime AI Freshwater pendant type lights and a couple of arms to hang them. I am fairly positive that I've got the light intensity dialed back enough. I like the spread a lot more and being able to mess around with the colors is honestly pretty fun. These guys have a green led that is sort of gorgeous on the plants, and a red led that really makes the fish and shrimp pop. plus it's quite a bit more shimmery than the last light.

A real pleasant surprise is that they do not blind me while I'm sitting on the couch. I was generally pretty worried about that. The diodes are recessed enough and the lens is crafted that it's actually a lot nicer than the finnex, just from the sitting on the couch factor. There is a LOT of light spill around the room though and if I go feed the fish during the high intensity full burn the reflection will suck the retinas right out of your body.

It's still early days, so I'm trying to figure the colors a little and experimenting with the low light settings during the morning and evening. Basically just trying for an algae outbreak lol. I've been pretty conservative though, and have tried to leave the basic full intensity period static to see kind of where everything is at after a month or so. I figure it'll take about that long to figure out how stuff is growing. It's currently floating around 13 watts/~30% intensity about ten inches off the surface. I'm not seeing the riccia boil, which I'm pretty accustomed to, but I figure less is more right now. As an odd aside: I didn't realize how much I had always used the light as a shelf. So, I'm still working through where to put all my necessities.

After trimming back the rotala the other day, I found some dwarf sagittaria. I'd sort of forgotten that little guy. It has been like one sprig in there for long enough that I don't exactly remember anymore. He seems to appreciate getting out from under the rotala bush and is sort of spreading out. There's some Micranthium tweediei out in the front that has a bunch of melty parts and a some really happy parts, I need to get in there and trim accordingly to see if i can get it to hang around.

My driftwood pokes up just a hair above the water and tends to catch floaters or stems that drift around the tank. Sometimes it's all Riccia fluitans, sometimes it's all duckweed, sometimes it's all java moss, it used to be all "fissidians" that I found in the yard. it's now a plant that was sold to me as Hemianthus micranthemoides... I wonder if it's not Micranthemum Umbrosum though. It needs a haircut pretty badly right now, but I absolutly love how it looks and the new light lets a lot more past it. The little driftwood "treetop" has always been hidden under the fixture, but I'm delighted to see all the little shrimp that apparently call it home.

I need to get in there this afternoon and do a bit more trimming of the here and there variety, but it's cold outside and my house is cold and the tank is cold and it makes my arm cold.

I wish I could take a better picture lol

This is just here to help me remember

I've been really enjoying bebopping around and checking out other people's journals. This place used to be kind of jumping, almost hard to keep track of everyone's posts and it is kind of deadish now, but it's still cool to watch people's tanks over the years and hear their thoughts and see their directions. There's a level of deep-nerd here that you don't really get just anywhere else that I know of.

#26 ·
I've declared war on duckweed.

Now, I don't have any specific problem with duckweed. It's saved me many a time by turning down the lights during tank neglect/vacations. However, I think I'd like a nicer looking floater. Maybe some of those red root floaters I've seen here and there, or some frogbit or something. I just didn't love the duckweed and I sort of doubt that I've eliminated it, but I got all I could see, and have taken to hovering over the tank with a teaspoon in effort to round up the last few bits. Though the picture below reveals I need to do some more cleaning of the tank rim. I plan to continue hunting straglers for a few more weeks before I get another floater. I kind of want something with bit 'ole roots, that's a little bit easier to control (bigger). I generally had to siphon the duckweed, whereas I'm hoping with something bigger I can just scoop it out. Plus I like dipping an arm if to perform the occasional duty without it coming back with green sprinkles. A casualty of my war was the HM treetop, it will be missed and we all look forward to what sticks to the driftwood next. I'm actually pretty curious about this as my wood is old enough to be kind of rotting now and has a bunch of roots attached. I'm not sure if they're enough to take hold and resurrect their former plants, but I'm sort of looking forward to finding out.

Is bba a carpet plant? I seem to have a lot of luck with it. I did pick up a handful of amanos and am curious to see what effect they have on the tank.

This is my main view of the tank. I love looking down the side of this thing. It looks better when the CO2 isn't on. Also, that powerhead is a bit of an eyesore now that I look at it a bit more objectively. It probably should live top right. i should probably split up that anubias.

In pretty unrelated news, I've been watching a lot of aquarium co-op stuff on youtube (podcasts help me sleep) and decided to pick up an airpump/airstone and have been running it at night. I hadn't really had one since I was like ten. My findings thus far:

They are a lot quieter than they were. I honestly hear the bubbles popping more than the pump.
I do sort of like the effect, it's kind of cool looking, but with just a small cheapo airstone, you can't really see it too well. I should perhaps invest in another bubbling treasure chest, like I had when I was young, or maybe one of those tubes that can stretch along a side of the tank.
The increased rate of evaporation is astounding. I've had this thing for like three days and, maybe I didn't fill it like I usually do, but I swear it's down a few gallons.
At full bore it is quite messy and flings little drops all over.
It has no/little effect on ph. This tank is slightly more acidic than my tap water. I've been sort of interested since my other tank has amazonia in it, I've been sort of comparing and contrasting. It's all pretty abstract to me as I have no understanding of basic chemistry...
MLGW reports my tap at 7.2, 24 hours later it goes a bit higher to completely blue on the ph test kit. I think that's 7.4. This tank sits at 6.8 or 7.0 typically.
After I took all the time to type this out, I tested for accuracy and this morning it measured at 7.2. I kind of wonder if this is straight evaporation. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
I now feel like all the co2 is and has been coming out of solution when I'm not actively pumping it in. I don't think the airstone has any real benefit in this particular manner.

#30 ·
So, no real ill effects from not having power for like twelve hours and then not having fresh water. The thank is doing fine. I'm not sure how lol.

A couple of extremely low light shots w/ google's night mode It's genuinely a bit hard to describe how dark the tank is right now. It's like less light than a night light. Just a couple of shots for posterity. You can sort of see the time exposure through the blurriness. I changed the water a few hours ago and the filter didn't come back on the first couple of times that I powered it back on. I think that might mean new filter time. I hate that. It's been getting a bit weird the last few times I've turned it back on, but this is the first time I've seen it do nothing. I'm not too sure of what to make of that, or what sort of other filter to buy. My intake isn't available anymore and I'm not sure how I'd replace my output. DAD GUM.

random note: at least one male guppy reached maturity He's blue, but not too pretty lol.

#32 ·
Well, my war on duckweed was a success. It's been months since the weed showed it's... tendrels... or it's completeness rather.

Emboldened by my victory, I began to wage war on another enemy: BBA. I see now, that drunk on my previous victory, my hubris was indeed my downfall. My bloodthirst sent me straight to amazon to equip a lethal weapon of mass BBA destruction: seachem's Excel. Now I can't be sure that was the only tactical error, but I created a shrimpicide. I've still got a few in there, but it's by no means the teaming bustling action packed shrimp paradise that it once was. I think there were simply too many in there to blame the fish and there weren't any real changes other than that.

I got a bit target fixated, and I don't think I realized my mistake until I'd made it a couple of times. Excel is cool, but kind of scary. Joking aside, I'm a bit bummed out.

The little guppies are doing good though, still breeding like crazy, and I guess a few of the tiny ones didn't turn out to be girls after all. As they're all mixed mutt guppies there's some cool coloration (and as I didn't start out with a million of them, you can sort of see who had a part in the deed lol).

I've turned the lights a bit lower, upped the co2 and I'll wait to see if I need to expend the war chest for shrimp reinforcements or let time take care of it.

I'm real happy with the monte carlo up front. I've always had problems growing anything in that little section of the tank. I had to rip out a bunch of dwarf sag as it grew super tall and attempted a coup. I'm also kind of hoping to propagate that banana plant. I feel like I read once that the surface leaves will produce another little banana bunch, but I've never gotten to see it myself.

These are a few days after a pretty rough hack job:

#33 ·
Well, it's been another hot minute. Hot now, but my city had some frozen rain a few months ago and this tank went without power for 6 days. My house got down to mid forties, but generally stayed in the fifties. I changed about half the water, through the filter, about once a day after day two.

I lost about half my fish and probably some shrimp, but couldn't ever figure out how many.

Once the power came back on the tank consistently showed zero ammonia for about a week or so.

I built the tank with deep substrate and I'm guessing that helped, but who knows. Either way I'm happy the tank as a whole survived.

All that monte carlo came up in a big mat and now a bunch of it (I think) lives on the little bit of driftwood that sticks out. I had some little brown Cryptocoryne Lutea that has gone on kind of beast mode kind of suddenly and gotten like five times larger than I thought it did and spreading itself around. I just took a huge plant out of the front a month or so ago. I really like that little fella though and am kind of looking to get something similar. I threw some of it over on the right side, just to see what happens. I also wouldn't mind something other than the mass of moss on the wood. I'm not real sure what that would be though. I'd want something a little rhizome-y and quicker growing than my animus.

I've got a bit of cryptocoryne parva that I'd love to see take off, but it hasn't shown too much interest in growing, but it's been it a bit of a shady place. I moved some to the front to see if it likes that better.

I still need to pull up some more from the right side, but I just gave it a big clean and vacuum (well, I tuned the powerhead all the way up and changed a bunch of soup water a couple of times). I'm not too afraid of mulm, but I felt like it'd been piling up in a couple of places. I need to get in there and get the filter, but I'll probably wait a week or so, because I don't like changing too much at once.

Still some bba, still no direction or theme, just a little jungle. I still pluck random plants in random places just to watch them grow a bit in a new place. It's kind of fun to see the different jungles it's been over the last little while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.