55G sausage journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55G sausage journal

I took the plunge into a planted tank a while ago but I am trying to get picture perfect so it's time for a journal. The tank was set on 2/20/2005.
55 Gallon
Substrate: 3-4" 100% EC w/ laterite.
Lighting: DIY hood with 3 40W 2xODNO bulbs.
Filtration: Fluval 304 w/ ceramic rings, peat and bio-media.
CO2: 5lb tank with JBJ regulator setup (off at night)
Flora: Dwarf sags, Glosso, Hairgrass, Corkscrew Vals, Java Fern, Java moss, Amazon Sword, Ludwigia, Anacharis, Anubias nana, Hygrophila Corymbosa.
Fauna: Common 5 Tiger Barbs, 3 Green Tiger Barbs, 12 Pristela Tetra, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Bosemani Rinbows, 7 SAEs.
Ferts untill today: Kent products causing green and brown algae bloom within the past 4 days.
Ferts starting today: PMDD Pre-mix.
Tank 4 days after initial setup:

Right now nothing has really changed except the algae bloom. The plant's seem to be doing ok; every plant seems to be growing fairly fast except for Java fern and anubias.

Update 3/9/05: After yesterdays death spell the fish counts have diminished somewhat (updated) and I have taken measures to prevent O2 depletion at night.

Update 3/10/05: Added hygro c. to the tank. The plants seem to be growing fairly good except the algae is steadily growing on older leaves of plants and the glass. I also installed a timer operated airston bar to help the fishies breathe at night. I am planning on upgrading the lighting one notch by ODNOing one bulb to 4x.

Raf

Last edited by 75sausage; 03-10-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Add some fast growers, that will help you get the algae under control. Ones that take neutriants out of the water collumn, Wysteria, Hygro, ancharis, etc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I am trying to aquire some hygro from one of the forum member who lives in my area.

Raf

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

plecko vs. Eco-complete

I let my 3" plecko into the tank last night. 24 hours later....

I had to replant the whole tank!
Thank goodness he didn't reach the laterite at the bottom.

Raf
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

..so I replaced my common plecko with a small fancy one (Emerald) and all was well for about 5 days...
This morning I woke up finding all my fish gasping for air at the surface, plecko dead along with one tiger barb and one SAE. Another snag in the road and something to troubleshoot.
In other mods I installed a black background in my tank. Hygro is on order and should be here today.

Raf
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Your tank is brand new and I think is still cycling if it was set up on the 20th of February. If you didn't "seed" the tank with mulm from an established tank (or filter material from an established tank) then you are *definitely* cycling!

And you don't have enough plants in there to avoid big spikes of Ammonia or Nitrites in your cycle.

That is why your fish are dying!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sausage
..so I replaced my common plecko with a small fancy one (Emerald) and all was well for about 5 days...
This morning I woke up finding all my fish gasping for air at the surface, plecko dead along with one tiger barb and one SAE. Another snag in the road and something to troubleshoot.
In other mods I installed a black background in my tank. Hygro is on order and should be here today.

If the fish are still gasping at the surface, get an air pump. (Unless you prefer to cater to the plants rather than the fish.....) It helps cure nitrite poisoning, and you only have to use it temporarily.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice start

You may want to add more plants to out compete algae. With your light and ferts.

Put enough plants for your general scape then add more. These extra ones I call my throw aways. (anacharis, hygro, etc.). I'm not saying you can't use these in the tank permanently. Depends on what you want.

It seems I always find myself changing the setup, so I'm always at the LFS getting some anacharis or hornwort both of which can grow a inch a day in my tank.

They use up the ferts to fill the gap if I remove some major plantings. Not only remove but major trimming and replanting.

Now you can lower your 10:1 ratio as well.

This works well for me. If you already know this well sorry
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I believe that the fish loss was 100% due to O2 depletion. I say this because that morning ALL of my fish were swimming at the surface and the bubbles they produced (almost foamy looking) wouldn't even burst due to surface scum. The tank should be cycled because I used a bio media filled tank filter which was in operation for over a year before this setup.
I have some Anacharis in there now.

Raf
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:57 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I liked the wood laying down better
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

funny you should say this, I am acctually planning on replacing it with something from the river which will not float without 10lb of weights.

Raf

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode