I took the plunge into a planted tank a while ago but I am trying to get picture perfect so it's time for a journal. The tank was set on 2/20/2005.
Substrate: 3-4" 100% EC w/ laterite.
Lighting: DIY hood with 3 40W 2xODNO bulbs.
Filtration: Fluval 304 w/ ceramic rings, peat and bio-media.
CO2: 5lb tank with JBJ regulator setup (off at night)
Flora: Dwarf sags, Glosso, Hairgrass, Corkscrew Vals, Java Fern, Java moss, Amazon Sword, Ludwigia, Anacharis, Anubias nana, Hygrophila Corymbosa.
Fauna: Common 5 Tiger Barbs, 3 Green Tiger Barbs, 12 Pristela Tetra, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Bosemani Rinbows, 7 SAEs.
Ferts untill today: Kent products causing green and brown algae bloom within the past 4 days.
Ferts starting today: PMDD Pre-mix.
Tank 4 days after initial setup:
Right now nothing has really changed except the algae bloom. The plant's seem to be doing ok; every plant seems to be growing fairly fast except for Java fern and anubias.
Update 3/9/05: After yesterdays death spell the fish counts have diminished somewhat (updated) and I have taken measures to prevent O2 depletion at night.
Update 3/10/05: Added hygro c. to the tank. The plants seem to be growing fairly good except the algae is steadily growing on older leaves of plants and the glass. I also installed a timer operated airston bar to help the fishies breathe at night. I am planning on upgrading the lighting one notch by ODNOing one bulb to 4x.