Grunge's 10gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Grunge's 10gal

Howdy Guys,
well this my ten gal.

Its been planted for bit over a week now.
Plants from right to left, baby tears (maybe), sunset hygro, star grass in front of that, H. Difformis, Ambulia, then H.Polysperma. At front we have glosso, anubias nana and lilaeopsis. In the far left corner i have some plants that wont remain there, they came in a mixed bunch and are Bacopa, L. Natans (maybe) ,more H. polysperma, and some other random plant.
Eventually im hoping the sunset hygro and wisteria fill in the gap between them, the baby tears spread a little better, the star grass should fill that lower right side. Then the right side, the H.polysperma (not the random bunch) will grow and be trimmed to complete a triangle formation from right to left.

So far alls going good. No algae as yet, but im starting to run into some deficiency's. My nitrate test im thinking is stuffed even tho its only a couple months old, as it doesnt seem to ever read over 5ppm, even tho ive bucket tested it at 10ppm. Ill go to the labs tomorrow and test it again. Might be having phosphate troubles as well as they are reading zero, will have to buy something to supplement that as well. will need a trim soon before the ambulia takes over, but that will come in time.

Sorry bout the bad pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking good there... is that glossostigma in the foreground? If so, can't wait to see that thing carpet, it'll look nice.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah its glosso, hopefully it will fill the foreground nicely. Wish i could take a better picture, but i can never get the whole tank in the pic without being ages away. Im going to read up on photography.

Thanx for the comment

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
The picture looks fine...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Looks good for only a week into the endevour! Looks like a bit of algae developing on the gravel, oops that could be your glosso cant really tell to much from the angled view. 90 watts is a lot of watts on a ten gallon tank. How is your lighting setup? Im interested in how youve got 90 watts above the tank.

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Definately not algae, all glosso.

My 90 watts CF is household type bulbs, not the spiral ones, but same concept. So due to thier design i lose a fair bit of light, so my 90W isnt anywhere near the amount of light i would be getting from 90W of proper Cf tubes.

The pciture looks too far away, its hard to see what the plants are, but i cant get nay closer without missing out half the tank.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I like the driftwood/nana thing you have going on in there. My 10 gallon tank seems just WAY too damn small to get a good setup. I think I just have to be a little more creative.
By the way, I think you are going to find that your sunset hygro is going to need to be pruned CONSTANTLY to keep it from crowding out the other plants and the glosso is gonna wanna fight with the hygro to see who can fill up the entire tank the fastest. If you keep everything nice and trimmed though, it is going to look great.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My 10 gallon tank seems just WAY too damn small to get a good setup
Dont worry, i had the same battle. My tank always seemed too crowded. This is prolly the best setup i have come with so far, still not great, but hopefully i can do something with it. Just keep trying different plants and arrangements., eventually somethings bound to work (im hoping)

Quote:
sunset hygro is going to need to be pruned CONSTANTLY
Yep im aware of this. That corner was previously filled with normal hygro. I pruned and pruned and pruned. Its not that hard tho in such a small tank. I quite like pruning, tho my technique isnt the greatest.

Quote:
glosso is gonna wanna fight with the hygro to see who can fill up the entire tank
People say their glosso grows like a weed, mine never does. It takes along time for it to fill in the foreground in my tanks. Im gonna trying upping CO2w and nitrates to see how that helps.

Thanx for the comments
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
This is a very nice start!!! The layout looks good. But the choice of plants should be reviewed. Many are fast growers and will fill a 10 gal. in just a few weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Many are fast growers and will fill a 10 gal. in just a few weeks.
Yeah i know, im going to be pruning constantly. But unfortunately we dont have a large plant selection here where i am, so i kinda have to deal with what i can get my hands on, which isnt much. I was lucky to be able to get a few plants other than vals and elodea!!!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:35 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The pruning is half the fun ! You are better off with too many fast growers then not enough in the beginning so dont let these guys scare ya ... LOL

Its a nice lookin tank you got goin...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode