BSS 10g Low-tech Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
BSS 10g Low-tech Tank

My 6 year old daughter stated she wanted a tank a while back...and I don't think it had anything to do with the fact that I told her the only thing she could bring home from the pet store was a fish .

Anyway, I had a 10g sitting around. I bought a bag of Ecco-complete, a small intank filter and some Flourish Excel, and reused a tank, hood and majorly old flourescent light from my former 29g (and, yes, it hang off both sides). She picked out another castle, along with two pairs of guppies, and off we went. Needless to say, we soon had 50-100 guppies, which have since been pared down to 6-8 males (plus, I think, one female that I didn't spot at the time). We have also since added a golden dojo loach, a betta and one oto.

I typically change 50% water and clean the filter once every 4-5 weeks . At that time, I dose up the ferts, add some Excel, and aside from daily feedings, I pretty much ignore the tank.

While I was using a razor to scrape out the green spot last weekend and hacking down the L. repens jungle (the one plant that still really thrives), I decided the tank didn't really look that bad. And, I had seen a 27w CF desk lamp at Costco, so I even rewarded the tank with a slight upgrade.

So, what the heck. Folks like pictures!!

Oh, and the nicely colored Ozelot sword just got transplanted from my high-tech 46g, so I don't expect the colors to stay so bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whole.tank.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	936  

Name:	guppies.castle.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	937  

Name:	beta.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	938  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 05:38 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love stuff like this.

Some of the people on this board have such perfect tanks it drives me crazy. This one is more my speed right here,
low light set it and forget it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
This is, IMO, a very cool tank given the age for who it is for. The castles hidden by plants gives the observer something to Ponder and Dream about!!!

As for the lighting, you would want to have at least 2wpg (watts per gallon). Since you have a 10 gal. tank you would need 10 gal X 2= 20watts of lighting. with this amount of light you will be able to grow many of the low light plants with very little trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thanks for the compliments. With the new 27w CF, I'm actually at 2.7 wpg. But, since it is a small tank, the WPG rule sorta breaks down from what I've read. The spread of the light is pretty poor, with very dark sides. But seeings how the previous bulb might have been 5+ years old , I'll give the new light a few weeks to see how it works out.

As I have trouble finding sufficient time to keep my 46g in order, I don't want to get too fancy with this tank. But, considering my lack of effort on the tank thus far, it ain't bad!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode