20g High Tank Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
20g High Tank Journal

Alright, I just re-setup my 20g high tank today. I haven't put in my substrate yet becuase I am still thinking about getting a bag of eco-complete. It's currently cycling will soon to be with 5 neon tetras, 1 oto, and 1 corydoras. So far I have java moss, and java fern plants in the tank attached to the wood. 1x 55 watt 6500K/day, DIY C02, Flourish Excel, Flourish.

Edit: Any tips on how to not let the equipment show?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tall plants would help, though with what you've got (if you skip the neons) you don't really even need the heater. All of those fish and plants will do just fine at room temp. Can you zip tie or rubber band that CO2 hose to the filter intake tube (90 degree connector might help)? For that matter, you may not even NEED CO2 in this tank yet, but I recommend heavily planting it ASAP to prevent an algae bloom in your 2.5W/Gal of light. If you add lots more plants the CO2 might be utilized more. In the interim, watch the pH closely as it's likely going to plunge for lack up plant uptake of CO2. Good luck! I hope these thoughts are helpful.

PS - I'd get the substrate in BEFORE the fish. No sense in stressing them out unnecessarily, especially neons, which can be fragile until fully acclimated to a new home.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I actually had the tank setup a while ago and took it down and re-start it up again. 2 neons, and 1 otocinclus had died already.

I was going to get flourite, but I guess i'll stick with my shultz aquatic profile soil. The heater I need, the tank is in my basement and it gets kind of chilly. I was thinking about getting a Ehiem canister filter, but man they are quite expensive. For this journal I will not be going with any background plants with the exception of java fern. The base will be carpeted with dwarf hair grass all away around the whole bottom floor of the tank. I will then have a center piece driftwood in the middle with java fern attaching to them. Maybe the driftwood could cover the filter intake (it's a tetra whisper 60). For my stockings, I plan on getting a few more neon tetras, a pair of silver or gold angels and 2 siamensis. I recall that siamensis do get pretty huge, so I will most likely return them once they get big, they are just my helpers for algae problems.

When I order my plants, I will be getting a few water lettuce to extract the nutrients that algae feeds on to prevent algae problems. I will be adding in my substrate sometime next week, or during spring break when i'm free from school.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In your tank, i would skip the angels, especially with the Neons. It is a bit small for Angels anyway, and with the neons having nowhere (not in terms of hiding space, but in terms of tank space) to go... CHomp CHomp

I reccomend getting at least 15 neons in total, and maybe a Pair of Rams instead of Angels.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think the angels will ignore the neons, they have better food to eat (live foods, yes!). The angels that I will be getting are not full grown, but yes once they do sure I will exchange them. But I also think a pair of angels in a 20g high will be fine.

Rams, I used to have a pair of bolivian rams but I exchanged them in for store credit. Rams are too skittish for me, and they are more sensitive to water conditions than angels.

Although I think your advice is abesolutely great!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Errm, throw in a piece of slate and a pair of angels and youve got a nice breeding setup.

Next time get the substrate before filling up a tank it seems to be much more logical as well as easy.

And keep your mind set on this one, no new crazy ideas which involve tearing down a hardly established tank alright .

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthC
Next time get the substrate before filling up a tank it seems to be much more logical as well as easy.
I always fill up my tanks before adding substrate, just for some reasons...

Edit: Aquariums aren't fun if you aren't happy with the design
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update Pictures

Here are some updated pictures.

http://www.thatsmytank.com/gallery/t...ls.php?album=1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Updates for today:

- Added about 1-2" worth of substrate, still have tons left.
- Will be getting all the hairgrass from m.lemay by next week (can't wait!, thanks m.lemay!)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Got my hairgrass!

Well I recieved my hairgrass today, haven't take a look at it yet since I just got home from football training but I will after I take a quick shower. m.lemay thanks for shipping me them, it was a great deal!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well this tank was setup February 21st, 2005 and now has been planted with dwarf hairgrass. The tank currently contains, 3 Neon Tetras, 1 Otocinclus, and 1 Corydoras Trillinaetus. Here are the equipment that I use:

Filtration: Tetra Whisper 60
Lighting: JBJ Lighting 1x 55watt 10,000K
Substrate: Shultz Aquatic Soil
Heater: 100watt Submersible (Unknown Brand)

Here is a link to my photo album with the pictures inside.

Link: http://www.thatsmytank.com/gallery/t...ls.php?album=1

I plan on adding a few more neon tetras, a pair of angels and 2 siamensis. But I will be trimming some of the hairgrass so that it is about 2-3 inches high from the substrate.

Enjoy!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode