Looking for feedback on a piece for AP Art project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looking for feedback on a piece for AP Art project

It's been a tough year in art class for me. Normally I'd get feedback from my peers, but . . . well it's tough when I'm in a media none of them have experience with. My teacher was shocked when I told him I wanted aquarium fish and planted aquaria as the concentration for my AP art project. So, I thought I'd get some feedback on something I'm trying out. An art student has to try a lot of things, and sometimes imitate great artists. Using my a bit of photoshop know-how and some photographs of my 1ft tank, I did a piece similar to the story/picture combinations I loved from Takashi's first volume.

The picture is small, and I'm sorry you guys cannot read the text, but I want to make sure no one can steal my work, if you understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think that's an excellent idea! You've got a great teacher if he/she's willing to allow this kind of experimentation. As far as feedback, I think the layout is great and the white text on the black background works very well.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for feedback

I'm no expert, but definitely feel that aquascaping is most certainly a challenging and beautiful art form. Anybody can stick some substrate, fish and a few plants in an aquarium, but to make it breathtaking and stimulating is a gift not everybody has. Your aquascape is gorgeous and the layout looks fantastic to me! I would think that any art teacher worth his/her salt would be able to appreciate your beautiful work for exactly what it is. And personally I would give extra points to someone thinking outside the artistic box. Good luck and keep us posted!

Kathy

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love it!

Though I'm not surprised it was met with strange reactions from your art teacher either! We were made to be creative. Why fight it?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

awome idea!!
you def. deserve an A for that.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Algae Grower

Love the layout, the colors and the pics. Great work. If you get anything below an A- the teacher is crazy.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 10:31 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
This looks great! Is the scoring rubric available? There will be specific things they will be looking for and your project will be judged on whether or not they are present.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well put cheryll. please look carefully at that rubric, it'd be a shame to have a lower grade based on not having a specific font or line-item.
good luck!

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Ah, my teacher loves my project-- and says that I have excellent quality work (I've also printed this out with a photo-printer). This is an AP course though, and whether or not my portfolio does well will be up to the AP art board. Scoring is on the typical scale of 1-6 of the AP tests. However, we are scored by the board based on the quality of our concentration pieces (aquarium ones for me), bredth pieces (show skill with variety), and quality pieces (which will be mailed in, while the others we just send slides).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it looks great! good luck.

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:21 PM

My Art AP portfolio was based on merely animea.. =] Ahaa... Came out of it with a 5 which i was proud of.. Keep it up.. It's beautiful and i love the layout.. Can i ask what all pieces you have done?? as we had to do.. picture, water color, latex, pencil, color pencil, ruboff (dont remember what its "Technical" name is. and a few other.. i think it was 10 pieces =[Been so long ago...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

It's like, concentration = 12 pieces, bredth = 12 pieces, and then we send 5 of them in as "quality"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM

Ahh =] That's how they started doing it after i left.. =[ Unfortunately i can't find any of my pieces only slides now.. errr i hate bad memory...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I only have few comments on the layout. I would presonally prefer the layout if the text was justified to fit the column rather than left justified. Also, I am a big fan of trying to integrate images into the background or something else. Trying to look at things slightly differently than item ON a field, more like items that INTERACT with a field.

And as I look at it again, I sort of feel the width of the left picture could be slightly wider to match the text above (also a fan of more grided layouts [to a certain extent anyways]). I guess the same could be said the right hand side of images also. Compositionally I think the photos are quite nice, it's just as they sit on the page seems a bit off to me.

My $.02.. take it for what it is worth.

- 2-T8 ODNO, AC300, HP CO2, Fluorite/Gravel

- 4-T8 ODNO, XP3, HP CO2, Fluorite
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Omoshiroizo . . . ! Very interesting! I like that last post Vinlo-- this isn't the last tank pics/photosho lay out piece I'm doing. I wanted this one to be just like the Nature Aquarium books, but I will definitely try out more of those ideas for my other ones-- especially the idea of incorportating the pics with the background.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode