Nolan's 40-gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Nolan's 40-gallon

I recently removed A LOT of algae from my neglected 40 gallon, and I'm off to a fresh start. The only plant that survived is Echinodorus bleheri. Next time, I'll ask about a medication being plant safe before buying. I planted some new plants: Hygrophila polysperma, H. difformis, Anubias nana, Ludwiga repens, and Bacopa caroliniana. I'm planning to grow an Echinodorus tenellus lawn in the front, but would like to have more plants in the back, and maybe relocate the bacopa. I want to try some corkscrew val. Anybody have suggestions about other plants for me? Where should I plant the val if I get some? Thanks.

Here's a picture of the tank:

Nolan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nolan W.; 11-05-2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Picture link changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks like your off to a great start. I noticed that you were thinking about some vals. I have found out two things about vals. 1. I think they look good and 2. I think they look good in other people's tanks, not mine. The problem is that vals grow like mad and shoot runners out everywhere. In one week mine will send runners out several feet and I have to carefully remove them from around all the other plants. I'm currently growing out some crypt balansae that I plan to replace all the vals with in order to keep the long grass look, but with out the upkeep. But those probable won't work real well in a breeder tank either, due to the height constraints.
good luck!

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 AM

I think a big Amazon Sword would look good, or one of those Corkscrew/curly Vals. You coul place it in back and slightly right.... looks good though!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmm... I've been thinking about a triangular layout since day one. Maybe I could move all the plants and petrified wood to the right side of the tank. OR I can take the petrified wood out and use a piece of driftwood instead, with Java moss and Java fern. I think the moss will make a nice hiding place for the swordtail fry. The Amazon sword in there looks like two small plants stuck together, like Siamese twins. I think I'll separate them. If I do the replanting, I'll have to buy a pair of long tweezers. Fingers are just too clumsy.

Uh oh, hair algae on the anubias. SAE's eat it, right?

Nolan

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

NWong8589:

Nice looking tank. If you want something like vals (or s. subuleta) that will not try and tank over the tank try Crypt sprialis or retro-sprialis. The can handle high light and spread slowly. You can also try narrow leaf chain sword. Make a nice compact foreground (my fish prevent glosso or hairgrass...) As to the sword. They get big. They will take over really big tanks and they love to feed through the roots so just beware.

Otherwise a great start!

Moved to Tucson.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nice looking tank you have there bud, i'd have a foreground plant some where possibly dwarf sagitaria or glossostigma depending on your lighting. It looks great and man you have a lot of swordtails there.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yes vals do tend to take over but that difformis will be massive in less than 3 weeks if you are dosing ferts heavy. I have both difformis and water sprite right now to act as sponges during my preliminary phase but I soon will have to choose one or the other; they grow too fast (and are IMO quite similar in appearance).
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just wanted to show everyone how fast hygro can grow, even without CO2:

The algae is finally letting up. Must be the hygro sucking up every nutrient in the tank.

Nolan

Last edited by Nolan W.; 11-05-2007 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Picture link changed.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:27 AM

what the time between the 2 pics?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

NOW it's starting to look like true swordtail habitat. Keep it growing!

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Wow -- looks great. What varieties of swordtails do you have in there? I love swordtails, so I'm excited to see your tankful! Looking forward to seeing the bigger picture -- did dividing the sword plant work out for you?
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Just wanted to show everyone how fast hygro can grow, even without CO2:
I feel your pain. I throw a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff out about every 5-6 weeks. It seems to work very well in the composter though.

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Scotty, the pics were taken one month apart.

Uncskainch, I only have two varieties of swordtails in there: red and one that looks similar to the one in your avatar, except the tail is red. I would have more, but diseases have wiped out a lot of mine. Tuberculosis, fin & tail rot, you name it. I haven't divided the swordplant yet. I will do it when I finally get to redoing my aquascape.

Skylsdale, yes it is!

Hop, the two hygros I have in there are completely out of control. If I leave a leaf floating, it becomes a whole stem.

Lol, jart, you were right! I only dose Flourish twice a week, and look at the growth!

Nolan

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 03:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Someone pointed out to me that you can coax the difformis to act as a foreground plant by simply pinching off leaves that start to grow vertically. I'm trying that right now.

I have about 19 varieties of plants right now but I like the look of the difformis taking over one side of the tank. Motifone was doing that as well.

Are you dosing NO3?
Where is your L. repens?
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:36 AM

whats the sciantific name for hydro? i wanna order some from my LFS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode