10gal DP Planted Tank *new pics 2/24* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
10gal DP Planted Tank *new pics 2/24*

I will admit that I am a novice at this whole planted tank thing. 'Technically' this is my first planted tank. By that I mean this is the first time I actually went out knowing what plants I wanted and where they were to go. Even special ordered some online. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The tank itself is about a month old, and the fish have been moved from another tank and are between 3 and 10 months old. I dont use any fertilizers, but if any can be reccomended that are fairly easy to use, that would be most appreciated.

This is one of the better pictures of my whole setup. I have slowly but surely been acquiring plants/drift wood over time, and this is the culmination.

This is the left side of the tank. Theres also two puffers that I can find. Who needs Wheres Waldo? when you have Dwarf Puffers in a planted tank?

And here is the right side of the tank. The pleco commonly resides under that piece of driftwood.

Corkscrew Val, I believe.

I think the dwarf lilly is dead. Unfortunately thats a draw back of ordering cheap plants online. The rest of them (Crypt and Moss) I was very happy with though.

My girlfriend donated this piece of Java Fern to the cause when it started out growing its spot in her 'baby tank'.

When I ordered 2 portions of Java Moss, I never expected to get this much. I am trying to spread it behind the other piece of drift wood by the elodea. Eventually this could be breeding grounds for the puffers.

Another one of the plants I ordered online. Its starting to look better and spread out. I cant wait until it looks like the webpage.

My girlfriend works at PetsMart and she saw this come in and knew I was looking for some. Expensive, but it looks great in the tank.

So thats the plants in my Dwarf Puffer tank.

I also have two plants that I need help identifying. They are in with my frontosa.

This one has roots like crazy.

This one came in a three pack of drived bulbs. Said to float it and it would grow. I remember it was a hybrid of two things. Looks great in the tank though.

Thanks, and as always, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tekknoschtev; 02-25-2005 at 03:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Before anyone can comment on fertilizer we need to know the size, type and number of light bulbs, how long you plan to run it during the day, some idea of your water quality, either from your water company or hardness measurements you make and if you are planning to run with CO2. If your watts per gallon are less than 2 and you don't plan to use CO2, you probably should only consider some substrate fertilizer for your root feeders. If you don't have a CO2 set-up, read-up on them. This recipe is simple and runs at least 3 weeks. I use it for my 10-gallon tank.

Hardware:
2 liter gatoraide bottle with a vinyl tube poked through a hole in the cap.
An airline check valve on the CO2 line at the top of the tank.
Hagan ladder diffuser. You can buy the ladder without the little tank.

Yeastware:
1/4 tsp Red wine yeast to give slow, long, steady production.
1 tsp baking soda to help stabalize the pH.
1 tsp of soy flour for the little beasties to munch on.
1 cup of sugar (not 2 - don't waste your money).
A bit of dechlorinator.

Get a ph/kH chart, and both test kits. If you get 20 mg/l of CO2 and +2 watts/gal of light, start reading about fertilizer.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
If you plan on growing weeds underwater you will definitly need some ferts..
This is what you will need.

Plantex CSM+B 1lb. Price: $8.59
KN03 Potassium Nitrate 1lb. Price: $2.17
KH2P04 Mono Potassium Phosphate 1lb. Price: $3.42
K2S04 Potassium Sulfate 1lb. Price: $2.17

www.gregwatson.com

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Hi Tekk, I really enjoyed reading your little tank story. Pictures really help

The left driftwood is indeed a great piece. I am not sure about the right one, placement and all... looks like someone dropped it?

Keep adding things at a slow pace... like 88 said, adding CO2 can make a great difference, but plants like vallis and java moss and crypts can do without. I have had planted tanks for many years without knowing that you had to dump chemicals into them to make plants grow... weird, they still survived.

A 10 gallon tank is too small for a Pleco, Tiger Lotus, and probably the sword plant as well.

Regarding your plant quizz, the first one looks like Bacopa to me, the second is some sort of Aponogeton, like you mentioned, the kind that is being sold in little bulbs in WM. That reminds me, I want to buy one of them packs and plant some. They vary a lot, some just sending out little lilypads like yours, some growing an amazing amount of leaves, before going into hibernation or what.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think that the first one is moneywort....
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Hi Tekk, I really enjoyed reading your little tank story. Pictures really help

The left driftwood is indeed a great piece. I am not sure about the right one, placement and all... looks like someone dropped it?

Keep adding things at a slow pace... like 88 said, adding CO2 can make a great difference, but plants like vallis and java moss and crypts can do without. I have had planted tanks for many years without knowing that you had to dump chemicals into them to make plants grow... weird, they still survived.

A 10 gallon tank is too small for a Pleco, Tiger Lotus, and probably the sword plant as well.

Regarding your plant quizz, the first one looks like Bacopa to me, the second is some sort of Aponogeton, like you mentioned, the kind that is being sold in little bulbs in WM. That reminds me, I want to buy one of them packs and plant some. They vary a lot, some just sending out little lilypads like yours, some growing an amazing amount of leaves, before going into hibernation or what.
I know the pleco has got to go soon. Right now he's only abe 2" and he helped keep the BGA under control.

And in regardsto thedriftwood on the right, yeah, it kinda was just dropped there, after being boiled for 3 hours to get it to sink. My grandma was so excited that she could help me out. It was a souivineer piece from when she lived in Florida.

The amazon swords are only going in there to grow them out until they are large enough for my 6-7" frontosa.

I wish it was a quiz, hehe, i honestly have no clue what they are.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8wayg8r
Before anyone can comment on fertilizer we need to know the size, type and number of light bulbs, how long you plan to run it during the day, some idea of your water quality, either from your water company or hardness measurements you make and if you are planning to run with CO2. If your watts per gallon are less than 2 and you don't plan to use CO2, you probably should only consider some substrate fertilizer for your root feeders. If you don't have a CO2 set-up, read-up on them. This recipe is simple and runs at least 3 weeks. I use it for my 10-gallon tank.
Thanks. Sorry, I forgot the etiquite of this forum. I am more used to the fish forums where a lot of that isnt necessary.

The fert is a Tetra FloraPride liquid. My girlfriend had it, and knew I was getting into plants, and her fish would rather EAT her plants than let them grow.

Right now the tank has a stock 15W light bulb and I have looked into CO2 but have been told that it really shouldnt be used until more than 2-3W/g are reached. In 3 weeks, when I am home from college for a week, I am going to remake my strip light, because its in sad shape to begin with, and its going to be between 30 and 40W. I am not home, but I believe that the light is on anywhere from 14-16 hours per day. I plan on getting a timer to make things more consistent, but money is running low.

I do have test kits, but not all of the "right" ones for a planted tank. The Aquarium Pharmesuticals kit has pH, nitrIte, niteAte, and ammonia. What else do I need?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
pH: 8.2
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
If you plan on growing weeds underwater you will definitly need some ferts..
Am I growing weeds? I was under the impression that most of the plants I had would do well in low light, and so far everything is doing pretty well. Probably not as well as they could but still pretty good.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknoschtev
Am I growing weeds? I was under the impression that most of the plants I had would do well in low light, and so far everything is doing pretty well. Probably not as well as they could but still pretty good.
Haha, that was justa figure of speech, and as Wasserpest noted you can grow them without ferts, and they will "survive" but fert's just help them along that much better..

Thanks

Craig

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 06:04 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
The "weeds" thing is kind of a forum joke-- because we know weirdos like us planted aquarists are the only ones who would be interested in these types of aquatic plants. Actually a lot of the species we grow are considered pests/weeds for other reasons. :P
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger
The "weeds" thing is kind of a forum joke-- because we know weirdos like us planted aquarists are the only ones who would be interested in these types of aquatic plants. Actually a lot of the species we grow are considered pests/weeds for other reasons. :P
I've always wondered what constituted a weed. :-P
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good to hear you are going to get better lighting. Check out AH Supply if you haven't done so already.

Once your light is right you can start fertilizing with a DIY CO2 set-up. These are the minimum required test kits (in my opinion):
pH (any brand)
kH (any brand).

All others are optional
GH (any brand) It's nice to know the hardness of your water going in and after a week.

Nitrate. You may not find much agreement here. It's good to know how much you have but virturally every inexpensive kit is problematic and inaccurate according to many people with much knowledge on this subject. I would use the number as an index. Some folks adjust there fert dosing according to their measurement. For those that make standards and measure them so they have a good idea about how the dang things are working, thats good. My advice is to pick one and learn to love it. I got the holy grail of the cheapies, Red Sea, and it flat out didn't register anything. I can't afford to keep paying shipping and handling on the returns. I'll stay with the Tetra because the metal powder is kept separate from the reagents unlike the AP and the Red Sea. The shelf life should be much better. It gives a crude measurement but it's consistant and I don't have to worry about false negatives. All I care is that I have nitrate level at or around 10.

NH4 is nice to have but you will seldom use it once your tank is established and you get to know how much chlorimane your water company uses.

Phosphate. I've got a Red Sea kit and it seem to work and read accordingly with my dosing. You may eventually need this one so you can adjust you phosohate up to 0.5 to 1.0 mg/l.

All others: It's probably best to look at you plants for signs of deficiencies.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Planted Member

NICe! I love dwarf puffers. Any pics of the little guys?

Eheim Pimp Club member #113

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaoopa
NICe! I love dwarf puffers. Any pics of the little guys?

This is what happens when you feed live blood worms. The DPs overeat. :-[

The eldest. He likes to be skinny, but that was only until he realized that there was FOOD! He got himself a little pot belly after he reaized that the blood worms were food.

"Hey, dont laugh at me, I'm big boned!"

I think im gonna be sick.

STOP LOOKING AT ME!

Who needs 'Wheres Waldo?' when you have DPs in a planted tank?

"I'm ashamed of myself and my overeating"

ZOooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!

In all its glory...

Theres bloodworms in this here bowl.

The newly aquascaped tank with the new driftwood.

The answer is yes.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Haha, that second to last pic is great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode