e.lark 40g upgrade 58g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
e.lark 40g upgrade 58g

In the setup stage, still researching the best way to set this up while utilizing my remaining equipment from when this tank was a SW reef.

For lighting I have traded off my 250w ballast for a 175w. This trade included a 5500k bulb but I have not seen what the color will look like yet so Im not sure if this is the bulb I will use.

I bought a used fluval 304 for $20, this will be the main filtration.

I have two drilled bulkheads in the upper back corners to deal with that were used for overflow drains when this was a SW setup. I plan to reverse there function and make them now returns. I plan to use a closed loop with a co2 reactor inline then going to a mag 7 pump. From the pump I want to use a SCWD to switch current to the two bulkhead returns.

I will be ordering a inline heater installed on the fluval.

substrate eco complete with flourite mixed. I made a even trade this substrate for my old sw sandbed. looks like I still need 20lbs more.

Last edited by e.lark; 05-17-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I found some petrified wood at a lfs for $2/lb. I took most of it but plan on going back to pick up a couple more smaller pieces. I did a vinegar test and no fizzle.

Im looking to set this up with lots of groundcover, cant decide if I want a glosso carpet, dwarf hairgrass, or pygmy chainsword. Im sure there are lots of other options I have yet to find. riccia seems like a PITA.

Please comments and suggestions welcome.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
The substrate mix is a great idea. The two mixed together looks really good, props on the sweet looking substrate. Well it looks like your off to a great start. Keep us posted, this looks to be a real interesting tank.

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:32 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looks like an excellent start.

So it's going to be an "open field" type of tank with lots of carpet plants surrounding the petrified wood? It's a classic, simple, and effective scaping plan. Should look great!

Everything is about the rock arrangement in a tank like this-- pay lots of thought to it! Also, some variation in substrate height (mounds in back) will help to give this type of lay out depth. Rock placement can also help to support mounds. Glosso + hair grass sounds like a good combination.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
A lot of possibilites abound in your setup. Good luck! Make sure to plant lots of fast growers in there at first, in addition to your groundcover, to avert algae.

John P.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:15 AM

Since the substrate is all going to be devoted to carpet plants, perhaps for fast growers he should fill the whole thing with floating hornwort until things stabalize.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I would like to go for the open field and designate this to being a shrimp tank. possibly a school of rummy nose tetras. A hair grass and glosso tank looks great in some pics Ive seen but Ive seen it in others growing pretty tall. Im hoping having the MH will cause it to grow low and compact.

having no intentions of adding stem plants has been worrying me....so I should put some algea busters in there first or go with the hornwart?

Like I said I still need 20lb more of substrate and then I'll start forming some mounds.

thanks for the replies, so my filtration and closed loop plans sound alright?
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.lark
having no intentions of adding stem plants has been worrying me....so I should put some algea busters in there first or go with the hornwart?
This is a valid concern. Most 'carpet' plants take a few weeks to get rolling, and this creates a huge windows for a serious algae problem. To further complicate your plans, hairgrass is commonly grown emersed, and will undergoe a massive die off before the new growth gets established.

I'd buy a fast stem and keep on clipping and replanting for a couple months. By then, you'll get your water in check and the carpets should be rolling.

A 40 gal is an ideal tank for this type of setup .

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:21 AM

Still, it'd be great if he could give the hair grass and glosso time to settle in to their parts of the tank, by being planted all over at the start.

That's why I suggested the hornwort-- grows just as fast as hygrophila or any of the otherstem plants that are floated, but you can float it and it doesn't take up substrate space. Plus, it's a pretty thin leaved plant, so it can float over the glosso and hair grass with little ill effect in terms of shading.

water sprite can also be grown floating, but it'll shade more.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you float plants, don't let them shade the Glosso or Hairgrass.

John P.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
E. Lark, try visiting Plantella.com. Oliver Knott does some really interesting scapes with rocks and mounding, definetaly some great inspiration.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Nice setup!
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Nice start, I want to see some foliage!

Craig

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:46 AM

Nice start, The rock set up reminds me of superman's polar home.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The rock set up reminds me of superman's polar home

ernest

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode