Jen's 10g Journal "updated 2/7" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jen's 10g Journal "updated 2/7"

Well, I got the 10g out of the garage, it had a chip missing off the corner, and I didn't know it, and cut the crap out of my left pointing finger. That made me so mad I went and bought a new one for $9 at Wally World...so there. I plan to have 2-15w flourescents, pea gravel, sand/flourite substrate, a Whisper HOB, and moderate planting with 2 fish. If I do C02 it would be the Hagen system with the ladder.

I bought blue paint to paint the back. I am starting on it tonight. I was going to use cat litter for fun, and I bought Special Kitty as recommended and when I wet it, it literally turned to mushy grey soup with no substance at all, so I got the gravel instead. I'll post pics when I get it built.

Last edited by wetgreenthumb; 02-08-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Sounds like a decent start up. Keep us updated with plenty of pictures.

BTW have you been to Fintastic recently?

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
You could put a super thin layer of the Kitty Litter on the bottom to help with the CEC, followed by a sprinkling of peat moss to give the substrate a kick start.
Then again, if you're going with the Flourite, you won't need any more CEC than that.

Glad to see another blue-backgrounder!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthC
Sounds like a decent start up. Keep us updated with plenty of pictures.

BTW have you been to Fintastic recently?

Andrew
Yeah I was there this weekend acutally. Picked up a nice Val. There are opening a new store not far from my house. I can't wait!

I got the 10g setup last night, and instant cycled it with the filter I took off my 55g and some flourite/sand from it as well. It turned out sweet. The blue background worked perfectly, I sponged it on to give it some depth. I did maintenance on the big tank and I was able to get some small clippings in it. I am taking pics tonight.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
You could put a super thin layer of the Kitty Litter on the bottom to help with the CEC, followed by a sprinkling of peat moss to give the substrate a kick start.
Then again, if you're going with the Flourite, you won't need any more CEC than that.

Glad to see another blue-backgrounder!
I played around with this a little (kitty litter first) and it muddied the water a lot, so I gave up. I am still trying to get clear water in my big tank. I think it's the flourite. Even though I rinsed the daylights out of it. I want this tank to be sparkling because I set it up in my dining room. The flourite/pea gravel/sand mix looks good in front of that blue though!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
I havent been in Fintastic for a few weeks while they were having their huge discounts on tanks and everything. I heard all the tanks are pretty much gone, too bad, i had planned to get a few new tanks but just didnt find the time to get up there. Anyways when the new store opens I'll be sure to be there. I cant wait to see the spankin new store as well as new plants and fish .

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

First pics of the 10g. Will work on layout of gravel more when I add plants later this week. I put two of the Gouramis and a ghost shrimp from the big tank. They seem quite content.

Last edited by wetgreenthumb; 02-03-2005 at 01:24 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Ahhh, a new tank. I am jealous. Every time I see someone setting up a new tank, it makes me want to run out and do another one. hehe

So what kind of plants are you getting "later this week"?

- Sam P -
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahhh, a new tank. I am jealous. Every time I see someone setting up a new tank, it makes me want to run out and do another one. hehe

So what kind of plants are you getting "later this week"?
We only have so much space huh? LOL, Um, I am not sure exactly which plants I'm getting, because a board member was kind enough to send me some, and I don't know what they are yet. Depending on what they are, I will most likely be adding more low light plants to this one. Such as crypts, java fern, java moss, etc. I'll just have to wait and see. I'm still looking at pics online to get ideas for low/moderate light small tanks.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I completed the lighting for $13.00 (not counting incandescent hood). Two 14w mini PC flourescents from Home Depot for $4 each, and a timer for $4.00. So that's 28w total for 2.8wpg. Not bad for $12 bucks. Beats the heck out of 1 15w strip, or ordering a kit.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank VIP

The two 14w CF's should be pretty decent on that 10g. Hey, I'm going to be in Charlotte next week in training!

- Sam P -
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The two 14w CF's should be pretty decent on that 10g. Hey, I'm going to be in Charlotte next week in training!
Cool, what kind of training? I spent a few weeks where you live in training when I was still in the Air Force.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetgreenthumb
Cool, what kind of training? I spent a few weeks where you live in training when I was still in the Air Force.
Computational Fluid Dynamics. Should be a real brain-drain. Any exceptional fish stores worth visiting in Charlotte? (Sorry to steer your thread into a detour!)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Computational Fluid Dynamics. Should be a real brain-drain. Any exceptional fish stores worth visiting in Charlotte? (Sorry to steer your thread into a detour!)
Oh boy - Computational Fluid Dynamics...(just kidding)..same response I get when I say Object Relational Database Programming, hee hee. Detours are fine...so, um fish stores, yeah!. I would say go by Fintastic on South Blvd, their moving sale is supposed to end tomorrow but they may still have stuff marked down next week. I just called them and they said they're still in that location til March. Most of the rest are small or chain, but another one I go to is Pet Pro's at 485 and S. Tryon. It's small, but the fish are very healthy. Enjoy your visit.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Object Relational Database Programming
Quote:
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Ouch, I think I just blew a fuse in my head

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode