Newly Planted African Cichlid Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newly Planted African Cichlid Tank

Here it is. Low light with Java Fern, Moss, Anubias Barteri, Crypt. Wendtii, and Valis. Americana.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Those ferns look familiar ;-)

If you need any more let me know... I have more almost ready to split :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Aulonochromis,
great looking setup! I have a 55 gallon mbuna that i've always wanted to plant, but for obvious reasons haven't gotten around to trying it (except a few extra java ferns that are wilting away in the salty depths at the moment) what are your water params? my GH and KH are through the roof in that tank, and I fear it might be more than the plants could handle... i wish i still had the link to the recipe for malawi water composition, but I'm pretty much using that to the t(as far as K,Na,Ca,Mg are concerned)... do you mind sharing your pH, gh kh, and temp?

Oqsy

p.s. who's the blue fella with the frontosa lookin' noggin?

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
Those ferns look familiar ;-)

If you need any more let me know... I have more almost ready to split :-)
Hey thanks! Sure, I could use some more, let me know when they are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
Aulonochromis,
great looking setup! I have a 55 gallon mbuna that i've always wanted to plant, but for obvious reasons haven't gotten around to trying it (except a few extra java ferns that are wilting away in the salty depths at the moment) what are your water params? my GH and KH are through the roof in that tank, and I fear it might be more than the plants could handle... i wish i still had the link to the recipe for malawi water composition, but I'm pretty much using that to the t(as far as K,Na,Ca,Mg are concerned)... do you mind sharing your pH, gh kh, and temp?

Oqsy

p.s. who's the blue fella with the frontosa lookin' noggin?
Thanks. The guy with the blue noggin is a Cyrotocara Moorii or Malawi Blue Dolphin. The hump gets even bigger with age. He's a very cool fish, has alot of personality.

My water parameters are:

Temp-76*F (I've found a lower temp slightly lowers aggression)
GH-5
KH is around 12 I think.
PH is 7.6

Many people would think my water is too soft, but according to what I have read by people who have actually tested Malawi's parameters, Malawi is not that hard. Ph is anywhere from 7.6 to 8.2 in Malawi. It has a high KH, but the Gh is relatively soft. Also, there is very little NaCL in Malawi (but there is alot in Tanganiyaka).

I don't add any buffers other than the crushed coral in my filter, and a little bit of Tufa rock. I used to add sea salt, epsom salt, and baking soda, but I found that it doesn't really matter what I add to the water, as long as it is changed frequently (50% weekly), the fish eat like pigs and spawn like crazy.

I have tried plants with these guys before, when they were juvies, but they ripped them apart. They tore Anubias apart like nothing. I even put a piece of emersed Philodendron vine in there and they bit the leaves.

I added one java fern about a month ago on a whim, and to my amazement they didn't touch it, so I added other plants and they've been fine. I think perhaps the reason is because they are older that they aren't as curious.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
hmm... high kh but relatively low gh, yet low sodium? that will be a feat to accomplish... dissolving the carbonate part of sodium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate without either of the metals... sounds like a job for POTASSIUM BICARBONATE!!! YAY! j/k... seriously though, thanks for the info... i'll try leaving my kh up and bringing my gh down for a while... if the fish seem happy, i'll start looking for anubias and more ferns
i've always been a fan of the mooris, and forgot all about the blue dolphin... i might have to hunt down a couple (i hope i don't get lynched for mixing lakes). they're tangs, right? is there anything interesting in victoria that isn't huge?

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Planted Tank VIP

You got that Cyrotocara Moorii from Jim didn't you... I swear I've seen that fish before

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

QUOTE=Oqsy]hmm... high kh but relatively low gh, yet low sodium? that will be a feat to accomplish... dissolving the carbonate part of sodium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate without either of the metals... sounds like a job for POTASSIUM BICARBONATE!!! YAY! j/k... seriously though, thanks for the info... i'll try leaving my kh up and bringing my gh down for a while... if the fish seem happy, i'll start looking for anubias and more ferns
i've always been a fan of the mooris, and forgot all about the blue dolphin... i might have to hunt down a couple (i hope i don't get lynched for mixing lakes). they're tangs, right? is there anything interesting in victoria that isn't huge?

Oqsy[/QUOTE]

C. Moorii's are Malawis. Tropheus Moorii is a Tang. NaCL doesn't affect Gh AFAIK, but Epsom salt does. There are many Victorian fish that don't get too big, but I don't know much about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
You got that Cyrotocara Moorii from Jim didn't you... I swear I've seen that fish before
Yes I did, but he was only about 2" at the time. I only paid $8.99 for him as a juvie.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Beautiful fish and nice tank! Very clean and suspiciously aglae-free. Do you have a janitorial crew (Plecos??) or do you spend much time keeping the tank scrubbed clean?

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

i knew that Na doesn't raise GH... I was referring to another part of your post on malawi composition where you say that it has a low sodium content... without calcium bicarbonate (raises gh & kh) or sodium bicarbonate (raises sodium levels), it would be tough to get to a high kh unless you used an alternative bicarbonate source, like potassium bicarbonate... it wasn't a very important point I was trying to make, just a thought.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Beautiful fish and nice tank! Very clean and suspiciously aglae-free. Do you have a janitorial crew (Plecos??) or do you spend much time keeping the tank scrubbed clean?
No cleaning crew. I bought an SAE, but unfortunately he became lunch.

The tank has only been planted for about a month. Prior to adding plants I dosed with an algaecide to eradicate all algae. I figured the plants would be at a disadvantage competing against established algae. I do get some brown algae, mostly on the anubias. I just lightly rub it off with my finger at every water change. I just noticed a little bit of green algae forming on the glass yesterday. I hope I can make the plants out compete it. I really need some more Vals, as they seem to be very fast growers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode