After a 2 year break and health issues I am getting back into it. 150 Tall build. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
After a 2 year break and health issues I am getting back into it. 150 Tall build.

Hello everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile due to many health issues. Been in hospital 2 times in a 2 month period and the hits just kept coming. But I feel that I am better enough to get back into this now.

Anyways, I am getting a 150 gallon tall (48L x 24D x 30H )glass tank this coming week and will be building another custom stand and canopy for it. This will be a medium light tank with peaceful fish.

So far I have a 8x54 watt t5 retro kit which I may just use 6 of them. I am going to get either 2 - XP3s or XP4s.

I'm still deciding on whether to use the SMS like I use to use or the Eco Complete (Black). My budget is kind of low for now due to lots of lost work etc. But I'm going to do the best I can with what I have.

Here's some of the other tanks I have built etc..

Stay tuned for the build to start soon. Thanks and glad to be back into this again!

\

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
-- Ferris Bueller --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
these tanks are all around spectacular.

Cant wait to see what you have in store for the 150

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've been drooling over a 150 gal tall at petsmart with the same dimensions as your tank. I'd love to be able to grow red swords to their full size and still have room to spare.

Fewer larger fish would look better than many small fish. Except maybe a large tight school of small fish.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys. I'm not too sure how I'm going to do this one yet. I think I got the height of the stand and canopy figured out so far! I miss that 180 so much that I may mimic that one but instead of a 6 foot tank this will be a 4 footer. So everything will have to be proportioned down some.

I also like the 150 talls, Ive always said if I can get my hand on one I will grab it. This deal I am getting is one I cannot pass up. Just got to be careful not to go too crazy with spending at the moment.

If anyone like fast RC cars I have some for sale!! lol..... shameless plug their!! lol

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
-- Ferris Bueller --
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh and I'm also trying to figure out what type of substrate to use again, Ive always used the red SMS but I'm thinking of something darker. Any recommendations by chance? Something thats a little budget friendly? But if I need to save up some more for something nice than I can wait some.

-- Ferris Bueller --
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've always liked black fluorite but you have to dose root tabs for other nutrients other than iron. Pool filter sand is pretty cheap I think and if you're diligent with the siphon can look really clean, but once again you really need to dose it for nutrients. There's also always mineralized top soil as well, I haven't had experience with it but you could ask plenty of people about it I'm sure they'd be happy to give you more information on it.

Canon Pimp Club #032
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice!! Keep the pictures coming!

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
A darker substrate might look very nice. I've used ecocomplete and both red and black fluorite in my tanks. ADA Aqua Soil is highly recommended although I haven't used it myself. Good luck with the tank and especially with your health issues. I spent many months in a hospital myself so I know how you feel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The Marineland 150 tall tanks at Petsmart are around $450 with glass tops a 4' perfecto light and the stand is about another 175 or so. If I could it would be an Eheim 2262 at 900 pgh or the FX5 with 450 to 600 gph, can't remember. I can't wait to see what you do with the tank, spending money is just so much fun and it's even a little fun to watch other people spend theirs too, good luck fellow 150er.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
I've always liked black fluorite but you have to dose root tabs for other nutrients other than iron. Pool filter sand is pretty cheap I think and if you're diligent with the siphon can look really clean, but once again you really need to dose it for nutrients. There's also always mineralized top soil as well, I haven't had experience with it but you could ask plenty of people about it I'm sure they'd be happy to give you more information on it.
I was doing a lot of research today and read that also about the root tabs. I'm wanting darker for sure. I like the looks of that, either dark brown like the Flourite or black like the Eco, decisions decisions! On my 120 I used Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss on the bottom than a thick layer of the red SMS,no CO2 but was dosing Excel and the plants were growing like weeds. I have more reading to do to make up my mind, maybe ill make a post in the substrate section. Thanks for your information so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStrokeKing View Post
Nice!! Keep the pictures coming!
I will for sure once the build and materials start coming along. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
A darker substrate might look very nice. I've used ecocomplete and both red and black fluorite in my tanks. ADA Aqua Soil is highly recommended although I haven't used it myself. Good luck with the tank and especially with your health issues. I spent many months in a hospital myself so I know how you feel.
Hmm, forgot about the ADA stuff, been a couple years and its amazing how much I forgot in that time. And thanks, so far they done a million tests on me including spinal tap, smears, and all kinds of CT scans with dyes in my brain and abdomen etc and they have found nothing, but yet I still get 104.x fevers, glands in throat pop out my neck like crazy, and nothing kills it but time it seems. Anyways thats another subject that I hope I never ever have to deal with again. Hopefully they got you figured out. Stay healthy! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
The Marineland 150 tall tanks at Petsmart are around $450 with glass tops a 4' perfecto light and the stand is about another 175 or so. If I could it would be an Eheim 2262 at 900 pgh or the FX5 with 450 to 600 gph, can't remember. I can't wait to see what you do with the tank, spending money is just so much fun and it's even a little fun to watch other people spend theirs too, good luck fellow 150er.
Thanks man, I am excited to get started and it will be soon, just need to pace myself with the money spending, I always go overboard fast and cannot do that this time which is going to be interesting for me. I'm use to going full boar get it done type of thing! In my line of work I need to get things done in a timely manner so others can move forward with their work after I am complete. I will be posting updates/ pictures for sure.

Thanks everyone again!!

-- Ferris Bueller --

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode