How-To Video: ADA 60-P (Updated with Episode 2 link) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
How-To Video: ADA 60-P (Updated with Episode 2 link)

In celebration of the NEW! Amazonia substrate, we've decided to launch an entire series of how-to videos, the first of which being the set-up of this ADA 60-P complete system. There is more to come, but this issue covers substrate, planting, and filter setup in the first-of-it's-kind ADA How-To video.

We hope you enjoy, from ADG!

Episode 2

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
awesome! cant wait to watch it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Yes yes yes!

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
When is the next video going to be out?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

loved the video! cant wait for the next one

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Great job on this Frank.

I really like that the foreground's open. I think that it would've looked too green with a foreground.

Just a question, why did you use powersand special as well as bacter 100 and clear super, doesn't powersand special have bacter 100+clear super in it?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
loved the video and hope to learn how to apply it to "generic" products and setups
I really love ADA/ADG products but cant justify the $$$$$$ [with the wife]

but Ill gladly oggle your work! keep em coming!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nicely done

-

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Great looking tank. Please keep us updated. The substrate additives are still voodoo to me. I would appreciate a more in depth analysis of these products so I can understand what they are (chemically) and how they work.

e.g. I dug this up on another website when looking for more on penac.
Quote:
Bentonite is being used as an amendment in crop growing. It functions as a nutrient storehouse in our substrates being that it has high cation exchange capacity.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey guys,

We should have another installation put out next week or so, filming will be over the weekend likely that details methods for the first week, etc.

As far as Using Bacter 100 + Clear Super + Power Sand Special S, we always use extra, it's not a requirement, but it adds some extra punch. Amano does it this way as well, using Power Sand Special in addition to Bacter 100/Clear Super is pretty much his main stay.

Bacter 100 is essentially a whole variety of different micro-organisms (according to ADA over 100 different types), and essentially serves to super-seed your substrate as a secondary biological filter, by means of giving plant roots direct access to these bacteria, their health, stamina and vigor is increased, as well as increasing water quality and purity.

Clear Super serves as a "food source," for the Bacteria, while Power Sand serves as a highly porous "base/home" for the bacteria to thrive in.

Penac W is serves to help both balance the pH of the aquarium, oxygenate the water
(the substrate "pearls," but is most beneficial in this capacity in larger aquariums) and serves to clear up the aquarium water and keep it pure. So for example you could have a really cloudy aquarium from excess tannins, etc and add Penac W, which by the next day will give you completely clear water, or if you gassed the aquarium accidentally, Penac W serves to rapidly oxygenate the water if you add it in).

Penac P is a similar additive but for plants, and to be honest, ADA doesn't share much specifics on it, however it does act to stabilize pH and carbonate hardness in aquariums that suffer from too low pH.

Tourmaline BC is sort of a high-purity carbon that acts as another method of controlling water purity.

The additives aren't completely necessary - Amano describes them like taking vitamin tablets - not necessary to live, but helps out.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow thanks for all the info Francis. This will help me figure out what exactly to buy with the 60-P I am planning to get. The video is well made too
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Let us know if we can help you out any more!

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tourmaline BC has to be below substrate right?

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great video.

Will you be doing different styles of scapes? Ex: U-shape, triangular, and mounded.

My taiwans..

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think it would he cool to see progress and maintenance of this tank. As well as you setting up other types. Not just iwagumis

You can call me Bob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode