10gal Walstad-"ish" Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10gal Walstad-"ish" Aquarium

I'm new the boards, but not new to aquariums Excuse a lot of my forgetfulness. Most the equipment I am using are odds & ends purchased over the last several years so i've forgotten some of the exact specs!

This would be the second planted tank i've done. Last week I stumbled across the Walstad design, thought it was brilliant, & exactly what I would like to achieve. Now I just want to say that I understand I won't be following her design to the letter, hence the title.

10gal tank

2 10 CFL bulbs in a standard hood.
- This is one of the things that will change in the future. If I remember correctly, this puts me in the medium range as far as lighting goes. One of my tarantulas is *fingers crossed* sitting with a sac by the window, so I don't want to move her since we will be moving later in July.

A random basic Tetra filter from Walmart that came with a tank I bought for my millipedes. The bonus being it was used so it should already have good stuff in it
- Also to change in the future, am going with bettas, so the filter may even disappear completely (we'll see how the plants are going to do.)

Miracle grow organic potting soil with a thin layer of regular sand. Am debating topping with tahitian moon sand after the plants are in & the soil has been disturbed. I have some that I didn't think was going to be enough, but now that I have it spread out & drying, I think I do have enough for a small layer.

Current plants:

4x anubias (wasn't told a variety, but I know it's not nana!)
2 x red ludwigia
2 x anacharis

To arrive next week:

5 x lindernia sp india
4 x limnophila sp mini
3 x limnophila aromatica
4 x rotala colorata
3 x ludwigia x lacustri

I would like a smallish piece of driftwood to attach all the anubias to, but I am also considering some rocks I saw at the LPS that are tall, so as to eliminate footspace & gas build up. Not really sure which way I want to go yet.

So far that's the only picture I really have. That's from only a couple of hours after filling, amazingly almost no dirt came up! The current plants I just have weighted down until my new ones come in next week, then i'll plant everything.

And thanks for listening to my directionless babble!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Empty tanks are boring

I did go with a piece of driftwood to attach my anubias to. It's perfect because it has a lot of cervices, I used tongs to gently push all the anubias into various spots.

The driftwood came with a plant attached, it was sold as "anubias" also, but I don't think it is. It needs cleaning up, which I will do tomorrow. The box containing the rest of my cuttings will be here tomorrow, so I will replant the larger babies from the mama plant & clean up the large plant while i'm planting everything else.

Grabbed a trio of albino corys when I bought the driftwood They were on sale & so cute, have never kept them before.

Am also very, very happy to see my red ludwigia has sprouted leaves! When my first box of cuttings came, all the ludwigia leaves had come off due to how everything was mashed into two bags & covered with duckweed All I was left with were 2 stems with roots.

I hate that I have to wait until the end of my shift tomorrow to finish this thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 scorpions
8 tarantulas
8 millipedes
3 true spiders
1 dog
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)
That's definitely a java fern, not an anubias.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
^ That.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The other plants besides the java fern are crypts. It's best they are planted in the substrate.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The other plants besides the java fern are crypts. It's best they are planted in the substrate.
agreed and pale crypts at that, once rooted they should bounch back.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! The java fern had been identified in another thread late last night, very happy about that!

Those are crypts!?! Seriously? Now i'm ticked. Big bad review getting posted for that seller when I get home It's not someone from here, but I wish I had come across this forum first.

My new plants are sitting at home for me, so everything will be planted later. Thanks for the identification of the crypts, will be sure to plant them!

12 scorpions
8 tarantulas
8 millipedes
3 true spiders
1 dog
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Everything is looking good so far. Really can't wait to see how everything fills in.

The only downfall so far is that in looking in where to place all the plants, I think some of what I bought may do better in a tank with higher lighting &/or CO2, which aren't options yet. After I started buying stuff we figured out we have the option to move & it's looking more feasible in about 1.5 months so I don't want to put much more money into it yet.

The upside to the downfall is after the move I am seriously considering upgrading the size tank Which will probably to more new/carefully thought out plants

And yes, the crypts were replanted in the substrate! I trimmed some java fern babies & started them growing on the driftwood instead.

Some of the better pictures from tonight:

12 scorpions
8 tarantulas
8 millipedes
3 true spiders
1 dog
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Were you able to seed the tank in order to help with the cycling process? From what I've read (but don't know from experience so maybe others who do have experience with MG soil can chime in), besides the ammonia from the fish, MG soil can produce a lot of ammonia at first so you may get some high ammonia levels.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Were you able to seed the tank in order to help with the cycling process? From what I've read (but don't know from experience so maybe others who do have experience with MG soil can chime in), besides the ammonia from the fish, MG soil can produce a lot of ammonia at first so you may get some high ammonia levels.
The filter currently on it has media from an established tank.

Ack, I just googled specifically for MG & ammonia, you're right. Nothing I read before mentioned allowing the soil to air or soak before adding It is the organic MG if that makes a difference. The store was out of multi tests so I only grabbed a nitrite/nitrate tester, which have been pretty much nonexistent so far. Will grab one to test ammonia specifically when I come home.

12 scorpions
8 tarantulas
8 millipedes
3 true spiders
1 dog
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe try picking up a bottle of Seachem's Stability and Prime too, the Stability will add more beneficial bacteria and the Prime will help neutralize the ammonia and nitrites.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Maybe try picking up a bottle of Seachem's Stability and Prime too, the Stability will add more beneficial bacteria and the Prime will help neutralize the ammonia and nitrites.
But won't neutralizing the nitrites defeat trying to do a walstad aquarium?

12 scorpions
8 tarantulas
8 millipedes
3 true spiders
1 dog
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Prime won't get rid of it, it will still be there. It will be altered/neutralized to a less toxic form for the fish.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another thing with a Walstad setup is that you are supposed to jam pack the plants in the tank from the get go instead of putting in a few and waiting for them to fill in. I believe the heavy planting helps with the ammonia and nitirites in cycling process.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How are the gills looking on all your fish? If they're turning real red that will be an indicator that they are probably suffering from ammonia burns, if they turn brown that can show they're suffering from high nitrites.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode