Jake's Natural Looking Livebearer Rip' - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Arrow Jake's Natural Looking Livebearer Rip'

So this is a video journal thread for my 40g breeder Mexican themed riparium. This tank has been setup for about 9 months, but has gone through a heck of a lot of changes. So, yeah! The videos will be hosted on my Youtube channel, so feel free to subscribe as well!

RipariumUpdate5/25/11

Please comment and tell me what you think!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Interesting hardscape... I thought ripariums had to be half filled, but apparently not not. What are the fish?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Looks great Jake! You need more riparium planters though!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks awesome. Very natural. Need more plants above and below so the fish feels more comfortable.

Just 1 more I promise......

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Doesn't this kind of miss the idea of the riparium? Looks more like a planted tank with emergent growth.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Doesn't this kind of miss the idea of the riparium? Looks more like a planted tank with emergent growth.

Lots of Rips are fully filled with a few plants out the top. Give it time, if jake can leave it alone for more than 3 days it'll start to fill in. I agree it needs some MORE plants in planters at the top.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cute fry, Jake, well done!

What lighting are you thinking of upgrading to?

How about Tradescantia for your planters?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
nice vid! and tank! needs more plants

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

ill buy your light when you upgrade

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
COPY CAT!

Very cool! I love the fry! This is a plantedtank forum! Not an aquarium with plants forum! There should be more plants than water

Its awesome.

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
COPY CAT!

Very cool! I love the fry! This is a plantedtank forum! Not an aquarium with plants forum! There should be more plants than water

Its awesome.

-Caton
Yeah but he didn't say pogo yatab-something! Haha I should make a bid to now. I love putting voices with names! Its funny how your voices are different than the voices I give you when i read your posts.

You can call me Bob

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Interesting hardscape... I thought ripariums had to be half filled, but apparently not not. What are the fish?
Thanks! (I think... ) The fish are Ilyodon frucidens, a wild-type Goodied from Mexico. A great aquarium fish in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Looks great Jake! You need more riparium planters though!
Thanks Philip! And, yeah.... I deffinately need more plants, but I wanna/need to upgrade my fixture before I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
Looks awesome. Very natural. Need more plants above and below so the fish feels more comfortable.
Thanks Boon! Plants are coming... I just need the new fixture before I get things rolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
How does it miss the idea of a riparium? A riparium is an aquarium with emergent growth. I realize that the tank doesn't look very riparium'y now, as I am lacking when it comes to riparium plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Lots of Rips are fully filled with a few plants out the top. Give it time, if jake can leave it alone for more than 3 days it'll start to fill in. I agree it needs some MORE plants in planters at the top.
Haha! You caught me... I move my plants around WAY to much. But this summer I plan to be too busy to do anything but water changes. I promise I'll stop moving plants... There, I said it. Now hold me to my word!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiesexistence View Post
Cute fry, Jake, well done!

What lighting are you thinking of upgrading to?

How about Tradescantia for your planters?
The fry are crazy... with the addition of 8 little fish, it now looks like it is just filled with movement! For lighting, I am thinking a Nova Extreme 36" T5HO fixture, or the Coralife equivelant of that. Not sure though.

Tradescantia eh? I have heard of them, but never ina riparium setting. I do have a freind who has some though, so I bet I can get some free cuttings and try it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
nice vid! and tank! needs more plants
Quote:
ill buy your light when you upgrade
I think we have established that I need more plants... But thanks!!! I think I am actually going to keep the light though. I need something to illuminate my future tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
COPY CAT!

Its awesome.

-Caton
Guilty as charged! But your video was so good! How could I not copy you?

Quote:
Yeah but he didn't say pogo yatab-something! Haha I should make a bid to now. I love putting voices with names! Its funny how your voices are different than the voices I give you when i read your posts.

You can call me Bob
I know right! About peoples voices... Your guess for my voice was really deep right? But then you heard my real voice you thought you where listening to a girl. Was I close?

Thanks for all the comments guys! Keep 'em coming!

Future plants to be added:

Riparium Plants

Pilea Grandifolia
Spider lily
Leather leaf fern(?)
Bacopa (?)

Aquatic Plants

(More) Vallisneria

A small Amazon sword

Any other ideas? Please, flood me with them!!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
If you end up needing some more planters let me know also have some that I modded to be 2 deep which work great as well.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
If you end up needing some more planters let me know also have some that I modded to be 2 deep which work great as well.

Craig
Awesome! Good to know! I have a couple laying around, but I may need some more soon. I'll let you know.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipariumGuy View Post
Awesome! Good to know! I have a couple laying around, but I may need some more soon. I'll let you know.

Just let me know what you are after I have tons of extra Rip items.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode