FenderOffset's 13.3 gallon rimless (PIC heavy) Updated 8/1 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
FenderOffset's 13.3 gallon rimless (PIC heavy) Updated 8/1

This will be my first serious attempt at an Nature aquarium with a more high tech set up(at least more then I have been used to). I have had 2 other planted tanks in the past with pretty good success but once I was exposed to the world of the nature aquarium my view of things drastically changed... and i needed to work on obtaining a rimless tank.

Also in this time period I became fascinated with inverts especially shirmp so I plan to make this tank a CRS colony tank with a few Diano or micro Rasboras.

Now after around 3 months of serious thought I'm ready to begin the tank set up saga.

Yet far my tank is set up as such:

Tank - Mr. Aqua 13.3 bowfront
Lighting - GLO 2x24w T5 HO
Substrate - ecocomplete planted classic
Driftwood - manzanita
Filter - Eheim classic 2213
CO2 - DIY 3L bottle

Here is a picture from once I recived the tank and driftwood, at this point I had just been playing with hardscape ideas.

After a few days of playing with the hardscape and finally settling on the layout I then toyed with some planting ideas. As I see most do, I made one with paint.... (also I would LOVE to hear some plant opinions I should include.

Then after feeling confident enough in the rough idea i had for planting I hit the stores.... actually 7 stores in a day... it was intense. But this is what came of my day:

this, if you can see it, is a view of the tank with my background choice as of now. It's glass frosting cling -- something I saw Oliver Knott do and i liked.

This Is an image of the addition of the hardscape and substrate, I went with Eco Complete (which i found for a steal at my local petsmart!)

And here is the tank after the first day of planting, a little merky but thats expected... also there is a peice of petrified wood in the hardscape that was used as an anchor for the wood.

And now finally that brings us up to date. Here is the tank as of 5/23:

Last edited by FenderOffset238; 08-02-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, before the approaching weeks when i plan to start carpeting does any ony have any critique on layout, plant choice, etc? The tank less then a week old and would enjoy hearing feedback!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like a solid start....great d/w hardscape I just recently started up the same tank w/ similar equipment. hows the 2213 in there? does the spraybar work well there? i'm using a single 24w t5glo right on the glass (too intense), id maybe try to hang yours? 2x24w t5ho that close might start some algae...but thats just a thought, i'm a noob and still learning. that being said, cant give you much critique on the plants. maybe the red plant in the corner might draw away from the focal point of the wood. what all will be planted?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Salmon, as of now all of my plants need the 3 watts a gallon. I Have noticed some algea begining but my booming snail population is keeping up. (I kill about 10 of the suckers a day with no stop on the horizon).
I do plan on hanging my fixture in the very near future, but more for presentation reasons.

Now for an update:
So The tank has been going strong for a little under a month now.
I have added:
Dwarf Hairgrass on the left
Clover front center-right
A red tiger lotus bulb in the back to the left of the DW
Also a schools of:
7 Boraras merah micro rasbora
6 Boraras maculatus dwarf rasbora
4 Celestial Pearl Diano (galaxy rasbora)

The only live stock that will be added is possibly a otto and CRS

Here are a few picture updates:

Apologies for the bad quality...
I tried to catch a CPD on camera... far to active and fast!

Another full shot:
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
wow! looks great! i love it. once you get some moss on the driftwood it will lok great. and also after you let the stems grow and trim then grow and trim. to create a uniform bushiness and height

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks man! I plan of getting some x-mas and fissidens soon for the DW.
And as for trimming ill keep that in mind. Ive alread trimmed and re-planted once! They are goin really fast!

and I also have been too lazy to move the green piping to the opposite side. I recived my glass intake/lily pipe the other day.... but the wrong size (my fault). so i have a eheim tubing up up-sizer on the way. AND they forgot to pack my diffuser/bubble counter! thats what i get for ordering from china and not LFS. Both peices are on the way.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW now i see what your after, that looks awesome, puts my 13.3 to shame It's gonna look real nice (already does imo) when the hairgrass fills in. Which lily pipes did you go for if you dont mind me asking?

Gonna follow this one for sure. I think I might go with a similar natural d/w scape when I get bored of my current set-up.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah i cant wait for a carpet! its my first attempt at a tank w/carpet plants.

Im a college student so my budget is tight. So I went with knock-off glass from [Ebay Link Removed]
I had to order from china, but got a diffuser, scaping tweezers, and curved scissors to make shipping worth it.

heres what I got (minus the diffuser THEY FORGOT to pack!)

I dont know ebay policy on these forums, but if you want the auction info i'd be happy to PM.

As for the filter my dumba** could of swore i had the 2213 but i have the 2211 (the reason for buying wrong size output). Either way it works great so far!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ya....no posting ebay links (from what ive seen on here) but I think PM'ing it should be ok? with that said, I would love the link, as im also on a budget for mine and looking for some glass, and a cheap diffuser or two
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
I second that request lol
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

same. if you could pm me the ebay, link it would be much appreciated!

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*PMs* sent
As of now i cannot speak for quality, besides apperance; and it's pretty nice looking. Not ADA perfection but plenty enough... after all the purpose is for you NOT to see it haha
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Hey Fender - it looks great and I cant wait to see it with the new pipes! so here goes with one last suggestion - the crypt to the left looks lonely, might look better back in next to the wood tucked under it a bit? Anyway just a suggestion - the tank sure does took like its been up for months! awesome job - post those updated pics! Getting any moss for the wood?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey duff thans for the suggestion. I was actually thinking that (even contemplated giving it away). But now with the addition of my Red Tiger Lotus (see the new pics!) that i picked up, i think the space will fill it in.

Now for the update!
I recived the lily pipes as said, and a few days ago got my tube diameter adapter for the lily pipes that i got... although i would not have got the 9mm lily as it would have been far too small for the tank imo.

But I spent the afternoon revampting my eheim 2211 tubing system and added the double vale cut off for easier maintenance.
needless to say I feel the tank looks better then ever. Now i cant wait for my diffuser to come in!

Now for some pictures:

Some suprise duckweed thats been multiplying

My clover is sending runners alot quicker then i expected... isnt is supposed to grow super slow?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

take the duckweed out now, if you dont want it to take over!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode