walmart dry bulbs journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
walmart dry bulbs journal

On Sunday, May 15th, i decided to buy a package of both sea-life, inc apongeton bulbs and the dwarf water lily bulbs. between the two packages there were six bulbs. i just dropped them in a ten gallon tank with 2 cfl bulbs in the stock fixture and a 20 gall aqueon hob on the back.

sea-life inc guarantees that they will replace any defective bulb that fails to sprout if you ship it back. i figured for $7.14 i could have 6 plants in 30 days or any or all of the 6 could be resupplied to me by the company as long as I kept the receipt and shipped both the receipt and bad bulb/bulbs.

so after 24 hours, i checked on the bulbs and one sprouted. all of the bulbs had sunk. I figured at least I will have one plant right.

at 48 hours I had another bulb sprout. that's two. yah!!!!!!

then at 3 days later i noticed two of my bulbs are growing white mold. they actually have hair growing on them. yuck. maybe those two are duds.

today is day six and I have a third bulb sprouted. the one that sprouted first has a 1 1/2 inch green shoot and the second to sprout has 2 1/2 inch sprouts. the three that were growing mold are still very nasty looking but i will give them the 30 days before I use the 30 guarantee.

at the end of the first week, i will post some pics and we can see some progress of the bulbs (both good and bad.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wow! You've already had way more success with those bulbs than I have. I've only tried them a few times, never had a single one sprout and grow. Always just grew the white mold/hair algae. I never bothered sending them in for replacement or refund though. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

after doing alot of research into the company and reading many similar threads, i decided to give them a try. all the threads i read that said they sent the defective bulbs back were all replaced promptly with sprouting bulbs. they were all very happy with the company's guarantee.
i am going to hold them to that.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

it's been seven days since i dropped the bulbs in the ten gallon tank and I took a shot of them. my three that have sprouted look very good. they all have two shoots coming out of them. two are now two inches long and the third is still slow in coming. it's still about a half inch long. from the looks of it, none of the lily's have sprouted but atleast i got a little more than 50 percent of the apongeton bulbs to grow and i think a success.

this weekend, i might start a diy co2 injection in the tank and see if i get any better results.
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
sned the ones with hair/mold back,they have no chance.

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I grew these with great success! pop a root tab under them once the roots take hold... with co2 it explodes! good luck...

Mini-L Do Aqua! Journal...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
I tried these in the past. I'm not sure of the company as I just grabbed them off the shelf in WM, but I didn't get a single one to grow. Went to fish store today to get some plants and they were out. While inside WM I decided to look at the package again while picking up some gravel for my 55g project (journal in sig). There I noticed that it said to drop them in, I planted the last ones not knowing what I was doing, and then I saw the guarantee. That did it for me!! I grabbed a pack, raced home and dropped them into my tank, then put this receipt into my wallet. These things will grow this time or I'll make them replace them!! I swear that, within hours, I had a sprout coming off of one of them. Wish me luck. And good luck to you also reg.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good luck! They went moldy every time I tried them.

36 Bowfront LowTech
Angels, Rainbows and Kuhlis

Fluval Ebi Pimp #28
Cherries! Weeeee!

Assassin snails I think I love you
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 AM

did anyone ever send them in to see if they got any back? I sent mine in 4 weeks ago and still no word if you did how long did it take?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I tried those awhile back in my son's beta tank just to see.. Never worked for me. Wasn't worth the time sending back. I bought red and green tiger lotus from an aquarium plants store online and just rotate out bulbs that pop up when the plant reproduces.

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
I did send mine back. I only had the reciept for the second package I bought, but included a note explaining that and they sent me back a package with about 20 bulbs in it. EVERY single one they sent me grew a plant. I think it took 3 or 4 weeks to get them, but I was happy and surprised when I did finally get them.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode