The terrarium: progress shots (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The terrarium: progress shots (56k)

I'm very excited!
I'm going to create a terrarium. it was going to be for a new agamid but it found another home so I don't get it. thats ok I wantto do a terrarium anyhow. and my wife likes whites so I'll set up a tank with them in mind.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

Last edited by ReefkprZ; 06-16-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: modify title to reflect content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

first concept placement of drift wood. I think I need to find another couple pieces for some more vertical diversity

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

all 125of you that looked at this thread must be dissapointed.. 2 sticks in a tank thats not very exciting.... well the agamid actually found another home. so for now I am setting it up as a planted tank. not aquatic.. terrestrial. but I went and added the soil and some rocks and pushed stuff around a dozen times and only used one of the pieces of wood that i was originally planning on. well check out the pics and feel free to throw suggestions my way. Sorry about the quality of the pictures I just didnt feel like frigging with the camera settings.

from the front level

from the top

from the front slightly elevated (normal viewing angle)

same angle further back

just to show where the tank is located.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Scape looks nice. What plants do you plan on adding? Just curious what lives next door to it?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Agreed with the curious question what's next to it? I like the placement of your rocks and wood. Good job what are u doing for lighting?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

great questions.

first:

what lives next door is a 125g planted tank...... just kidding on the right side is two of my wife's ball pythons (both rescues we do a lot of animal rescues mammalian and herp...) there cage is very boring due to the need for extreme cleanliness. the newest rescue has a history of bad sheds and has a completely cyst-ed eye and some scab like skin buildup that we want to get gone thus the very spartan enclosure, rough bark hard wood that's easy to sterilize for rubbing (helps them remove sheds) and aspen bedding as well as a hideous "shelter" for them to hide in. once we know the soaks and bad sheds are over (as well as chances for secondary infection) more features (decorations) will be added back to the tank.

this is an old picture

Plants so far the list is very simple but I am debating what else to use both for the way they grow and for non-toxicity for amphibians. so far for the tank I have:

Philodendron scadens {philodendron} (yes I know its toxic but only if they eat it)
Epipremnum aureum {pothos or devils ivy}

and probably some regular kentucky bluegrass for the foreground. I may do a spider plant but I know how fast they can dominate in a setting like I am providing so I probably wont.

any suggestions for SLOW growing/easily prunable terrarium plants would be great.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also have to figure out where to put a water dish in this. I know they don't "bathe" often but sometime whites do like to soak (especially if your not around to spray the tank 3x a day or more to keep them hydrated) so a pond/water bowl that's easy to clean is a must. apparantly nothing is more relaxing than taking a bath cause they like to Poo in their water ....

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ya that ball python tank looks interesting I breed bp's but use racks. You can't have ideal temps with that light lol. U have to have a uth? Riight
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

U should put the dish in the corner nearest the bp cage in the open spot that's my recommendation
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
Ya that ball python tank looks interesting I breed bp's but use racks. You can't have ideal temps with that light lol. U have to have a uth? Riight
ceramic heat emitter on the top (125w), and radient heat mat 8"x12" under the tank. if you look in the post with like 5 photos you can see the "dark" light fixture its a heat emmiter no light all heat.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lmao. For sure and hate to be this guy but. Do u have 2 snakes in there? Do u at least have to heat spots? Do they get stressed out? Like I said I have years of bp experience and realize everyones husbandry varies but. IMHO maybe u could throw in another hide? So that there is 2 heat and to hides. I hope I wasn't fooled by the pic. But other than that ur terrarium looks awesome and ur snakes look healthy.

Would u like to see some of my baby's? Lol I'm new here and wasn't expecting to stumble upon a bp'er
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

they don't seem to stress at all. both have healthy apetites, they spend the majority of their time hanging out together. it was the same way when we hand 4 ball's all in one tank. fortunatly we found homes for 3 of them. Like I mentioned We do a lot of animal rescues, so its generally a case of it comes to live with us or some moron releases the animal to die or similar. these animals come from far less than ideal conditions, we revive them and place them in new better homes. I have a couple days experience with snakes.... if they were showing signs of stress the new one would get his own enclosure, but all signs point towards a normal social attitude like most balls. since we don't make any money sheltering these animals nor do we get anything in the way of assistance, if I can run one set up instead of two its easier on the wallet.

You should have seen the cali king we rescued a few years ago, totally mouse chewed, because the owner would just throw live in the tank and leave it untill he ate. needless to say if the snakes not hungry a mouse can do a lot of damage to a snake. daily baths and of course since the snake was so used to live foods only I had to expose the brains on the dead mice that we feed to get him interested in food, at first we actually had to force feed him to get anything into him at all. you ever force feed a snake? thats fun. its a hell of a lot easier to force feed a baby corn snake at 6 inches than it is to force feed a 24 inch angry wounded antisocial king snake. I think I have only ever been bit more often by tokay geckos.

Last edited by ReefkprZ; 05-30-2011 at 02:55 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

as for lighting this tank is in front of a window, most of the plants will get all the light they need that way, I will probably just use a spiral cfl to supplement it since whites don't like lots of bright light. and using a hot bright bulb will just make them hide from the light.

Edit: playing around this morning I took a couple cuttings of pothos, phylodendron and arrow vine (Syngonium Podophyllum) and aded them to the tank. I am probably going to hit the greenhouses next week and see what else I can come up with interesting for this tank. any plant Ideas to keep an eye out for would be great.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone have any suggestions fro frog friendly plant species that would go well in this set up?

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

making a little progress. have a few plant sin and they seem to be establishing well. I am taking my time on this making sure everything looks the way I want it. still looking for some good foregrounds plants. was thinking maybe hens and chicks, not sure though. but here is how it looks for now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode