20 Gallon Iwagumi Style - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
20 Gallon Iwagumi Style

Here's my first tank journal. I'm starting a 20 gallon Iwagumi style tank. Please feel free to leave me you opinions!

My fish hobby began with my wife was pregnant with our first child 2 years ago and I read that having a fish tank in the baby's room was soothing and the noise helped the baby sleep. I friend gave me a spare 5 gallon tank they had. At first I was thinking that I would fill it with pink gravel and put a castle in it, but I managed to find the Planted Tank and Aquatic Eden and feel in love with aquascaping. I was given a 10 gallon and then a 20 which I ran for over a year. Then I inherited a 55 gallon and moved the 20 into it. So after running the 55 community tank for a while, it was time for a reboot of the 20, but I wanted try something different. So I thought I tried my hand at a iwagumi. I'm starting some HC emersed, but eventually it will house Cardinal Tetras and Cherry Red Shrimp.

How's my rock placement? After reading Takashi Amano's interview, I tried to work quickly and feel the placement. I started the HC emersed, but I hope to plant some Echinodorus Tenellus in the back. I it OK to plant emersed? How do Cardinals and CRS get along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
As far as the rocks you have, I think its fine. However, you might want to consider further splitting up the hc into 'plugs' to cover a larger, more equally distributed area.What do you plan on for lighting/ dosing/ co2?

Ehfipimp #340!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(2215)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm dosing Flourish Complete, Potassium, Iron and Root Tabs in my other tank. Once that runs out I'll look else where for something cheaper. I'll take suggestions on the best vendor for ferts. I'd like to stick with Excel or DIY for co2 if possible. So I can cut the HC up into small bits? Should I halve or quarter what I've cut up now?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can't wait to see progress on this because I have a smaller tank that I am going to redo soon.

Btw for rootabs go rootmedic..theyre the real deal, ive done alot of research..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm looking for suggestions for a plant for the back. Something to contrast the HC and still fit with the iwagumi style. Easy to grow is a plus!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
the sword plant you asked about will do fine emersed. i just collected two that were growing right on the banks of a local lake and they were all emersed growth. they have been in the tank for two weeks now and they are already shooting new leaves.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love the positioning of your tank, it looks like you can view it from the kitchen through to the living room. The three rocks that you chose are all the same approximate shape and size. Possibly replacing one of the rocks with a larger one may create some more contrast and drama in the aquascape. Other than that, it looks like you are off on a great start.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacarlile View Post
I love the positioning of your tank, it looks like you can view it from the kitchen through to the living room. The three rocks that you chose are all the same approximate shape and size. Possibly replacing one of the rocks with a larger one may create some more contrast and drama in the aquascape. Other than that, it looks like you are off on a great start.
The tank sits in a crazy weird cut out some previous owner put between the kitchen and the back utility/laundry room. It never served a function until I put the 20 gallon there. After I broke down the 20 and moved up to the 55 gallon, it's been really lifeless in the kitchen. It was really nice to wash dishes and stare at the tank. It's nice to have 2 side viewing. Here's a pic from the back.

I split the HC up and distributed it around some more. I think I'm going to just do an HC lawn and get some taller grass to hide the heater until I can upgrade the HOB filter and get an inline. I'm debating on getting an CO2 rig. I have a tank from homebrewing, but my regulator is pretty cheap, so there's still a pretty big investment. I've still got a few weeks before the HC is grown in and ready to flood.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a quick update. Still waiting on the HC to grow it. I mist it almost everyday with a batch of old tank water mixed with some Flourish. Growth is slow but steady! A couple more weeks to go.

Tags
iwagumi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode