30g cube + BBG breeding - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
30g cube + BBG breeding

I've been out of the hobby for quite awhile because I have been moving around, but I will be staying put for a few years atleast so I grabbed a tank off of craigslist to have fun with. I painted the back of the tank immediately. I like the way it covers up a lot of stuff going on behind the tank.

The tank is in dry start right now and will be for as long as my patience holds.

lights - 2x18W T5HO aquatic life (may add another one if necessary) + 15W strip
Currently using Odyssea 4x18W T5HO 2x10K bulbs, 1x6.7k, 1 roseate
co2 - pressurized
sub - eco-complete + fluorite black mixed

I cant decide if I want to go with rummynose/RCS or make it a dwarf puffer only tank. Would rummynose even work with RCS?
Current stocking list is:
9 black neon tetra
1 female gold honey gourami
1 oto
25 juvenile RCS

Plants from aquariumplants.com. They gave me two extra crypts.

Tank.

I would appreciate any comments, opinions or advice on the layout or anything else.

Last edited by labgeek; 06-28-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pretty sure rummy nose don't have a problem with RCS, the story would be different for the fry of course. But that's nothing some good shrubbery wouldn't fix.

Just a little curious, can you dry start most plants and what does it do for the set up?

Cant wait to see how it turns out!

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My old 56G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
Pretty sure rummy nose don't have a problem with RCS, the story would be different for the fry of course. But that's nothing some good shrubbery wouldn't fix.

Just a little curious, can you dry start most plants and what does it do for the set up?

Cant wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks.

Dry starting allows the plants to become rooted and settled in. It allows hard to grow plants to become established as many of them are easier to grow emersed. I am doing dry start in this case specifically for my HC and dwarf hairgrass as they can be a pain to get going submersed in a new tank, or so I have read.

Most of the typical aquarium plants should do well in dry start. I would avoid trying to do it with a lot of the stem plants though. I am not an expert, btw. If you do some google searching I am sure you can find better info than what I have provided .

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Doesn't look like you have enough room for rummy nose. For they like to school and are fast swimmers. I think this would be better with dwarf puffers. For they are slow swimmers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Doesn't look like you have enough room for rummy nose. For they like to school and are fast swimmers. I think this would be better with dwarf puffers. For they are slow swimmers.
Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking. At first I was set on getting rummynose, but I kept thinking the dimensions of the tank would be bad for them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update

Added some rocks, sword plants in the back and replanted the hairgrass.

Any opinions on the rocks? or anything else. This is my first real shot at a planted tank.

The tank is viewed from the front and the left.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nice. Very proportional. The wood and rocks you have picked make the tank look bigger than it is. A few smaller rocks near what you have would add some depth.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a small update. Everything is going great. I got some new RCS yesterday from CuLan but they are all hiding in the driftwood so I can't get a picture.

The only changes I think I've made are that I added a couple more crypts in the back left and I ripped the java fern out of the driftwood. I may try to put some sort of moss on it in the future. The DHG just recently got a major haircut so its not looking the greatest. Im still waiting on the swords in the back right to take off. I want the back right to get really full and bushy.

Here are a couple shots of my new brackish tank. I originally got a bumble bee goby for my planted tank but it quickly became my favorite fish so I decided to set up a new tank to make him happy. I am going to try and breed them.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got a microworm starter culture in today and got a couple of those ready to go. Just in time by the looks of it. I bought a large female BBG at the LFS last week and she was fat then and appears to be getting even fatter. I'm just hoping there is a male of the same species and mature enough to breed in there with her. We'll see.

lookin' fat

Also ordered some green cabomba for the main tank. I am going to try and throw it in the back right to cover up the equipment and to give some height.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Some nice lookin fish.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Planted Member

Nice tank! i like the shape

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Excellent growth for 1 month!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Some nice lookin fish.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStrokeKing View Post
Nice tank! i like the shape
The shape is beginning to grow on me. My problem is that I dont like maintaining stem plants so my scape isn't going to have a lot of height. I did just order some cabomba though for the back right to cover up all the equipment though. We'll see how manageable that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarabash View Post
Excellent growth for 1 month!
It doesn't seem so fast when you are watching it 24/7

More pics.

The loneliest oto. Still can't find any friends for him and honestly the tank could use a few more(check out the diatoms? on the rock). Maybe the LFS will get more this week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode