*UPDATE* may-19-11 *PLANTS!* 10g "nature aquarium" journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
*UPDATE* may-19-11 *PLANTS!* 10g "nature aquarium" journal

after seeing all those amazing pictures on planted tanks on the internet, i decided to try my hand at one. at first i wanted an iwagumi, but was unable to find rocks that i liked, so i decided to do a hybrid of sorts and have driftwood in it with the rocks. the light in these pictures is very blue, because the fixture has an actinic in it. i will be removing it later on.

lighting: 24" nova extreme t5ho, 2x24w
substrate: fluval stratum and este's white sand
filter: a "dyna flo 2". i think i'll upgrade to a canister eventually
co2: pressurized
ferts: dosing KNO3 and MKP using the EI method

plants will be: a carpet of HC and dwarf hairgrass around the rocks. i will put moss on the rocks and on some of the rocks.

as you can probably see, i removed the rim of my tank manually. the edges of the glass aren't the same height . i also built a divider because i wanted to have an area of sand with no plants in the front.

oops, i forgot to put in my rocks not sure what i was thinking...

here it is with the rocks and wood in place. unfortunately, i couldn't find more rocks like the two in front, which i really like.

any suggestions on improving the scape? the wood has to stay there because the other side isn't too nice. i would have preferred to have it on the left. does the rock on the far right look out of place?

will be updating soon!

Last edited by vespers_; 05-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

Looks great!!! Where'd you find that driftwood?

55g and 20g planted
125g Oscars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
get rid of the actinics please

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i found the driftwood on the ground near a river :P

and i'll be losing the actinics as soon as i can get another bulb to replace it. apparently it is hard to find a t5ho full spectrum bulb...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

might be a dumb question, but do you leave the acrylic divider between the sand and fluval substrate in forever? Nice setup so far
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
might be a dumb question, but do you leave the acrylic divider between the sand and fluval substrate in forever? Nice setup so far
i am going to leave it in. i hope it will be less noticeable when the HC grows in against the divider. some people take them out after they get the sand/gravel in, but i want to discourage the HC from spreading into the sand and stop the sand from leaking into the fluval because the grains are larger. i hope it'll work .
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 AM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
wow I really like it. I like the zen like sand garden in front and that driftwood.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
wow I really like it. I like the zen like sand garden in front and that driftwood.
thanks

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower

Yes, indeed this looks very nice.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

That looks great, the driftwood looks like roots that have grown in a strong current. Maybe place rocks and plants in the tank accordingly and get the current to work in that direction? Planting plants on the left of rocks might help tie them in? (wild guesses here tho tbh...)

James

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikmunky View Post
That looks great, the driftwood looks like roots that have grown in a strong current. Maybe place rocks and plants in the tank accordingly and get the current to work in that direction? Planting plants on the left of rocks might help tie them in? (wild guesses here tho tbh...)
i like that idea! i might even be able to put in a powerhead to "blow" them slightly in that direction.

filstar pimp #171
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i think this will be my final scape (i can't stand the thought of mixing the sand and substrate together again while trying to place the rocks).

filstar pimp #171
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 AM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Perfect. Dont touch it or change it lol.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so i finally got my plants.... kinda... the store has no HC and the hairgrass looked awful (i found out that it arrived on the 29th of april... i went to buy some on the 11th of may...) . the moss was way too expensive as well (toonie sized amount for 16.99$?). luckily i found someone near me selling a large amount of moss and a bit of hairgrass for cheap, sadly, they had no HC.

i'm getting impatient because this is taking me a lot longer than i had hoped and the store isn't getting any more HC for about 2-3 weeks. i'll probably regret not waiting, but anyway...

plants in with no water

plants with water: i'm afraid i'm not the neatest person when i comes to doing this

filstar pimp #171
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
Wow! It's looking very nice! I can't wait to see the moss and such grow in

You're making me want to redesign one of my tanks again.... dangerous o.0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode