Aqua'd's ADA 60-p - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Arrow Aqua'd's ADA 60-p

Setting up a tank with my boss in our showroom/office! This is my first tank that I've gotten to setup completely over 4 gallons, and my first ADA.

Tank Specs:

Tank:
ADA 60-P

Stand:
ADA/ELOS Style stand, to be built by a friend. Boss wants
it orange. Like This.

Filter:
Eheim 2215
The 2217 seems nice, but this tank will be minimally stocked,
and for now the small price difference is a deterrent.

Lighting:
Catalina Aquariums 2 x 24 watt 24" T5HO (both 6700k), mounted on legs.
The light has 2 switches and 2 cords so I'll probably only run 1 bulb unless the tank seems like it needs more.
Heater:
Hydor 200w Inline Heater

Substrate:
ADA NEW Aquasoil, no cap.

CO2:
Pressurized.. in tank diffuser

Hardscape:

Seiryu Stone

Fauna:
Microrasbora Erythromicron (or CPDs) & Boraras Brigittae (mosquito rasbora). Crystal Red Shrimp/Red Cherry Shrimp, Albino Bristlenose.

Flora:
HC or UG.... hmmm.
Crypt. Nurii (I know, weird, but you'll see!)
Maybe some Eleocharis Vivipara, maybe some erio eventually.

What i'm imagining is a sort of sloped "cliffside" look. My boss likes the carpet look, so i'm gonna just go with it, seeing as he's financing half of it.

How does it sound?
Looking for tips and suggestions. Money is disappearing quick, so suggestions like "go with the ADA fixture" or "Lily pipes" are not an option for now.
I'll get pics of rocks and layout idea up soon, although tank is still on the way!

Aqua'd
Clean Filter, Trim Plants, Change Water, Dose Fertz, Feed Fish, Repeat!

Last edited by Aqua'd; 05-09-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
all sounds good. i have the same light over my 60p. Frankly, even with the legs, the light is too much and turned into a BBA fest. If you could, I would try to hang the light 8-12" above the tank with metal conduit (if you're trying to keep it cheap).

With the light sitting on legs on my tank, i've been doing 5 hours with high CO2 without any algae growth. Just depends on how long you want your photoperiod to be.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was worried about that, Do you think just running 1 bulb would be too little light?

Aqua'd

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I want that orange stand and light

Sounds like a great setup.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think I've decided on the light!
Catalina 24W x 2 Solar T5HO 24" fixture. I'm getting it so that there are 2 power cords and 2 switches, because according to this awesome lighting sticky by Hoppy, 2 T5HO bulbs would cook my tank quick at around 14" off the substrate. So one bulb it is! But later on, if I hang the light, I can do 2 bulbs! I'm even wondering if 1 bulb will be okay? Any insight here?

Also, I'm looking for a recommendation on CO2 injection, where to put it, how it works, etc etc. or is it even necessary, should I just do a normal in-tank diffuser?
I don't want to run it through the filter if it compromises that at all..

Aqua'd

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
So if the boss is paying for half, who's tank is it? What if hypothetically the job doesn't work out?

He's the boss it's his showroom. He should pay for all of it. You are already going to maintain it for him. The showroom/business is reaping the benefits of the soon-to-be beautiful tank when customers walk in.

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but these are the first questions and thoughts that popped in my head when you wrote that he is paying 1/2.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
So if the boss is paying for half, who's tank is it? What if hypothetically the job doesn't work out?

He's the boss it's his showroom. He should pay for all of it. You are already going to maintain it for him. The showroom/business is reaping the benefits of the soon-to-be beautiful tank when customers walk in.

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but these are the first questions and thoughts that popped in my head when you wrote that he is paying 1/2.
Haha, completely understood!
We're a small group, small business, pretty tight knit for the most part. http://www.koi.com/sales.
We're actually splitting the purchasing of the equipment, not down the middle on everything. This way if the need to get rid of the tank arises, or the job runs its course, we can each take what we purchased and use it or sell it later. I wanted another tank, but didn't have a place or the money to do a cool one by myself (student), and I'm at work all the time to enjoy it!

Also, this is personal money being put towards the tank on both ends, so it's really for us, not for the business.

Aqua'd

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Shrimpsanity

That's cool. What a cool place to work.

I got up close and personal with a NICE private koi pond about a month ago. My mom's sewing friend's husband's. Got to touch them it was pretty cool touching the scaleless German ones...felt kinda weird. I still like the Showa the best.

I'm about to start a 60p also. Can't wait to see how yours turn out.

Where is your showroom in Seattle?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Doitsugoi (German varieties) are very cool indeed. I like nice Showa too, they remind me of old Japanese art. And yes, it is cool, not many in this world get to take pictures of Koi for work.. My avatar is actually a koi who didn't like the camera flash very much . I also get to help clean the filters... Woo.
We are in Kenmore, Washington. About 30 min from downtown in good traffic.

Ask them if they happen to buy from us, it would be interesting if they did (sort of a 6 degrees thing).

Aqua'd

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Shrimpsanity

haha...since you have access to the Koi...you should rotate out a baby Koi in and out of your 60p....a baby showcase....when they get too big...next one comes in...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
haha...since you have access to the Koi...you should rotate out a baby Koi in and out of your 60p....a baby showcase....when they get too big...next one comes in...
I would but the plants wouldn't look so hot :P
Koi like to dig through mud and root up plants like there's no tomorrow.
Shrimp might also be lunch

Ordered my light from Catalina with 2x 6700k bulbs and dual switches and cords. I figure I might need only 1 bulb on most of the time.

Aqua'd

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
1 x 24 w bulb is more than enough. Glad you found Hoppys sticky, I was planning on linking that to you if you had anymore questions. Smart choice on the double on-off switch. I never got that so I'm stuck with 2 x 24w. I assume you'll eventually want to raise the light. I have to say it's nice trying out different mixtures of light color depending on the kind of aesthetic you want to give the tank.

With a 2215 on a 60p, you can do either inline or in-tank diffusion. With that much flow, nutrient circulation shouldn't be a problem. I got the GLA inline diffuser--i like it because it's one less piece of glass to clean in the tank. Not to mention one less thing inside the tank.

I'd highly recommend reading this post when trying to decide if you want CO2 or not, because as with all things there are benefits and costs:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...tml#post837592

Fire away if you got more questions. I'd say more but i need to be studying.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode