Summer Breeding Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Summer Breeding Setup

I'm heading down from the Bay Area to the Central Valley (near Fresno) tomorrow to get this tank setup.

Specs for tomorrow-

20 gal long
pool filter sand or play sand
Tetra Whisper 20-40 HOB filter w/ Purigen
Hardware lamp with 67000k bulb and timer
stability
flourish excel
flourish root tabs

Flora
Brazilian Pennywort
Najas grass
drawf hairgrass
mini crypts
about a softball's worth of christmas moss (combo of the stuff Charlie Kim sent me and my own)
2 golfballs worth of fissidens
have no idea how much java moss
some reg and needle java ferns

Fauna
40 super rcs from Jimmy Ko
1 SAE (coincidentally also named Jimmy)
1 pond snail

Specs in a month
6 breeding pairs of Pure Strain Black Bar Endlers
2 pygmy cories (They'll be getting friends when we return to SF in august)
1 SD dragon betta named Gyrados, who's so chill I can trust him with fry and RCS babies

No heater, because it gets 100+ in the summer in the Fresno area.

The idea is to get this tank kinda sorta established one month before I return with my endlers, cories and betta to stay for the summer break. It's a super low cost budget project as it's only going to be temporary (3 mos), however at the same time it needs to be done right because the focus of the tank it to breed the RCS and endlers as well as farm the plants. It's tricky because I won't be there every day to watch the cycle, so I decided that because of this I'd make sure to have a very strong filtration system to help with the levels. Also, I'd have the lights on a automatic timer and have some kind of plants and livestock introduced right off the bat so that there would be at least some kind of bateria growth before I returned. I know what I have listed is hardly a bio-load, but I figure it's at least a start and the livestock are all algae eaters so they'll contribute to keeping the tank clean while I'm not there.

My parents will be involved in the process, but only in a minor way since I could only get them to do a water top off once a week.

I'll be dosing fertz and stability as well as feeding the algae crew up until I leave and then, fingers crossed, everything goes well on it's own.

I expect for everything to be messy and overgrown when I return, but at least it will be started.

Eventually everything (but my cories and the betta) in the tank will be up for sale. The plan is hopefully be able to put together kits of plants, super rcs and pure strain black bar endlers for an affordable price while selling other things individually.

Also I picked up this as a project.

It's about 15" long by 5" wide and I'll be covering it entirely in Christmas moss, letting it grow and thicken up and selling it at the end of the summer (for probably about $30)

We begin tomorrow, hope you enjoyed the preview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Super pee wee cherries from Jimmy Ko picked up. (I live like, 2 blocks from him, his shrimp tank is epic BTW)
He put them in a Kordon bag for me, so they shall have a nice, safe journey to the Valley.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a cell phone pic of the massive filter I got off of craigslist. The guy I got it from had 2 of the exact same filters, one for $15 and another in the box for $20. Yesterday I took the $15 however when I plugged it in. it didn't work. They guy was nice enough to let me come back and exchange it, even testing out the boxed one. It worked perfect and he didn't charge me the extra $5, also, he told me to keep the broken one for spare parts. I think all it needs is a new motor ($20 part) and the broken one is good to go.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Packing the plants. I'm not bringing the crypts as I don't have enough. But, I got some anubias out of the larger tank.

Anubias and ferns

Pretty much everything else

I have another container of the moss tiles, but no pic

We head out at dawn! (well, not really... but it sounds more dramatic than 10 am)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Man, has this been an adventure.

So last night I packed everything but the livestock. The plan was that this was Motherís Day weekend and I had arranged the Papi to come up to the Bay, pick me up (Iím a public transit girl here n the city) and take me home where I would surprise the Mom who, I havenít spent Motherís Day with in awhile.

Then I wake up to a phone call at 6:30 in the morning. Papi says Mom, whoís been suffering from severe teeth grinding and jaw pain, need to go to the hospital/dentist/anyone who can help her relieve the pain that worsened 100x in the night. Heís taking her, and he canít pick up.

I play phone tag with the Papi and learn that the Mom is doing alright after some heavy duty meds (the teeth grinding led to an infected tooth that in turn spread the infection through her jaw muscles and lymph nodes. So all of you teeth grinders beware). He also had to break it to her about my surprise. We decide that since I still want to go home, the best thing is for me to take Amtrak.

Amtrak and fish. Hmmm. I accept this challenge.

So I repacked everything, streamlining everything into four pieces of luggage. The majority of it all I Tetris packed into a large 5 gal bucket with a lid I picked up a few days back (best $4 impulse buy ever). Including the plants that I swapped into airtight, snap lock tupperware. Larger items like the light and the bag of chems I wrapped in dirty laundry and tossed in my duffle.

The livestock (40 RCS, 2 Amanos, Jimmy the SAE, Megasnail the golden apple snail) I packed carefully in an old 1970s camera case. It worked really well, it even had a small compartment I was able to tuck the RCS into and not worry about the Kordon bag. Packed it with newspapers, double bagged everyone else, dropped in some guppy grass into the bags and suddenly I could take them as a carry on and not worry about them being jostled in luggage. Odds and ends where thrown into the backpack, and I caught the train on the nik of time.

The one thing that really played to my favor was the 20 gal long tank I was going to get this week fell through and I had decided to pick one up on the way home from Petsmart (where theyíre on sale). So, when I get picked up from the train (on it right now) we're off to get the last piece of the project.

Wish me luck.

A parting shot of the livestock on the train. Well traveled these guys are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAINTRIP.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	30657  

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Successful trip was successful! No casualties either.

Time to mix myself a drink and get to work :mrgreen:
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Awesome! keep this updated, I'm leaving for the summer and am also looking to do something with my 20g L

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

The pool filter sand is awesome. Not as nearly as fine as play sand, a little courser, and a nice color. It was still pretty dusty but the filter is doing a nice job of cleaning it up. Also I came in with 10 2x4 moss tiles, but used two to start covering up the driftwood (superglue). Everyone is acclimating really well. The RCS are all over the place, as are the snail and SAE, the only ones I haven't seen are the Amanos who ducked into the chunks of cement that I used to decoratively prop up the driftwood.

Other than that, it looks like I forgot the fluvial sponge cover for the filter's intake. However I had some spare filter sponges and rubberbanded them onto the intake for the time being. Also I need to pick up a daylight CFL (it's a 60 watt incandescent in the pictures, I was merely using it for working light), root tabs and probably a strip of black background, so I'll drive into town and get them in the morning.

After that though, it'll be done and the pictures will look much nicer

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got the lightbulb, intake cover and a black background. The water is still cloudy, but that's my fault for not washing the sand before dumping it in the tank. If it's still not clear by Sunday a WC and some accuclear are in order.

Other than that, I'm probably just going to get a second light for more even distribution and that's it. Done. Nothing else is really needed. Sunday I go setup a HOB for my brother's little betta setup and I'll probably bring back some java moss, but nothing else until I get back.

Hoping the next few days it clears up for better pics.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Member

Lookin good! haha, i love long tanks!

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I love long tanks too. This one is my favorite so far size wise.

Tank is clearing up, but it's not 100% yet. After I put the prefilter on the intake I opened up the filter to see if any shrimp had accidentally slipped through the makeshift cover I had made out of sponges. 5 had, but luckily only on casualty. I scooped the rest out and they scattered into the tank.

Since it's still dusty I figured I'd show who's going in the tank when I return in June

Pure Strain Endlers. the fry from 2 pairs I bred, I have some 20+ of them and the males are starting to color. I'll be selling/ROAKing some and keeping about 6-8 pairs for myself to breed over the summer and sell. Awesome fish, some of the more vibrant coloring I've seen out of endlers when they mature.

Blurry pic of one of the daddies. He moves fast.

Pygmy Cories! Only have two as that's all they had at AFA, but I love them and want more.

Super Cherries from Charlie Kim's line. I'll be introducing some of them to Jimmy's 40 to add diversity to the genetic line.

And Gyrados, my SD dragon cull. He's a peaceful guy and lives happily with everyone, even shrimplets.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Sweet betta! Is that taiwan moss attached to the driftwood?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Algae Grower

Wow I love your betta. Looks pretty intimidating and yet, cute!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterman View Post
Sweet betta! Is that taiwan moss attached to the driftwood?
It's actually Christmas moss that's attached to an artificial stump. The majority of what I have comes from it after a trim. Then I grow it out on plastic tiles so they become mats that I sell.
I just did a big trim since I sold all of my tiles. So this is pretty sparse. It's usually almost completely covered in green.

Quote:
Wow I love your betta. Looks pretty intimidating and yet, cute!
Thanks! He thinks he's intimidating. He's all bark though, no bite.

Also he doesn't like having his picture taken.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went and cleaned up Brother's betta tank at his dorm room today and harvested some plants. Lots of java moss, java fern, and split a a narrow leaf anubias. The anubias and moss went in the tank, while most of the fern plantlets I am saving to share at the SFBAAPS meeting. I also swapped the betta's shotty in tank filter with a HOB, and took the old one and placed it in here to get the the good bacteria.

The tank is still a little foggy, but as I am leaving in the morning these are the best pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode