dtum's Flora 8 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
dtum's Flora 8 gallon tank

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and am very much impressed with the knowledge and camaraderie amongst the users.

This is my first attempt at setting up a planted tank. I've had one 30 gallon 10 years ago, since then have moved on to cichlids and recently have sold my six footer 125g frontosa tank due to real estate constraints. One thing that I did realize is how much I miss this hobby, so now I am getting more into the planted life.

Got this flora tank:

This is what it looked like a day ago (I decided to wash the substrate a little), poor move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was quite disappointed with a stock filter, it was very loud. First trip to the LFS was not successful - I was not able to reproduce the sound (too much ambient noise). Second trip was better, but they've replaced only the top part, which is slightly smaller than the one I had before, so now the bottom part is a bit loose and will come off any time I touch the filter.

Decided to go with a digital thermometer.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I really love my Ebi. Good luck with this tank. My filter rattles too, but I kind of fixed it by taking out the impeller, sanding it down (the fins' edges) and putting it back in. It is MUCH quieter now. Good luck.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I just had my Flora delivered the other day. That's a bummer about your filter, the one I got seems to be fairly quiet. I haven't filled my tank with water yet because I'm trying to get some different mosses to attach to the background, it'll be great to have a moss wall.... if it works. Are you going to use the co2 it came with? What kind of plants are you going to put in it?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think I will be using the kit CO2, I do not like the amount of space it occupies in the tank and the reviews on this forum for it were not very favourable.

As for the plants - I don't think that I will start with CO2-dependent plants on day one, probably something fairly hardy, especially for the amount of light this will have. Once I will replace the light with something better (or get a second one) I will go for CO2 and more challenging plants.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a great idea about sanding down the fins. Is it whisper quiet now?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I think I'm going to sell the co2 kit on craigslist and stick with low maintenance plants like mosses, java ferns, anubias, and crypts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My filter has been whisper quiet. Good idea to ditch the stock co2 kit. It was um... less than favorable, mine actually came with a broken needle valve. I have been using my DIY paintball setup from my old 10 gal. I also ditched the stock light in favor of a 26 watt CFL suspended from the tank with a desk lamp. I wanted a few more choices with high light plants lol.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtum View Post
That's a great idea about sanding down the fins. Is it whisper quiet now?
Not whisper quiet, no. It sounds like a computer fan/ other components making small intermittent, ummm. You know the sound. Like I don't know what to call it. But try it, you'll see. Good luck.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
If you are still wanting the filter the Zoo Med 501 has worked well for me in my little 4g. Quiet to the point you have to check and see if it is running. You can buy aftermarket pipes to make it all pretty and techy looking.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I will definitely give zoo med a try.

Any suggestions on the live stock for the tank?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pea puffers!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How quiet is the zoo med filter?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
well hers a shot of my EBI and i put a zoomed 511 on it (bit over kill but has flow adjustment on it) and got a dome light stand(zoomed) with a 26w clf as the stock light just didnt have enuf light for the plants i wonted.the filter is supper quiet never here it

hope this inspires you!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode