55g discus tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
55g discus tank

So I got a 55g recently. It was an algae farm. It also came with a large severum, large silver dollar, and a gourami. After finding out the severum and silver doller were plant eaters I decided to donate them to the lfs. I used pool filter sand. I ordered the new coralife 2 bulb t5ho for it, but in the pics there's some pos t8's on it. I researched some larger cichlids that don't eat plants, and wasn't too happy about my choices. At that moment, I realized this would be a discus tank. My lfs has a large selection of discus, which is a major plus. I decided on 2 for now, and maybe 2 more in a few months, if things go well. Both discus I got are pigeons blood, but different patterns. I also have 13 rummynose tetra, 6 cory sterbai, and 1 pleco. The scape will surely get altered, and more plants added in the weeks to come. Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You need at least 4 or 5 to begin with or aggression might arise.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll see how things play out before I add more. From what I read it seems like mos

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

...oops... most overstock a 55g. So I'm gonna take it slow. They seem peaceful right now...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I would second the above comment but with a tank that big and what looks like young juveniles you should be fine.

Those are some pretty good looking fish. Hopefully the store doesnt revere discus as the rare and extremely difficult fish that my local shops do and charge stupid money for them.

What temp is the tank at and how are you heating it?

And ps- you can safely keep 8 in there as long as you have good filtration and a good WC routine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The solid one is smaller and was $30. The more colorful one was $55. They had larger ones for as much as $90. I have a hydor theo 300. Temp is about 83.3 to 83.7 day, and 82.7 to 83 night.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh, can I feed these discus live red wiggler worms? I have a worm bin with thousands... if so, do I need to use little ones only? Or will they eat the large ones? They've been eating frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and beefheart. I also noticed they really like the shrimp pellets I put in there for the corys.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those prices seem fair since they dont look too stunted and the eyes look fairly proportionate to the body and no discernible chipping in them.

You can feed the worms as long as you are sure there are no parasite issues and they are clean. You can cut them into bits or just throw them in and see what happens. If they arent used to eating that type of food it may take a bit to get them to bit but once they do im sure they will be loving it.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How would I know if my red wigglers have parasites?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have kept them in clean surroundings and feed them clean foods you should be fine. The only ways I can think of to know though would be to break out a microscope and know what your looking for or by having fed them to other fish in the past without any issues.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazednSleepy View Post
You need at least 4 or 5 to begin with or aggression might arise.
Just my .02c I had horrible luck with 4, my pigeon blood was the biggest bully. I'm down to two now, and have no aggression issues so just from my experience i would advice if you do add more to get 5, not four and this out the rest of your fish.

Again this is just my experience, so it is not a discus law by any means
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Have any of u kept a pleco with discus? I keep reading they will latch onto the discus... for whatever reason my girlfriend wanted a common pleco in this tank, so I bought it. Now I'm already regretting it and thinking about returning it. I do have a clown and a few bristlenose in other tanks however....
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast93accord View Post
Have any of u kept a pleco with discus? I keep reading they will latch onto the discus... for whatever reason my girlfriend wanted a common pleco in this tank, so I bought it. Now I'm already regretting it and thinking about returning it. I do have a clown and a few bristlenose in other tanks however....
Get rid of that common pleco as soon as you can. They do nothing helpful to the tank and are poop factories that can raise nitrate levels a good amount. If you want a nice pleco or three you should consider the L183 Starlight Bristlenose which I happen to have about 6 left of and could give you a sweet deal on 3-6 if you wanted them. Not only do they prefer the type of setting that Discus like, look amazing, eat algae like no other pleco I have ever kept but also only get to a maximum size of 4" and that takes a couple of years.

Plecos will only try to suck the slime off of a Discus if they are extremely starved. So unless you put a pleco in there that is very hard to find food that they will eat you will be fine.

Here is my FS thread for the L183's. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...se-plecos.html

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yanked him last night.... I do have a small black spotted bristlenose, and small albino bristlenose I was thinking of putting in there, but from what I've read, they to are known for attacking discus.... you know, about 2 months ago I was looking for a starlight or starry night, and couldn't find either, so I got the black spotted from my lfs...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just have a few left and they are absolutely superlative tank mates for discus.

What is the black spotted bristlenose?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode