my first ever journal - 29 g iwagumi inspired - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
my first ever journal - 29 g iwagumi inspired

i am finally starting a journal. i am setting up a 29 gallon iwagumi style tank with java moss as the carpet. the fish will be 12 blue tetras and 6 amano shrimp.

i don't have fantastic gear but will be upgrading as funds allow. right now i just have a hob filter and the light is a marina daylight something or other.

my husband and i made the stands ourselves and they are super rough right now. they will be painted black when the weather permits us to take them outside to wood-fill, sand, and paint. i am saying them because there are 2. right now i have the tanks on the wrong stands but i will fix that when i paint them too (the doors open the wrong way...)

here is the new tank on the stand in the middle of my living room

soaking the rocks. they are garnet schist. my husband and i picked them up outside 2 days ago. i love how they look.

boiling the rocks

cooling the rocks

the stands in place in the living room. please excuse the barney purple walls...we are renting. also, please ignore the yucky, overgrown mess that is the tank on the left. the fish in that one are moving to the 29 as soon as it is ready and my betta is going into the 20 with some kuhli loaches and a completely new scape with soil and sand too.

putting the play sand cap on top of the soil

preparing to fill the tank

right after it was filled

after the first water change

what do you think of the placement of the rocks? i am not completely sold on it but i really love how natural everything looks. i am wondering if the big rock in the centre between the 2 pointed ones should be moved somewhere.

please feel free to let me know if you think the rocks need to be rearranged.

when i get the moss i am going to tie it to slate and fill up most of the bottom. i am thinking i would like to leave the sand showing in little "stream" looking areas. what do you think?

thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

does anyone have any suggestions for the rock placement?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

Looks wicked, I love the placement of the 2 tanks in the room!
IMO, ditch the mis-match sand/gravel, you wanna be focusing on the minimalism of Iwagumi, you'll just distract the eyes from the rocks and it'll look unnatural.
But overall, I like the rock placement and tank dude, can't wait to see how it will turn out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nice start! Can't wait to see how it comes along.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocon View Post
Looks wicked, I love the placement of the 2 tanks in the room!
IMO, ditch the mis-match sand/gravel, you wanna be focusing on the minimalism of Iwagumi, you'll just distract the eyes from the rocks and it'll look unnatural.
But overall, I like the rock placement and tank dude, can't wait to see how it will turn out!
thanks

i don't have sand and gravel in there, i have sand and soil. i didn't mean to have the front looking like that but since this is my first shot at it it turned out swirly. i kind of like how it looks. i may try to get the sand all the way to the bottom in the front so you can't see the 2 layers but i don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes2ashes View Post
Nice start! Can't wait to see how it comes along.
thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode